What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Gallen wants to quit Sharks - negotiating with Wests and Manly

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Paul Gallen wants to quit Sharks and has opened negotiations with Wests Tigers and Manly
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/help/share/
567786-dtstory-paul-gallen.jpg

Wants out...Paul Gallen. Source: The Daily Telegraph

CRONULLA star Paul Gallen wants to quit the Sharks - and he has begun secret negotiations with Wests Tigers and Manly.

In a bombshell that will rock Cronulla's off-season, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Gallen is looking to play elsewhere in 2010 because he feels aggrieved by the club's hardline response to his on and off-field indiscretions.
After being stripped of the captaincy and fined $10,000 for a racial slur earlier this year, the aggressive international was last week slugged a further $10,000 for urinating in public.
Although half the latest penalty was suspended, Gallen is privately fuming and has told friends he no longer feels inclined to return to Sharks training after the Christmas break.
Despite having a further two years to run on his current deal, the 28-year-old now wants out immediately.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/#sidebar-start

In the week since the fine was imposed, approaches have been made on Gallen's behalf to the Tigers and Sea Eagles. Both clubs have shown interest in poaching the firebrand back-rower - provided they can accommodate him under their 2010 salary cap. Manly would appear to be in the box seat after Matt Orford's $250,000 contract extension talks collapsed last month.
The Sea Eagles could use that money to lure Gallen to the peninsula, where he would complete the NRL's most formidable back-row alongside Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart.
But stand-in CEO Wayne Honeywood last night said the preliminary talks only related to 2011.
"We've got two high-profile back-rowers (Watmough and Stewart) coming off contract and we wouldn't want to jeopardise that," Honeywood said.
The Tigers have less space after embarking on a 2010 recruitment blitz, which will soon include dual international Lote Tuqiri.
Wests CEO Steve Humphreys confirmed an approach had been made to his club, but declined to comment further on the matter.
Few, if any, of Cronulla's administrators know of the depth of their former captain's discontent.
Just three months shy of kicking off his 10th season at the Sharks, Gallen feels damning public comments from several Sharks officials don't befit his commitment to the black, white and blue.
The obvious sticking point for Gallen moving on is the fact he's contracted to Cronulla until the end of 2011.
However, there have been high-profile players in the recent past such as Craig Wing and Mark Gasnier who have escaped existing deals because their third-party payments have not been met.
Gallen is not required back at Sharks training until January 4.
Gallen's record of on-field controversy has landed him the game's longest judiciary record.
He's also fronted the Sharks board over a series of hot-headed acts, including pulling a player's head bandage and allegedly squeezing another's testicles.

Today's tele.
You want some starch in the pack - add this guy.
Seriously:
8 Galloway
9 Farah
10 Cayless
11 Ellis
12 Gallen
13 Heighington

Magpies Forever

Juniors
WT are pretty good with both on and off field behaviour not sure Gallen would like WT standards anymore than Cronulla's new found enthusiasm for lifting standards and expections in their own team. Having said that Gallen would be alright for the right price but I suspect this is just a temper tantrum at being reigned in and made accountable.

gronkathon

First Grade
Realistically Gallen is just posturing to try and show the Gummies he does not need them as much as they do him.

For this season Gallen is on far too good a wicket to want to give it up financially

mad max

Juniors
That would be great. Much better than Lote

Galen & Ellis would be a stellar 2nd row

Sack Bryce Gibbs, Daniel Fitzy & Mitch Brown to pay for him

N.C.

Juniors
No way. Gallen is a perfect fit for those tossers on the other side of the Harbour... We don't need him and we shouldn't even be talking to him!

blackandwhite

Juniors
That would be great. Much better than Lote

Galen & Ellis would be a stellar 2nd row

Sack Bryce Gibbs, Daniel Fitzy & Mitch Brown to pay for him

I don't see how we would have the money....and we can't sack Fitzy we would have nothing to talk about.

Forwards win matches and Gallen would be better than Turqiri a lot better but I doubt he would leave the sharks.

No way. Gallen is a perfect fit for those tossers on the other side of the Harbour... We don't need him and we shouldn't even be talking to him!

than when we dont make the finals this year you will whinge ffs
i just dont get tigers fans at all :?

btw Gallen>Tuqiri

RoMo

Juniors
How many backrowers can we stockpile
Or maybe this is the supercoach vision of 23 backrowers, Benji and Farah .. who will probably make way for 2 more backrowers
You don't 38% of games over 13 seasons if you don't know your onions

How many backrowers can we stockpile
Or maybe this is the supercoach vision of 23 backrowers, Benji and Farah .. who will probably make way for 2 more backrowers
You don't 38% of games over 13 seasons if you don't know your onions

we have a few but only one quality one in ellis

most teams u need a avg of say 5 back rowers, 2 2nd rowers a lock plus 2-3 on the bench

11.Ellis
12.Heighnington
13.Gallen

14.Fulton
15.Dwyer or mataka
16.Payton or Moors - prop/2nd rower
17.prop - cayless or gibbs

injuries happen and the more depth the better imo

Vic Mackey

Referee
we dont need him

we have ellis, heighington, fulton, payten, moors, mataka and akeripa who can all play in the backrow at nrl standard

plus the pommie flanagan and j.schirnak, dwyer and rhys curran who all excelled in the 20s last year.

Bench
I don't see how we would have the money....and we can't sack Fitzy we would have nothing to talk about.

Forwards win matches and Gallen would be better than Turqiri a lot better but I doubt he would leave the sharks.
Totally agree mate.

simmo1

First Grade
we dont need him

we have ellis, heighington, fulton, payten, moors, mataka and akeripa who can all play in the backrow at nrl standard

plus the pommie flanagan and j.schirnak, dwyer and rhys curran who all excelled in the 20s last year.

With the exception of Ellis, Gallen is miles ahead of all of those backrowers.

Its a tough situation because backrow is one position we have pretty good depth in, but Gallen IS a world class player, and would improve any side he is in.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
There's no denying Gallen is a very very good player, & if the Tigers can get him for the right price they would be negligent not to. That said, I dont know if I could handle seeing him running around in a Tigers jersey. He is one of the main reasons I despise Cronulla so much (him & Riccardo Stuart), every time he made a hit up I would be praying for him to get smashed, just as I do now. Only this time I would be wishing hurt on one of my own players, ZEE CONFLICT!!!!

TimmyB

Juniors
Say what you like about him, but he is a phenomenal footballer. Add him to our pack and we go from about middle of the road to the best pack in the comp imo.

dubopov

Coach
Say what you like about him, but he is a phenomenal footballer. Add him to our pack and we go from about middle of the road to the best pack in the comp imo.

gallen is a stats player .. the numbers make him look good eg 20 hit ups making 7m per run - woop de doop .. AND he's an A Grade dickhead.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd take him over Tuqiri any day.

Mind you, I'd take almost anyone over Tuqiri (given his asking price would be way too high)

Latest posts