What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Gallen ?

Biglance

Bench
gallen and feeney would be great for ur club i quite like u guys but please never let grahem play lock again

Blocker Shaw

Juniors
i think the opposition packs would be happier than we would be if we had stringer, skando, payten and laffranchi as props on rotation. not that any of them are bad players its just that they are all VERY similar, with the possible exception that payten has a few more skills with the ball. but the others are all hardworkers who go down easily once tackled. for mine, i think we need a fast, aggressive prop who hits the line hard and struggles for every last metre, and can maybe offload a bit too!
we already have skando and laffranchi and possibly oneil and sattler to do the work. lets add something different, more dynamic to that mix to make us a more threatening and unpredictable pack!

Famous1

Juniors
o meley is signed, webcke wont leave brisbane...... WHO U GOT IN MIND thats on the MARKET and is no soft cock

Blocker Shaw

Juniors
im just saying that if there isn't anyone that meets our needs we shouldn't buy someone just because they play in a position that we could use some help in. if there's no-one on the market, dont buy anyone. either go all out and get someone like pritchard or wiki.. who fits the bill exactly or give the juniors a go. no need wasting money which we dont have for something that's not going to help us alot in the big picture.

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
Famous1 - the Tigers are negotiating with Rhino - but he has told the RLW that his desire to play for a Central Coast franchise remains in the back of his mind - so don't be surprised to see him holding out for just a one year contract - or an extensions beyond 2005 being contigent upon the non-inclusion of a Coastal team!

The possible new ventures are a real threat to the Tigers and our ability to attract and retain players in the long term!!!

Just as the Gold Coast franchise have sounded out Prince - Marshall and Laffranchi as potential targets - this is just another reason why we as a JV need to vehenmently oppose the introduction of any new teams into the NRL comp!!

Famous1

Juniors
The Wests Tigers are no longer an old age home, manly have taken that tag, we dont need WIKI, he may be a tough competitor but not what we need, his judiary record sucks.

In saying, the Gold Coast sounding out prince, marshall and laffranchi, quite sure all of those guys are under contract for at least another 2 years. If rhino leaves, best of luck to him, but to memory he join the tigers cause he wanted to be coached by someone with a track record in tim sheens, shame his best mate brett kearney f**ked off to souths, his a good player

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
As regards Wiki - I have not written a single post on his possible signing Famous1 - so I'll assume the first comment was not for my benefit!

In all honesty I see the Wiki debate as a total waste of time - he simply will not be playing for another NRL club except Canberra in my opinion!!

As for Rhino leaving Norths to play under an experienced coach - that was not so much the reason behind his decision as it was to play for a club that actually had a first grade team he could graduate to (unlike Norths where PL is the top of the heap)!

ozcrusader

Bench
Snide the Tiger said:
Just as the Gold Coast franchise have sounded out Prince - Marshall and Laffranchi as potential targets - this is just another reason why we as a JV need to vehenmently oppose the introduction of any new teams into the NRL comp!!

What a useless and typically short sighted comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will the addition of new teams be good for the game as a whole?

All indications would point a resounding yes. These two areas are league heartlands, both have significant financial backing and both areas are under threat from other codes.

Players want to join successful clubs - if the Tigers keep winning, players will stay...

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
No - as a Balmain member I agreed to a merger in 1999 under the concept of a non-expanding 14 team comp!

And it has remained a principle of both sides of the JV to oppose any further expansion! Just ask Steve Noyce and David Trodden for their views!!

The issue is the clubs are not self-sustaining as it is - and the NRL is crying poor when greater subsidy of all clubs is requested!

So how can more teams be supported in a context where the pokie tax will put even greater pressure on traditional clubs???

Meanwhile News Ltd continue to bail Melbourne out of consistently huge annual losses - ensuring there is no concept of a level-playing field!

Any expansion should commence with the re-introduction of traditonal grass roots sides - and be aided by the ommission of the Storm from the comp - as we have flogged the dead-horse in the south for too long for NO result!!!

As for the bigger picture - I personally do not care to see a healthy rugthy league - if it threatens or does not include a healthy Tigers franchise!!!

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
Go and support another team goan - because my views simply reflect the interests of our club and the formal agenda on which our board has been elected!!

The official position of the Wests Tigers franchise is to oppose any expansion!

THAT IS SIMPLY A FACT YOU FOOL!!!!

Famous1

Juniors
Snide the Tiger said:
As regards Wiki - I have not written a single post on his possible signing Famous1 - so I'll assume the first comment was not for my benefit!

In all honesty I see the Wiki debate as a total waste of time - he simply will not be playing for another NRL club except Canberra in my opinion!!

As for Rhino leaving Norths to play under an experienced coach - that was not so much the reason behind his decision as it was to play for a club that actually had a first grade team he could graduate to (unlike Norths where PL is the top of the heap)!
he along with brett kearney, were two of the hottest properties heading out of NORTHS and there was interest from alot of clubs hence why we kept Rhino and kearney joined us then left for souths.

ozcrusader

Bench
Snide the Tiger said:
No - as a Balmain member I agreed to a merger in 1999 under the concept of a non-expanding 14 team comp!

Times change. How long was agreement valid for? Balmain would not have lasted long as a stand alone entity - something Balmain supporters never admit.

And it has remained a principle of both sides of the JV to oppose any further expansion! Just ask Steve Noyce and David Trodden for their views!!

Much to my chagrin. Our administration is short sighted - it would explain single handedly why this JV has not reached it's potential.

The issue is the clubs are not self-sustaining as it is - and the NRL is crying poor when greater subsidy of all clubs is requested!So how can more teams be supported in a context where the pokie tax will put even greater pressure on traditional clubs???

This is the ONLY reason why I would be wary of supporting new clubs - can the game financially support it? I would support the CC because they have the support of John Singleton, much like the Warriors have Watson.

However, to claim that one of the reasons the Tigers should oppose new teams is simply because we can't retain our players is short sighted and myopic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile News Ltd continue to bail Melbourne out of consistently huge annual losses - ensuring there is no concept of a level-playing field!
Any expansion should commence with the re-introduction of traditonal grass roots sides - and be aided by the ommission of the Storm from the comp - as we have flogged the dead-horse in the south for too long for NO result!!!

Like Newtown maybe? :lol:
Norths will be back as the Central Coast Bears - and the Storm should be relocated to the Gold Coast. Bingo - 16 teams.

As for the bigger picture - I personally do not care to see a healthy rugthy league - if it threatens or does not include a healthy Tigers franchise!!!

The Tigers success is up to themselves - how we perform on the field is the greatest determinant. If we win games, players will come, crowds will come and sponsors will come. This JV has the potential to become a consistent Top 4 club regardless of who else is in the comp.

Stop the short sightedness snide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
I am more than happy to be accused of myopia goan!

I will always be proudly one-eyed as regards the interests of my team!

As for Newtown being brought back - if Melbourne was left to the wolves like Newtown were in the early 80s they would have died through natural attrition by 2001! But instead they have a fairy-Godmother called Rupert who pays off their bad debts!!

Newtown also had a fairy-Godmother of sorts in Singo - but he could not save them in the 80s environment - and now he is expected to play that same role for the Central Coast (in an even more cut-throat market) and everyone is confident it will succeed!!!

Singo's track record with ailing football clubs is very ordinary - especially compared with the likes of Shane Richardson!!

Latest posts