What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent

True Rugby League fans want to watch this game. That's the truth.

I dont care much for watching Lote and mostly reserve graders running around.
About as interesting as Italy v Ireland.

Kent just saying what many people feel.
We dont need this rep weekend in the current format.

Joely01

Bench
People who aren't caring or saying we don't need rep weekends have no idea.

For mine 1 rep weekend isn't enough, we need to have even more internationals on a yearly basis. This is about growing the international game, this Fiji v somoa game will will do wonders for both nations.
Especially if it becomes a yearly thing, players will start becoming eligible for these nations because they get to play international footy on a yearly basis.
I'd have Tonga v PNG on the same night at the same stadium.

On Kent, no it doesn't make him a racist, but what it does make him is an absolute nothing as a 'rugby league journalist' he should be encouraging these types of games. Not kicking it while it needs help to prosper, but it is typical DT style I guess.
I honestly didn't see the point of making his whole Saturday page about this matter either, didn't really help his already tarnished image as a professional sports journalists.
The professional thing was to have a small article and apologize if people felt that way about his comments, clear up that he wasn't meaning it to sound like that, then give the game a quick plug.

Instead we got him taking people's tweets and responding to them for everyone to read. Real professional

Joely01

Bench

We dont need this rep weekend in the current format.

So we don't need the international game to grow?

Flapper

First Grade

I'd watch the shit out of that game too.

No, he's saying what many casual acquaintances of Rugby League feel. No true Rugby League fan would listen to some agenda driven bellend rubbish a whole weekend of football and go "By gum old chap, he's spot on, f**k Representative Rugby League!"

He did play first-grade for Parramatta, albeit one game:lol:

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/paul-kent/summary.html

He ran on and ran off after the kickoff. The Eels were trying to qualify someone for the reserve grade semis. I think it might have been Jason Bell. The rule was if you started a certain number of FG games in the last 5 weeks you couldn't play lower grade semis. But if you came off the bench after 1 second it didn't count.,

I think Kent is a merkin, but calling him a racist because he is not interested in watching Fiji v Samoa is daft. By all means disagree with him, but to play that card does not help.

I don't think he is a racist but his article today has done him no favours. Bringing up police incidents involving Jorge Tafuua and calling Digby Ioane a pub pacifist is hardly going to have players lining up to talk to him on tv or for news articles

Canard

Immortal
I think Kent is a merkin, but calling him a racist because he is not interested in watching Fiji v Samoa is daft. By all means disagree with him, but to play that card does not help.

It's the anti-international League opinion that I object to.

mongoose

Coach
who cares if he's racist or not, he's a wanker. I can't remember him ever saying anything positive thing about Rugby League. He's one notch above Rothfield.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I find internationals more interesting to watch than two bottom of the table NRL sides when neither are my side.

Fiji vs Samoa that just finished interests me more than say Sharks vs Raiders

juanfarkall

Coach
who cares if he's racist or not, he's a wanker. I can't remember him ever saying anything positive thing about Rugby League. He's one notch above Rothfield.

Actually he works under Slothfield who works under Chewbecca.

I hope that paints a nice mental image for all.

Yoda

Juniors
Most true league fans will watch any game of league. For Kent to come out and bag a game for two emerging rugby league playing nations shows he is driven by News Limited agendas rather than a genuine love of he game.

Can you imagine genuine league lovers like Andrew Voss or David Middleton ever saying they have no interest in watching an international? They love watching a game of B grade on wet Saturday afternoon.

I wish he'd step aside to give someone who loves the game a go.

juanfarkall

Coach
Most true league fans will watch any game of league. For Kent to come out and bag a game for two emerging rugby league playing nations shows he is driven by News Limited agendas rather than a genuine love of he game.

Can you imagine genuine league lovers like Andrew Voss or David Middleton ever saying they have no interest in watching an international? They love watching a game of B grade on wet Saturday afternoon.

I wish he'd step aside to give someone who loves the game a go.

hating Rugby League (or at least making people think you hate it) is a job requirement when on Rupert's payroll.

natheel

Coach
His comments weren't racist and the backlash came BEFORE he explained it clearly on NRL 360 the next night.

What gets me is he comes out to defend himself by bashing those players who were upset by his comments. About a month ago he was having a cry on 360 to Willie mason that players don't want to be interviewed by him. Well Paul I doubt many will now that you have publicly bashes them in the paper. He could've just came out and said "im not racist and I'm not apologising then reiterate what he said.

nrlnrl

First Grade
His comments weren't racist and the backlash came BEFORE he explained it clearly on NRL 360 the next night.

What gets me is he comes out to defend himself by bashing those players who were upset by his comments. About a month ago he was having a cry on 360 to Willie mason that players don't want to be interviewed by him. Well Paul I doubt many will now that you have publicly bashes them in the paper. He could've just came out and said "im not racist and I'm not apologising then reiterate what he said.

Yep, he mostly questioned the timing of the game - saying the NRL was going really well & how much he was enjoying it ( not the words of someone who "hates rugby league"). He said the NRL had gained momentum with a few bigger crowds & wanted to keep watching it rather than having the comp stopped for a game involving about 11 players who played in the NRL in Round 8.

I agree with natheeel & sydney knight though. In my opinion, the most recent article became too personal about a few players when explaining his thoughts & replying to what was said in social media. That's what will be remembered from the article.

Dutchy

Immortal
His comments towards the players and teams were disrespectful.

With hindsight, he's been shown up as a massive twat. Today's game was better quality, and far more entertaining than Aus/NZ was.