What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent

undertaker

Coach
Kent is good mates with Matty Johns.

Yeah, I'm aware of that given that Kent also strongly dislikes Ch9, and was involved with Matty Johns show when Matty had his own show on Ch7 in 2010 (as well as when Matty had a Controversy Corner-like segment on NRL on FOX in 2012 before Fox Sports rebranded their NRL programs the following year). Actually, Kent was one of the original 4 members of The Sunday Roast (alongside Vossy, MG and Matty) before he left and Gus took his spot. So, his friendship with him went back as far as then.

No surprise that although it is true that Controversy Corner was by far the best segment on the Ch7 show (and should've been longer than 5-7 minutes, which was too rushed), Kent was very eager to put that in his article when Matty fell out with Fatty in 2012 over wanting to go back to The Footy Show only if Fatty wasn't there and Matty was allowed to run the whole thing himself, given that Kent was involved with that segment.

undertaker

Coach
I don't remember the game but I remember Parra and probably other teams did this a bit when winning a lower grade grand final still had some prestige. If I remember correctly Kent was injured and couldn't play any grade so stood near the sideline and as soon as the ball was kicked he stepped off the field. Hope he didn't get paid or if he did at least only pro rata pay for 1 second

That is pretty funny that his first-grade career only lasted one second or so.:lol: But, it's pretty stupid on Parramatta's behalf wasting one player and then playing the rest of the game with only 16 men. That pro-rata pay for 1 second would be peanuts given players didn't earn anywhere near as much back then compared to today, since most of the first-grade squad were not full time professionals and had jobs outside of RL

I remember hearing about MG going after him in the Central Coast comp after Kent wrote some derogatory articles

:lol: Would love to hear more about this. I didn't even know MG played in the Central Coast comp.

roofromoz

First Grade
Paul Culnane, played a few games for Easts.

I had a PE teacher in high school that played first grade - Keith Rugg. Played for Norths and Illawarra from memory.

Not surprisingly he was a gun a touch footy when he joined our scratch games at lunch.

But anyway, back on topic - as Stephen Ferris said on Fire Up! on FBI radio last week, "what a Kent".

Patorick

Staff member
Kent's just pissed that Fox didn't get their three NRL Super Saturday games last weekend.

Anything beyond that is hubris.

RHCP

Bench
Another dickhead who thinks the story should be about them.

I want to hear about the news, not the person who wrote it.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
:lol: Would love to hear more about this. I didn't even know MG played in the Central Coast comp.

I think it was 1994, MG left or was sacked from Balmain, I think he wasnt allowed to sign with another club, so he spent some time with the Umina Bunnies. By that stage he had already signed with the Western Reds.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
In Australia, the media has always had this fixation that someone who was great in their sport automatically makes them a great commentator or media personality. WRONG! A great athlete doesn't make one a great commentator or a great communicator of knowledge.

I think its just Ch 9. They get these ex great footballers on there to boost ratings, they obviously have great knowledge of the game but when they speak they sound half p1ssed.

Sterlo is pretty though, I think while he was still playing he would do sideline duties for Ch 10 on occassions so before he was a full time commentator at Ch 9 he at least got some experience.

Just on Paul Kent, he questioned Dave Smith about the Fiji/Samoa being played at Penrith, and players pulling out of City/Country, Smith gave a good answer and handled it well.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think its just Ch 9. They get these ex great footballers on there to boost ratings, they obviously have great knowledge of the game but when they speak they sound half p1ssed.

Sterlo is pretty though, I think while he was still playing he would do sideline duties for Ch 10 on occassions so before he was a full time commentator at Ch 9 he at least got some experience.

Just on Paul Kent, he questioned Dave Smith about the Fiji/Samoa being played at Penrith, and players pulling out of City/Country, Smith gave a good answer and handled it well.

any quotes or a link to the interview??

betcats

Referee
In Australia, the media has always had this fixation that someone who was great in their sport automatically makes them a great commentator or media personality. WRONG! A great athlete doesn't make one a great commentator or a great communicator of knowledge.

Just take a look at the tv coverage of a MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA match in the U.S. Their broadcasts are so much more professional than the NRL's coverage. And at least the ex-players that do feature in commentary are fluent in speech and know how to talk properly rather than people like Scott Prince who speak like a 6 year old (in fact, most 6 year old's could probably speak better). In the AFL, I heard it is mandatory for the players to undergo media training, which probably explains why the players that do feature prominently on their Footy Shows don't ummmmmm and ahhhhh their way through sentences all the time. The NRL should introduce something similar, rather than continue to embarrass themselves picking random people who have no idea how to talk properly in front of camera.

Regarding your point on Fittler and Johns, they are undoubtedly in the top 5 players from the past 20 years (alongside Daley, Langer and Lockyer), but I agree, a big mistake having them both together in the same commentary team. To his credit (and I may appear biased as a Knights supporter), Johns has improved a lot since he started featuring regularly on Ch9's game-day broadcasts in 2008. I remember he was terrible on camera in his early days as a commentator and was not naturally gifted on camera compared to his brother, but yeah, partner him alongside Freddy and.....I see what you're saying.

As for Rabs, I agree that he is past it and has had a dramatic decline since the start of the last tv rights deal (2007) when the two Friday night game format was introduced, but I'd much prefer him on air if Raaaaaaaaaaay Hadley is his replacement. I guess it's a case of 'the better of the two devils' so to speak. Despite my dislike for him as a person, Raaaaaaaaaaaay is a good radio caller. However, he is a terrible tv caller. In terms of tv commentary, Vossy craps all over Raaaaaaay.

Gus was good when he was partnered alongside Vossy to call games before Raaaaaay took Vossy's spot in 2012. There was none of this contrived "two old men in a nursing home" routine that he has engaged in with Rabs over the last few years. Gus was more focused on the game when alongside Vossy. Gus's downfall is when he goes off on a tangent and gets hung up on all these agendas and petty issues.

Lockyer and Lewis = both great players for QLD. Lockyer needs to have something done to his voice. Lewis still commentates like he's reading the news bulletin. I remember watching a live stream on the internet last year of the Parramatta vs Gold Coast game in Mudgee, where the camera still kept rolling through all the commercial breaks. Lewis only had to do the half-time report, which went for about 30-45 seconds and took him so many takes. Also, his hands were shaking all the time as well. Needs to relax more. However, if you thought Fatty Vautin's commentary during Origin was bad all those years ago, Lewis' performance last year takes the cake with his constant yelling and cheering in the box. If you want to support your team, go ahead and doing it in a seat alongside all the other supporters in the ground, but commentary was not the place to do it, and it made Ch9's broadcast of one of the most watched tv programs in Australia look very amateur with all that crap. Lockyer and Lewis are only employed at Ch9 on the basis that they were both great players during their RL careers and get along very well with the other Ch9 RL personnel, and nothing more than that. In other words, jobs for the boys. They definitely would not get a start on any U.S. sports broadcast.

Finch is crap (his segment on The Footy Show is also crap. They should've given it to someone like Yvonne Sampson, who did a fantastic job on her interview with Will Hopoate) and his days in the media are numbered, so I'm not too worried about him.

Just off the top of my head TNT pays shaq and charles barkley as NBA analyst and has them as part of their games broadcast and on the show 'inside the nba". They are absolute morons of the highest order, Shaq especially is dumb, petty and agenda driven. The guy is still taking shots at people over beefs from his playing days.

They got Reggie miller calling games and he must be one of the most disliked personalities is sport anywhere, also I think he might have a f**king lisp.

If you have NBA league pass then you have also been forced to sit and listen to some of the teams local commentators(for games that arent nationally broadcast on ESPN or TNT) many of whom Ive never heard off but most of them are f**king bias as shit.

Last edited:

Chook

First Grade
any quotes or a link to the interview??

Probably check out Fox Sports as they might have a snipit of it running.

Kent was his usual moronic self with his "I'm gunna getchya" questions which Dave Smith handled with aplomb. It got to the stage where Kent asked Smith the same question twice and when Smith answered it the same way twice, Kent asked it again and moved on not waiting for an answer. He made himself look like a f**king idiot.

Chook.

Packy

Bench
Anytime Kent gets to interview someone other than a 22 year old footy player he gets nailed. He likes to play smart guy, but falls short when it is anyone with real brains.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Dave Smith impressed me with his interview.

Biggest thing was his desire to continually state that his job is to expend rugby league.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Paul Kent being his usual f**kwitted self tonight

i wish this merkin would piss off to another sport and take his DT mates with him

Latest posts