What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor - contract extension

mickeylane

Bench
Mickeylane....as for Bellamy in another 2 years time, I can't really see it. By then he'll be 61 years of age and probably considering retirement from the Storm and The NRL.
He might also be ready and interested to replace Mal Meninga as coach of the National team and be some sort or advisor in the corridors of power.
his family lives just outside canberra - coaching is in his DNA too young to retire -

Belta

Juniors
I wonder if you can really stop supporting a team after 40 years. My 80 something year old neighbour was the most avid South supporter I've ever met. Over the last 20 years or so we have spoken footy over the back fence, his knowledge of their history and the history of the game was extraordinary, he knew every junior and many other facts, one day a few years ago he stopped talking footy stating he has stopped following the game it's over for him. I rarely see him now and miss those conversations. I can't see myself going that way despite my dislike of the direction of the game, mostly because I have no other interests, who knows maybe one day I will...never say never

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I wonder if you can really stop supporting a team after 40 years. My 80 something year old neighbour was the most avid South supporter I've ever met. Over the last 20 years or so we have spoken footy over the back fence, his knowledge of their history and the history of the game was extraordinary, he knew every junior and many other facts, one day a few years ago he stopped talking footy stating he has stopped following the game it's over for him. I rarely see him now and miss those conversations. I can't see myself going that way despite my dislike of the direction of the game, mostly because I have no other interests, who knows maybe one day I will...never say never

The fact that he stopped following the game altogether is different to following a new team all of a sudden . Anyone who switches teams isn't a true supporter. After Souffs were going so shit, the poor bloke probably decided he'd had enough of the heartbreak and lost interest. I'm sure if Saints were as shit as Souffs were a few years back I'd lose interest in the game as well. But I would NEVER EVER support another team....straight shooter...

denis preston

First Grade
2 years very sensible and boy did we dodge a bullet with Hasler ! Still not a great fan of his coaching but he has got the players playing for him ( or them ? ) and that is the most fundamental skill a coach has to have.

I will join the conspiratory theorists out there to why only 2 years as that is never given ?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Haha, lols indeed.

As of today and after 40 years, I have officially stopped supporting my beloved Dragons.

This is a sad day for the club and for most of you muppets who either support or remain ambivalent to this horror signing.

I've never given up on anything in my life until now. And I depart a broken man.

Farewell BTN, OT, grouch et al.

We, on this forum, have had some good times during these dark days.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter
(the last time you'll see this iconic sign off)

Well done Mary you have all ready done well.
Thank god ov is gone.
Great achievement now win us a premiership and all good in the world.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Haha, lols indeed.

As of today and after 40 years, I have officially stopped supporting my beloved Dragons.

This is a sad day for the club and for most of you muppets who either support or remain ambivalent to this horror signing.

I've never given up on anything in my life until now. And I depart a broken man.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter

I will always support the Dragons for one simple fact.

No one coach, player or fan is bigger than the club.

When l don't like a particular person, l look at the big picture and all l see is .... Red & White.

End

Life's Good

Coach
Haha, lols indeed.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter
Iconic sign off. What a w*nker. I will give him credit for being a self flushing turd though.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
I will always support the Dragons for one simple fact.

No one coach, player or fan is bigger than the club.

When l don't like a particular person, l look at the big picture and all l see is .... Red & White.

End
Old Kogarah Boy , I dont like you either I just look at the big picture of playboy center and think , shes got one and you are one ....;..... ONLY KIDDING MATE ......:):):)

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I was all for waiting for the end of the season to sign Mary and still am BUT if they end up in the top 4 then signing him know is just what we wanted anyway just 14 weeks later? If they make top 6 will still be a good result.

At the end of the day Saints need to win 4 more games to be guaranteed 28 pts which is usually the cut off. Hopefully they can win the 4 games (2 against Knights and if Dogs continue to play poorly 2 wins against them).

They are playing good footy, Players look happy, players are playing to their peak some in career best form, Best attacking team, defence is up there as well in the top 4. What is not to like so far, I just don't get it. And they have played the top 4 teams already. Apart from Bronco's they have played the big threats. You can maybe throw Raiders in there as another big side.

Stop whinging and enjoy the ride as this is the best season we have had for a while so far.

Dragsters

First Grade
I think this decision could have been made later in the season.

Having said that, it will be interesting to see how the team respond this week as a result.

With the grubs under so much scrutiny and reportedly having these crisis meetings aimed at rallying them behind hasler, they are likely to lift.

If the Dragons players are all behind Mary as the results so far this season have indicated, then they should respond well to his contract extension.

I for one Dragons fans will be watching intently on Monday.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Mary now has job security so it will be interesting to see what he really wants to do with "his" team.
If it same old same old then it is a piss poor appointment.
If he grabs it by the balls and starts moulding our future as well as taking care of the present (the true sign of a good coach) then I will not say a bad word about losing a few games which is interesting because many of those that didn't whinge the last few years about losing games (in bucket loads at times) appear to be terrified of the prospect of losing a couple of games now.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Well done Mary you have all ready done well.
Thank god ov is gone.
Great achievement now win us a premiership and all good in the world.
Feeling chuffed with myself knowing I kept my promise and that was never to reply or comment on any of OVs pathetic postings....hopefully he is gone for good now.....shows what a complete tosser he was by saying in his so called parting from us go Storm...that in itself tells me what a full on wanker he was

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor's coaching contract extended
Thu 8th June, 11:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra have officially announced that Paul McGregor will remain the Dragons' Head Coach for a further two seasons.

McGregor's new contract will see him remain at the Dragons at least until the end of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The 49-year-old was pleased to remain at the Dragons, but said his complete attention has been, and will remain, on the 2017 season.

"I'm very honoured and thankful to be given the opportunity to continue coaching at this great club, a club that means so much to me personally," McGregor said.

"This is a very proud club, rich in history and tradition with a big passionate member and supporter base and I feel very privileged and grateful to have been afforded this opportunity.

"Whilst the contract extension is nice for me and my family, it hasn’t and won’t shift my focus from the current 2017 season.

"I've learnt a lot over these past few years and will continue to develop and do everything I can bring sustained success to this Club."

Dragons Chairman Brian Johnston said McGregor's contract extension was a testament to his character and to the way he has continued to grow in his role.

"Paul has proven that he is adaptable, he is determined and is always looking to improve which is exactly what he expects of his players, and these are key reasons as to why he has earned this contract extension," Johnston said.

"He is very much a team and club-first person, and a man who certainly has his priorities right in life and football.

"The board is very pleased with how this season has been progressing so far and are confident in the future under his direction as Head Coach."

The former Country Origin, New South Wales Origin and Kangaroos player began his coaching career in the Illawarra and progressed through the Intrust Super Premiership to the NRL.

McGregor has coached 76 NRL games to date after first taking on the Head Coach role midway through the 2014 season.

McGregor has also previously been on the staff of the Country Origin (2009-2012) and NSW Blues (2006-13) teams and was the inaugural co-captain of St George Illawarra in 1999.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/08/mcgregor_s_coaching_.html

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm now hoping that McGregors' appointment this week will have the 'neutralizing' effect on the Doggies having their mid-life crisis meetings, etc.

I know l say it every week for one reason or another ........... but dam, I really hope we send them doggies back to their kennels with a real smacking!

We need this win just as much as they do.

C'om you Dragons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

borat

Bench
This forum never ceases to amaze me by the number of posters so willing to ignore the results and facts infront of them in preference to their own expert opinion. Then double down, and double down again when the evidence keeps piling up.

So full disclosure, I am totally against the sacking of coaches after 1 bad season, any coach for that matter. Instability is the quickest way to kill a clubs culture and you will then never attract decent players. See the Tigers. So for the most of last season I was totally against sacking Mary. He had made good progress the previous 1 and a half seasons, despite expert commentary saying otherwise, made us a competitive side again which had been desperately lacking under Price.

But then towards the end of the 2016 season, there was a string of games where our attack was so disjointed and inept that despite my preference to stick with a coach, there seemed no other option but to let him go. It wasn't working and looked like it was never ever going to work.

So, back to the future and a 2 year deal is well deserved. You have got to admit it, I was wrong and so I suspect was just about everyone else. Doust will be drinking his crownies thinking how pleased he was not to listen to the peanut gallery, and he is right.

You only have to look at the vision of this team after a win to see how tight the playing group and coaching staff are. I don't think its any coincidence that the culture is so strong which has seemingly attributed to the results.

So why a 2yr deal. Well you would think that a 3 year deal could easily have been offered as well, I had to laugh at all the demands of top 4 and not budging until the end of the season. Better to do it now then it become a distraction in the press later in the year. Any coach that has a record of 2 finals appearances in 3 years is not doing too badly when the record was 0 from 3 prior to that. Its not great but its not poor either and its building consistency. I suspect the 2yrs was purely that we could get away with it as Mary had no other offers. Should the success continue throughout this season and next I would think and early extension may happen again end of next year. Or if the form turns the other way then the contract is short enough to run out or terminate. Gives us the flexibility.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Congrats on re-signing Mary guys....hearing there was a few clubs lining up to poach him. Was most disappointed that "Teflon Pete" didn't make an appearance at the presser though. Haven't laughed as hard since that Benji re-signing presser a few years back....awkward was an understatement!. Best of luck for the remainder of the season (except of course if you happen to come up against the premiers)