What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor - contract extension

possm

Coach
Dino boy , I am not a Mary fan also but mate something has changed don't know if its Mary's coaching , or the players are warming to him , or the other teams are playing crap but let's just go with it . We will know by seasons end if they have made the right call ......
Agree, I am sure there is an outside influence at work. Maybe Coyne and his committee have hired some consultants.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So your not happy with the clubs performance this year? And if you are you don't think the collective of coach and players are responsible?
So your not happy with the clubs performance this year? And if you are you don't think the collective of coach and players are responsible?

Referring the team's current performance is one thing, but you've also got to look at the bigger picture.

These include:

1. Can McGregor entice quality players en masse as required?

2. Why has a litany of representatives (current and former) made an exodus for the exit door in the time McGregor has been in charge?

3. Can he desist with absurd positional changes when injury invariably strikes?

4. Can McGregor improve his bench rotation and selections?

5. Will he be an advocate for the promotion of local juniors?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Who would you like to see coaching them? How can you be depressed with the team coming 3rd after they were predicted to come last. I guess you're a glass half empty kind of person.

Ironically, my profile picture suggests I'm really a "half full" sort of bloke.

As for your question, is my choice limited by those who aren't currently involved with an NRL club?

I wonder if Mick Hagan harbours a desire to get back into coaching one day?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well you come across as the smug turd here like you do on the Illawarra rlfc facebook site so I was correct in thinking you were the same individual.

Is that so?

This piques my funny bone a bit because the extent of my posts in the Illawarra RLFC FB page expresses my advocacy for the team to have its own nickname only.

Zing.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Success for McGregor is good for St George Illawarra’s soul
TIM BARROW
8 Jun 2017, 8:38 p.m.
r0_0_1108_1483_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

So close: Rod Wishart knocks the ball back, for Dragons coach Paul McGregor to gather and score a try in the 1999 NRL grand final loss to Melbourne. Can he win one as coach?

PAUL McGregor’s new two-year deal is more than a reward for the Dragons’ jaw-dropping NRL rise.

It’s a chance for one of their own to finally deliver a premiership.

Because, suddenly, and with more certainty than at any time since Wayne Bennett was in Wollongong, St George Illawarra are in a position to win the title in the next three seasons.

They are, to steal the cringeworthy and now largely redundant AFL term, in a premiership window.

They now run hard, they can score points, they have game-breakers.

Importantly, St George Illawarra have players with upside, like Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes, Nene Macdonald, Jai Field and established stars Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin and Gareth Widdop.

And they also have tossed a few very large eggs in the basket of axed Brisbane Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt.

Not to say they can’t win it this year, but at 28, Widdop’s expected combination with 27-year-old Hunt next season provides a senior, experienced pairing who should be at the height of their careers.

Vaughan and McInnes have been two of the buys of the year and were the examples McGregor used when asked about Hunt being dropped by Bennett at Brisbane.

“I’ve got no doubts (about Hunt) at all,” McGregor said on Thursday.

“Ben’s certainly a good acquisition for our club in 2018.

“He is playing with the Broncos in 2017 so he’s not going to help us this year but going forward he’s definitely a player we think will take the club in a good direction.

“…We’ve seen this year with the players that have come to our club in Cameron McInnes and Paul Vaughan… they didn’t finish in first grade last year and they’re playing the best footy of their careers.

“I’ve got no doubt when Ben does come into our environment he’ll play really good footy.”

Even when you factor in losing Josh Dugan to Cronulla, with emerging talent like Field in the ranks, the Dragons have a club profile with the ability to win a title in the near future.

And so two decades after captaining the losing grand final effort, McGregor has the chance to renew some faith in Dragons fans supporting their own.

Because McGregor has already silenced the experts, knockers and trolls this year. #FailMary and #HaulPaul became regular Twitter hashtags last year and in the pre-season, as the Steelers, Dragons and NSW great became a pantomime villain.

Because St George Illawarra fans have a knack of turning on their own.

It’s because Nathan Brown couldn’t win a premiership – and lost his hair trying.

Steve Price was handed a salary cap mess after Bennett left and never recovered.

McGregor seemed destined for the same fate, when the Dragons predictable and impotent attack fumbled around last year.

The newly-minted contract extension takes McGregor to the end of 2019, 20 years after the grand final loss to Melbourne.

The sliding doors moment that condemned them to a premiership drought, which was only broken by Bennett’s title-or-bust plan and the iron will of a guy like Dean Young.

In 1999, as it ticked over 56 minutes, McGregor offered St George Illawarra renewed belief their time had come.

Hopes and dreams were peaking towards reality when leading 14-nil, but the tension rose as Anthony Mundine dropped the ball over the line and Melbourne started their comeback.

McGregor scored off one of the ultimate Illawarra connections in play.

Trent Barrett’s kick to the wing, Rod Wishart knocking the ball back inside, McGregor try.

It made it 18-6, before the fateful Craig Smith-Jamie Ainscough penalty try madness.

So now, having missed out on a title as a player and shown the door at the club when Bennett arrived at the end of 2008, McGregor has clear air to deliver.

As one of their own.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...s-good-for-st-george-illawarras-soul/?cs=3713

Rod Wishart was a classic winger ......... a real decent player and person, not to mention a dam fine goal kicker!

Is that so?

This piques my funny bone a bit because the extent of my posts in the Illawarra RLFC FB page expresses my advocacy for the team to have its own nickname only.

Zing.
You know the reason why they don't have a nickname they made that clear at the start of the season.

Illawarra coal pulled the pin on their involvement with the club so the Cutters name was dropped.

They decided against using the Steelers logo incase it ruffled a few feathers even though the Steelers leagues club is their major sponsor now.

Although the jersey has the Dragons emblem on it the club had no intention of making the team a fully functioning reserve grade team due to costing.

Eventually Illawarra rflc won't exist anymore when the second teir comp gets a revamp (supposed to be 2018) when the under 20's reverts back to state by state comp.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Illawarra coal pulled the pin on their involvement with the club so the Cutters name was dropped.

They decided against using the Steelers logo incase it ruffled a few feathers even though the Steelers leagues club is their major sponsor now.

Although the jersey has the Dragons emblem on it the club had no intention of making the team a fully functioning reserve grade team due to costing.

Eventually Illawarra rflc won't exist anymore when the second teir comp gets a revamp (supposed to be 2018) when the under 20's reverts back to state by state comp.

Point 1., I knew.

Point 2., I thought this would be the case but didn't have any evidence to suggest it was true.

Point 3 doesn't surprise, in spite, of club claiming it isn't in financial difficulty.

Point 4., I simply didn't know.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
good stuff.

our attack is certainly buoyed by the extension of jowl's contract.

his renewed enthusiasm is certainly rubbing off on the team with this blistering attacking effort.

situation normal (2016) resumed.

But, the team has 'improved' from last year.

Apparently this is good enough for McGregor advocates.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Maybe he is more intelligent than the average league follower. Nothing wrong with that. He/she makes some pretty valid points even if it's not in my venacular.

Nah, knowing 'him' personally, he is a real 'dum dum' (sic) who reads far too much, and then actively finds out the meaning of unfamiliar words to increase knowledge. Oh, this guy also listens to an absurd amount of James Reyne, who doesn't write songs in everyday vernacular either.

Some may describe the above a form of 'self improvement and discovery', but this bloke's a boring, crotchety, old fart.