What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payne Haas requests immediate release from the Broncos.

johns_reds

First Grade
So the roosters have no salary cap space but they are after Cobbo ?
Roosters are looking to sign him start of 2024, so will probably have some space by then
However trying to sign Haas now (which they have come out and said they can't) would certainly blow their cap

big hit!

Bench
He's due to receive about $900k for the final year of his deal. That's beyond top-tier prop money at any other club, except the Broncos who paid $800k for Lodge.

This is less about the pay packet, and more about cancelling the current contract and any managers fees due to PSM, and having it redirected to Khoder. Haas doesn't want Orr making any more money off him, and Nasser won't be cashing in unless he makes a deal.

This is a good test of Freddy's NRL coaching credentials. If he rolls over on his stance, then we'll know he'll never make it in the week to week grind.

big hit!

Bench
Roosters are looking to sign him start of 2024, so will probably have some space by then
However trying to sign Haas now (which they have come out and said they can't) would certainly blow their cap

It's the Rorters. They'll register a $600k per year deal, and slyly have a maserati with brown paper bags waiting for him at Sydney Airport.

Munky

Coach
This is a good test of Freddy's NRL coaching credentials. If he rolls over on his stance, then we'll know he'll never make it in the week to week grind.

We already know Freddy can't make it in the week to week grind.

Space Cadet would probably play Hass at fullback if he coached him at club level.

Valheru

Coach
You’re not meant to understand mate - it’s the Roosters. They can’t register a player’s contract which both parties agreed upon, because they are on the salary cap but they are chasing other players.

I’m also sick of certain journalists pushing the Roosters’ barrow. That d******* James Hooper is talking up their interest in Payne Hass and Selwyn Cobbo and how they would fit them under the cap; yet, how many other clubs are after these players. We never hear about these other clubs and the media talking up their chances.

It's because idiots like you click on the link as soon as you see it so you can be outraged about something without quotes that they have completely made up.

As for the Crighton situation. This may be an out there view point, but perhaps the roosters are waiting to see what happens with someone like Cobbo because they would prefer him if they can get him than Crighton? Or maybe they wanted to put a rocket up him due to his lackluster start to the season? The most likely scenario is still that Crighton's contract gets registered IMO.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Not sure why this is on Hass. Manager 2 is obviously driving this.
Manager 1 has a contract to 2024
Manager 2 - I will get you more money than you are on to 2024 and I will get a cut, as I get nothing until the new contract.
Go tell the Broncos you are leaving, as I will get you more than Manager 1 for the next 2 years.
Payne the dumb ass believes this and requests release.
Wouldn't be surprised if they cease the contract amicably, 2 days later Hass has an epiphany and signs with the Broncs on a new contract, shutting out Manager 1.
See - SBW.
Fmd this.
So much this

Wb1234

Referee
It's because idiots like you click on the link as soon as you see it so you can be outraged about something without quotes that they have completely made up.

As for the Crighton situation. This may be an out there view point, but perhaps the roosters are waiting to see what happens with someone like Cobbo because they would prefer him if they can get him than Crighton? Or maybe they wanted to put a rocket up him due to his lackluster start to the season? The most likely scenario is still that Crighton's contract gets registered IMO.
Yep having two full backs in the team on over a million (in reality) is a great move.

Valheru

Coach
Paywalled
Roosters billionaire Nick Politis has ruled out making a big-money play for Payne Haas, insisting the club won’t risk losing star skipper James Tedesco in pursuit of the controversial Broncos prop.

Haas dropped a bombshell on the Broncos on Wednesday night, with his management formally requesting a release after Brisbane hierarchy refused to upgrade the prop’s deal as part of a $3.2 million pay dispute.

The Broncos are playing hardball with Haas, declaring he will not be given an early release from his three-year deal at a time when the NSW Origin star has fielded expressions of interest from five NRL rivals.

Haas has been consistently linked with the Roosters amid speculation the Bondi powerhouse is lining up the Broncos metre-eater to eventually replace enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, who is off-contract at the end of 2023.

But amid the explosive contract machinations at Red Hill on Thursday, Politis addressed suggestions the Roosters are ready to launch a poaching raid if Haas’ tenure at the Broncos becomes untenable.

“Payne Haas is a great player but we have no cap space for next season,” Politis said.

“All 16 clubs would love to have Payne Haas but it’s a matter of whether you can afford him and whether he can fit into our roster.

“I wouldn’t insult Payne and say we don’t want him because he is one of the best props in the game, so of course I would sign him if we could afford him, but the reality is we have a salary cap in place.

“We’ve got a great captain here in ‘Teddy’ (Tedesco) and we have some good props coming through in Lindsay Collins, (Daniel) Suluka-Fifita and Tuku (Hau-Tapuha).”

There is a view Haas has baulked at signing with the Broncos because of his relationship with his mentor Sonny Bill Williams, the Roosters legend who helped with the Brisbane prop’s conversion to Islam in 2019.

Canard

Immortal
Roosters billionaire Nick Politis has ruled out making a big-money play for Payne Haas, insisting the club won’t risk losing star skipper James Tedesco in pursuit of the controversial Broncos prop.

Haas dropped a bombshell on the Broncos on Wednesday night, with his management formally requesting a release after Brisbane hierarchy refused to upgrade the prop’s deal as part of a $3.2 million pay dispute.

The Broncos are playing hardball with Haas, declaring he will not be given an early release from his three-year deal at a time when the NSW Origin star has fielded expressions of interest from five NRL rivals.

Haas has been consistently linked with the Roosters amid speculation the Bondi powerhouse is lining up the Broncos metre-eater to eventually replace enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, who is off-contract at the end of 2023.

But amid the explosive contract machinations at Red Hill on Thursday, Politis addressed suggestions the Roosters are ready to launch a poaching raid if Haas’ tenure at the Broncos becomes untenable.

“Payne Haas is a great player but we have no cap space for next season,” Politis said.

“All 16 clubs would love to have Payne Haas but it’s a matter of whether you can afford him and whether he can fit into our roster.

“I wouldn’t insult Payne and say we don’t want him because he is one of the best props in the game, so of course I would sign him if we could afford him, but the reality is we have a salary cap in place.

“We’ve got a great captain here in ‘Teddy’ (Tedesco) and we have some good props coming through in Lindsay Collins, (Daniel) Suluka-Fifita and Tuku (Hau-Tapuha).”

There is a view Haas has baulked at signing with the Broncos because of his relationship with his mentor Sonny Bill Williams, the Roosters legend who helped with the Brisbane prop’s conversion to Islam in 2019.

Mate your definition of explicitly ruled out is pretty different from mine.

I would read that more like "if he is willing to take a pay cut, of course we would be interested" or even "if we fix our cap, we will be making an offer".

I have a hard time believing that the club that recruited the best halfback and fullback in the game in one off season, would suddenly be incapable of doing a deal here.

blaza88z

Coach
If Payne gets released or traded, or whatever happens, the club won’t be paying him out and I think we’re in a good position based on what I have seen from our pack this season. It won’t be a Lodge situation where we release him and end up paying for him to be somewhere else. He is going to be on 850k next season and if he’s not happy with that, he obviously won’t settle for anything less than a million, any club paying a prop a million dollars a year is deadset having a laugh. Forwards just aren’t worth that much because they cannot win you games single handedly.

You can only really compare it to Taumololo, as good as he is, when the Cows didn’t have any real quality in their halves last season they finished 2nd last. Making 200 metres a game isn’t enough to win you games of footy.

I actually think they know he won’t be at the club after this stunt but they also know they’ve got a bargaining chip, one of the best props in the game in exchange for a gun hooker or fullback would be ideal and not having him out there wouldn’t really hinder us too much, I don’t think. Be interesting to see what his output is like tonight, without reading it in the media you wouldn’t even know this guy was unhappy, to his credit.

Valheru

Coach
Mate your definition of explicitly ruled out is pretty different from mine.

I would read that more like "if he is willing to take a pay cut, of course we would be interested" or even "if we fix our cap, we will be making an offer".

I have a hard time believing that the club that recruited the best halfback and fullback in the game in one off season, would suddenly be incapable of doing a deal here.
He said we won't be signing him for 2023 because we can't afford him, not sure mow much more explicit you can get than that.

I don't ever recall Nick making such a statement and then signing a player.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The clubs don't have the power, the players don't have the power.
The player managers have the power. Refuse to do their bidding and you find it hard to get players to sign

Wizardman

First Grade
If Payne gets released or traded, or whatever happens, the club won’t be paying him out and I think we’re in a good position based on what I have seen from our pack this season. It won’t be a Lodge situation where we release him and end up paying for him to be somewhere else. He is going to be on 850k next season and if he’s not happy with that, he obviously won’t settle for anything less than a million, any club paying a prop a million dollars a year is deadset having a laugh. Forwards just aren’t worth that much because they cannot win you games single handedly.

You can only really compare it to Taumololo, as good as he is, when the Cows didn’t have any real quality in their halves last season they finished 2nd last. Making 200 metres a game isn’t enough to win you games of footy.

I actually think they know he won’t be at the club after this stunt but they also know they’ve got a bargaining chip, one of the best props in the game in exchange for a gun hooker or fullback would be ideal and not having him out there wouldn’t really hinder us too much, I don’t think. Be interesting to see what his output is like tonight, without reading it in the media you wouldn’t even know this guy was unhappy, to his credit.
128m, 25 tackles....well below his high standards.

Latest posts