What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

peach officially gone

probably worth its own thread

http://www.superleague.co.uk/news/1413

Fan power has helped Widnes Vikings secure the signature of Cronulla Sharks full-back David Peachey on a two-year contract starting in 2006.

Supporters group Vikings Quids In (VIQI) has donated a cheque for £20,000 towards what is widely regarded as the club’s biggest signing since Jonathan Davies.

VIQI members donate £1 a week to help strengthen the Vikings squad and this is the biggest single donation the group has made.

Peachey, 31, leaves Cronulla after 11 years. He has currently played 221 NRL matches since joining the Sharks from hometown club Dubbo Macquarie Raiders.

He made his debut in 1994 and has scored 105 tries during that period. He represented New South Wales in 2000 and has represented the Kangaroos in the Tri-Nations Series. He also played for Australia in the Super League Test of 1997.

The Peach, as he is known, also set up the David Peachey Foundation to help indigenous Australian children towards careers in sport and he is a tireless worker on community projects.

Peachey stands 6ft 3in and weighs 14 stones. He is regarded as one of the finest attacking full-backs in the Australian game and continues to perform at the highest level.

“I am really looking forward to coming to England and starting another chapter in my career,” said Peachey.

“I visited England in 1997 for the World Club Championship and enjoyed my time there.

“When Widnes gave me the chance to move to Super League I was pleased that the offer came from one of the clubs that has performed on a World stage.

“I accepted the offer because I am certain the club can once more attain their position as a club that challenges for honours.

“I am looking forward to playing my part in that rise and to working with Frank Endacott who is a World renowned coach.”

Endacott was equally pleased with the signing, saying: “I am excited about the signing of David.

“I have coached against him on many occasions over the years and know exactly how dangerous he can be.

“His is the kind of flagship signing we have been looking for and I think it sends out a message to our fans of how serious we are about 2006.

“Therefore I think it’s superb that VIQI have been able to get involved with his signature and I hope this will channel more of our fans towards the group.

“The more people contributing the more opportunity we will have to compete for big name signings like David and I promise our fans that he is only the first of an exciting group of players I am looking to bring to Halton Stadium.”

Club chairman, Tony Chambers, added: “When you look at David Peachey’s playing record you can see exactly why Frank was so keen to sign him.

“His capture, in the face of competition from other clubs both here and in Australia, is a major coup and certainly our highest profile signing since returning to Super League.

“The signing shows how ambitious we are as a club and how much we are looking forward to next season.

“We still have a big job to secure our position this season but we are determined to do all we can to repay the magnificent support of our fans, sponsors and Halton Borough Council with the quality team that such support deserves and which befits the new Halton Stadium, the final phase of which is now nearing completion.

“I would like to thank VIQI for their contribution to this signing. They have been of significant help with other signings in the past but this is their biggest single contribution and being involved with such a high-profile signing as this can only add grist to their mill.”

Jason Shaw, who sits on the committee of VIQI and co-ordinates much of the fund-raising, said: “When VIQI was formed it was to help the club sign players of David Peachey’s pedigree.

“He is an exciting player and with him in the team I think there will be a lot of exciting times ahead over the next two seasons.”

ali

Bench
As said, if Widnes get relegated the contract will not stand. Currently they are in the relegation zone, and deservingly so.

On another note, gotta love the English press releases. I've got no doubt Peach didn't say any of that. I'm surprised they didn't quote him as saying he was looking forward to a different style of "rugby".

ali said:
As said, if Widnes get relegated the contract will not stand. Currently they are in the relegation zone, and deservingly so.

On another note, gotta love the English press releases. I've got no doubt Peach didn't say any of that. I'm surprised they didn't quote him as saying he was looking forward to a different style of "rugby".

Who else in the currecnt widnes squad would be potential for sharks if get relegated, i assume all contracts would then be void

Dread

Juniors
:cry:

Last round at Toyota Park will be a big thing. Perhaps not the same buzz as ET's send off, but close.

BWNB

First Grade
it will be a very sad day peach does leave the sharks, i have been surropting for my life and he has always been at the back nothing will beaet his fist pumps and put downs on the dead ball line
we will miss you peach.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
sydneysharkbrisbane68 said:
Who else in the currecnt widnes squad would be potential for sharks if get relegated, i assume all contracts would then be void

:lol: Of course all contracts are not void! They still have to field a team and this is a special clause for Peachey.

Special K

Coach
Very sad news. It won't hit me for a few months but.

I'm glad we had him for 11 seasons but. What a player!

Frenzy.

Post Whore
“His capture, in the face of competition from other clubs both here and in Australia, is a major coup and certainly our highest profile signing since returning to Super League.

Curious quote. If there were other clubs after him why pick the one that might be relegated?

black_dot

Juniors
Yeah, thats a point, perhaps widnes had the best money offer on the table and he was able to get that clause about relegation put in, knowing that if they are relegated, he has another UK club ready to go ?

seems a stretch though, cause the other UK club would have to set their sites on their import players pretty early, and to wait until varification of widness and peaches position at seasons end may be too late........unless the french and David waite have their eye on him...

Frenzy.

Post Whore
black_dot said:
Yeah, thats a point, perhaps widnes had the best money offer on the table and he was able to get that clause about relegation put in, knowing that if they are relegated, he has another UK club ready to go ?

seems a stretch though, cause the other UK club would have to set their sites on their import players pretty early, and to wait until varification of widness and peaches position at seasons end may be too late........unless the french and David waite have their eye on him...

Well let's face it. The article is totally bodgy in parts.

Played for Australia in a Tri Series?? I think not.

Not to worry, I just hope they are not relegated so the Peach can go out with some extra superannuation.

Jono Russell

Bench
that is plain and simply farged, Peach is a sharky, i hope they loose every match i couldnt see the sharks without the Peach