What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Blitz

OldPanther

Coach
It has always been a problem in NRL, how can referees stop teams deliberately giving away penalties near the try line to stop the opposition scoring a try, so they only get 2 points put on them? This is especially relevant in recent times since it is so easy to give away penalties with the high penalty rate.... so how can it be stopped?

Sin bin and keep sin binning. Teams down to 10 or 11 players will work it out.

T-Boon

Coach
It has always been a problem in NRL, how can referees stop teams deliberately giving away penalties near the try line to stop the opposition scoring a try, so they only get 2 points put on them? This is especially relevant in recent times since it is so easy to give away penalties with the high penalty rate.... so how can it be stopped?

After a successful penalty goal restart play with a line drop out rather than a kick off.

Clifferd

Coach
5 penalties in sharks v roosters half time

Suddenly in a week sharks are extremely disciplined

Makes sense

mave

Coach
Anyway, the whistle has been well and truly packed away for frivolous sht.

This game has been most enjoyable this far.

Clifferd

Coach
Anyway, the whistle has been well and truly packed away for frivolous sht.

This game has been most enjoyable this far.

Every game since that Sharks Melb game has been enjoyable to be fair

Looks like nobody apart from about 5 people in this thread thought the 34 penalties was a good idea lol

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Read the quoted post again Saxy boy.

You'll work it ... as quickly as the coaches and players have.

T-Boon

Coach
It is just a shame that the one group who have shown over the years that they have no interest or concern for the overall product but rather total focus on their own selfish motivations (namely winning) also has total power and control over referees, the administration of the game and therefore the whole way the game is played.

This is absolutely holding the game back. Anything that can strip NRL coaches of power over the gameplay would be a positive move.

Thanks for the wrestle coaches, thanks for gang tackles coaches, thanks for all the decoys coaches, thanks for the offside tactics coaches, thanks for tunnel ball coaches, thanks for five and bomb coaches, thanks for killing the chip kick coaches.

Saxon

Bench
Read the quoted post again Saxy boy.

You'll work it ... as quickly as the coaches and players have.
Oh, I read it.
The clubs haven't got much better (just watch the games yesterday for evidence of that). It's more that the refs have been put back in their place by Channel nein.

Spot On

Coach
Pfft.

Watched both games.

A massive change from players and coaches. Ruck is most definitely cleaner too. That's a no brainer.

Much better to watch.

Refs must now keep it this way and not be dictated to by the players as has been the case for years.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Shame that 9 and NewsCorp have had their way, I didn't realise just how much I appreciated the play the ball cleanup until I tried watching Super League and saw 10 tunnel balls in a row.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Playing the Ball with the foot seeems to still be tightly policed which is good. They’ve given up,on the offside and we’ve gone back to the normal 2 token penalties each. Wrestling I’m not sure they ever clamped down on.