What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Differentials

Danish

Referee
In those 10 years, we've had 5 coaches, and probably 100 players come and go at the club. I struggle to see how we could have such a consistent amount of penalties awarded against us while receiving consistently so few and have it be the fault of our tactics.

As I mentioned in another thread, its not a conspiracy, it is just absolute proof of terrible coaching in the refereeing ranks. Tip sheets, video sessions, learning every player's name and nickname so they can target them instead of simply calling their number, and all sorts of other ridiculous practices brought in by Finch, maintained by Harrigan, and now continued on be Archer lead refs to go into games with preconceived ideas about what particular players give to watch out for and what particular teams to keep on top of instead of simply calling what they see.

These preconceived notions, once in place, then become self-fulfilling prophecies i.e. X team/player has a rep for giving away penalties, so X team/player gets refereed more strictly, leading to X team/player giving away more penalties. This then works in reverse for teams and players which refs have decided are cleanskins (think about why guys like Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon used to get away with murder in the ruck and at the judiciary while the likes of Morley or Matai only had to breathe on someone too long to get pinged).

People will ignore this though just to follow some ridiculous shoe horned "roosters give away penalties on purpose" bullshit which, despite apparently being such an apparently obvious and advantageous tactic, has never been copied by another side and was only identified late in the 2013 season by cranky old Wayne Bennett after Maloney had the gaul to give away a shocking 1 penalty in a row for holding down after a dubious turnover close to our line.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Of course it's ill discipline, the more penalties and turnovers you give away the more you are without the ball. Harder to get penalties as a result. Majority of penalties happen when not in possession.

We must have had some ball to win the last 2 minor premierships.

typicalfan

Coach
In those 10 years, we've had 5 coaches, and probably 100 players come and go at the club. I struggle to see how we could have such a consistent amount of penalties awarded against us while receiving consistently so few and have it be the fault of our tactics.

As I mentioned in another thread, its not a conspiracy, it is just absolute proof of terrible coaching in the refereeing ranks. Tip sheets, video sessions, learning every player's name and nickname so they can target them instead of simply calling their number, and all sorts of other ridiculous practices brought in by Finch, maintained by Harrigan, and now continued on be Archer lead refs to go into games with preconceived ideas about what particular players give to watch out for and what particular teams to keep on top of instead of simply calling what they see.

These preconceived notions, once in place, then become self-fulfilling prophecies i.e. X team/player has a rep for giving away penalties, so X team/player gets refereed more strictly, leading to X team/player giving away more penalties. This then works in reverse for teams and players which refs have decided are cleanskins (think about why guys like Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon used to get away with murder in the ruck and at the judiciary while the likes of Morley or Matai only had to breathe on someone too long to get pinged).

People will ignore this though just to follow some ridiculous shoe horned "roosters give away penalties on purpose" bullshit which, despite apparently being such an apparently obvious and advantageous tactic, has never been copied by another side and was only identified late in the 2013 season by cranky old Wayne Bennett after Maloney had the gaul to give away a shocking 1 penalty in a row for holding down after a dubious turnover close to our line.

Denying it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Other teams do it as well. Bulldogs did it in 2012 quite a bit, most teams do it. But I guess the Roosters just resort to it more than other sides.

orochimaru

Juniors
What a willfully ignorant trash article. Anybody with any intelligence at all would know that an uneven count is not inherently unfair. The Roosters intentionally give away penalties as f**king strategy.

special-boy_c_221579.jpg

Danish

Referee
Denying it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Other teams do it as well. Bulldogs did it in 2012 quite a bit, most teams do it. But I guess the Roosters just resort to it more than other sides.

And how does that relate to us not getting penalties

Canard

Immortal
Can someone point out where in the rulebook it states that the referees are obliged to give a even share of penalties?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Someone has to have the most penalties since 2005.

It's the Roosters. Why?

But because they have the least discipline.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
to all the rorters fans bitching.
have a look at the 2002 major semi against the broncos
then stfu

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah, right. I mean cause every coach wants there team to have to defend inside their own 20 metre line for 15-20 minutes game after game and make 70-80 more tackles per game for the whole season eh :lol:

The roosters are experts at bending the rules. They happily give away penalties at times when it doesn't really matter (early in the tackle count, near half time, near their line) because it kills the momentum of the other team.

They deserve everything they get, cheating shits.

Danish

Referee
Can someone point out where in the rulebook it states that the referees are obliged to give a even share of penalties?

They don't have to. But how many penalties a team gives away is governed largely by their discipline I am told, so why is it that teams who generally give away a shit tonne of penalties (the storm, the bulldogs, Manly, etc) miraculously become choir boys when they play us?

Jason Maher

Immortal
A quality whinge. No surprise the Roosters second biggest sook of a fan is in here going off. The only mystery is where their biggest sook of a fan is.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I had posted some of this on one of the other Rooster conspiracy threads:

Interesting way to look at it:

Penalties received
Souths 167
Easts 162
Difference +3%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 22,261
Easts 19,368
Difference +13%

Not too far away, 3 and 13.

What about 2014?

Penalties received
Souths 219
Easts 135
Difference +38%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 19,888
Easts 14,102
Difference +29%

So 38 to 29. Again fairly close.

Why? Simple .......

"BOOOOOOOOO". and "GETIMONSIDE"

__

I wouldn't argue that is the sole reason, far from it, but you can't whinge that we seem to boo all game and then think that it has no effect. The refs may be Voldemort's but they are not robots.

So I would say to the Roosters supporters, get off your couch and actually turn up at games and support your team. Clearly the guys that post here go to games, so get your mates to do the same each week. May even become a habit.

Cheers

Jason Maher

Immortal
What the author left out is how every single penalty awarded against the Dragons was completely unfair. And also how there were another 500 penalties we should have received. The NRL clearly has it in for us.