What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith and Saints face last spot

Jamesy

Juniors
[quote="nrl.com]Penrith and Saints face last spot

23 March 2005

Penrith and St George Illawarra started the pre-season among the premiership favourites but - come Monday - one of the two will be on its own at the bottom of the NRL table.

That's right - last spot.

Only weeks ago it was unthinkable.

Now it's a reality.

St George Illawarra captain Trent Barrett has already acknowledged the spectre of running last is hanging over his side.

Penrith coach John Lang is less concerned.

He can afford to be.

The Panthers mentor has a premiership under his belt and is comfortably ensconced at the foot of the mountain.

"It's pretty irrelevant at this stage of the year," Lang said.

"Somebody has to be running last after the first round. It's where you're running at the end of the 26 rounds that's going to count."

Dragons coach Nathan Brown can't afford such ambivalence.

Brown's position has been under intense scrutiny from the day the season kicked off and another loss would leave the joint venture club winless three rounds into the competition.

Lang can empathise with his St George Illawarra counterpart.

When he first joined Penrith, the Panthers opened the season with eight straight losses and finished nearer the bottom of the ladder than the top.

A year later they won the premiership.

"Every coach goes through that at some stage," Lang said.

"Browny is in the early stages of his career so there's more pressure on when you don't have the runs on the board.

"If Browny is going to coach in the NRL for 10 or 20 years it won't be the last time he goes through it.

"It's just part of the deal."

That's likely to be cold comfort for Brown, whose side is still battling an horrific injury and suspension toll.

Prop Jason Ryles returns for Saturday's game but the outgoings far out-number the incomings, with three players - Michael Ennis, Albert Torrens and Ashton Sims - suspended.

"I'm sure I can battle through," Brown told Channel Nine tonight.

"We can win a couple of games and then some other poor coach can give it a try."

Brown may shake the spotlight this year but Lang has warned the former Dragons captain to expect the pressure to return.

"I don't think you're ever immune to it," Lang said.

"It never makes you feel any better when you're going through it. It's just a reality of coaching that you're going to put up with that when your side is playing poorly or going through a bad trot.

"In Browny's situation, if you coach in the NRL for 10 to 20 years, he will go through this 10 to 20 times.

"I always say you have to be a masochist with a sense of humour. It's tough keeping the sense of humour."[/quote]

AnGeL

Juniors
well i say saints will be on the bottom because they play like a pack of girls....actually live seen girls play with better attitudes

Rexxy

Coach
AnGeL said:
well i say saints will be on the bottom because they play like a pack of girls....actually live seen girls play with better attitudes

Opinions are like arseholes.

AnGeL

Juniors
yeah thast right its my opinion and its my opinion after seeing the way they are playing

Rexxy

Coach
What times your bus ANgel?

Sharkman05 said:
.... I am thinking you are the guys girls and other (sullyfan) that are in the sharkie army(is it 6 or 7 people?) The normal working good sharks fans look upon you with the sorrow you feel for a bunch of disabled kids you see on a bus.

Rexxy

Coach
It would be good to use this forum to discuss tactics, history and heritage.

But it's like an Open Door Policy for Peckerheads.

F -me, if it isn't argumentative Richo, and Charlie Carp, it's nuffies like Iluminati who give all the decent Storm supporters a bad name.

There are some big issues to be chewed, to be sure. Like our 85th coming up, the Flegg and PL clean out, the just gone Leagues Club elections and the 9 million profit that's going to have to last and last.

Just makes it difficult to discuss unless Angel takes up some self fisting exercises and bangs his/her own brains in via his/her fundament.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
T-Rex said:
It would be good to use this forum to discuss tactics, history and heritage.

But it's like an Open Door Policy for Peckerheads.

F -me, if it isn't argumentative Richo, and Charlie Carp, it's nuffies like Iluminati who give all the decent Storm supporters a bad name.

There are some big issues to be chewed, to be sure. Like our 85th coming up, the Flegg and PL clean out, the just gone Leagues Club elections and the 9 million profit that's going to have to last and last.

Just makes it difficult to discuss unless Angel takes up some self fisting exercises and bangs his/her own brains in via his/her fundament.
This is all about pest control.
We could just bar them from posting here but then they become indignant and trolls in denial. There'll always be dickheads, just a matter keeping them contained. One thing that we have done is stop them in certain threads.

If you want to start threads and make them troll free zones, I'm sure it can be arranged. Just a matter of letting us know. Perhaps something in the opening post or a PM to Mods or Admin.

Munky

Coach
Insulting the girls there a bit aren't we.

I was told by a soccer referee that under 19s girls games are the best to ref.

They have a good attitude and don't give any crap.

pantherz9103

First Grade
The Dragons do deserve insults after their pathetic performances of late. But they may well just decide to come to Penrith with their heads screwed on tomorrow. So I'm not jumping to any conclusions. Penrith have some problems of their own to fix up. Some of our guys need araldite on their hands #-o after the first two games.

Caged Panther

First Grade
the dropsey's that some of the penrith players have seems to be a 80min thing round 1 in was gualvao and rd 2 it was presto.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Craig "AnGeL" McLachlan said:

Judging by your name I'd say you are a girl

fatshark

Bench
TgC_comic394.gif

AHA

Latest posts