What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Crowds

Heritage XIII

Juniors
If ever a game deserved a near capacity it was this one against Manly. Where is the Penrith support? Under 15,000 for this game is a disgrace and embarrassment.

Can someone close to the club suggest any reasons?

NRLMad

Juniors
If ever a game deserved a near capacity it was this one against Manly. Where is the Penrith support? Under 15,000 for this game is a disgrace and embarrassment.

I ahve a feeling iut has somehting to do with te fact that Manly don't bring that many to the game. Does anyone know how they price their memberships etc?

thorson1987

Coach

Have you been to Penrith for a night game in the middle of winter?

Heritage XIII

Juniors
ok the weather could be a reason but I'd love to bring out my scarve and beanie more often and go watch the footy but not too many opportunities here in Brissie!

simostorm

Bench
Have you been to Penrith for a night game in the middle of winter?

You been to a Melbourne AFL match in the middle of winter? Doesnt seem to be a problem gettin mass crowds there.

Stop makin excuses for rubbish crowds.

West Sydney the heart of Rugby League ay?? What a JOKE.

TheFrog

Coach
Friday at 7.30pm is hardly ideal scheduling for this game.

If you want to blame a club and its supporters, you first have to allow the club to put the game on when it wants, not at a time that suits Channel 9.

It is quite disgraceful that Channel 9 hijacked this game to Friday night just so they could show it at 9.30pm full of ads, and it is even more disgraceful that Channel 9 has the power to do this. This match would have drawn over 20,000 on Sunday afternoon and 18,000 on Saturday night.

simostorm

Bench
Friday 7:30 is the best timeslot of the week isnt it?

Friday night game is always the best atmosphere.. theres somehting about it.. seems to bring out the best in teams.

Doomednow

Bench
I thought the consensus was that sunday game's are generally the best football. Asking people to finish a week of work and then rush out to football game might be a but rich for some. I think any game on free to air tv would generally have lower crowds though, esp. in the middle of winter. Even if it was a delayed telecast. Basing all that solely on conjecture though.

murraymob

Coach
ok the weather could be a reason but I'd love to bring out my scarve and beanie more often and go watch the footy but not too many opportunities here in Brissie!

since you where not there why the f**k are you bagging anyone else.

1,The crowd was down for several reason we where playing manly who bring about 200 supporters at the most
2.The day had been raining and was a very cold day in penrith that stops a lot of families coming
3.Friday nights are hard for working people

murraymob

Coach
You been to a Melbourne AFL match in the middle of winter? Doesnt seem to be a problem gettin mass crowds there.

Stop makin excuses for rubbish crowds.

i take it you never watched the grand final replay last night should have been a full house st kilda geelong unless the fudged the crowd as they normally do in afl there was lucky if there was 10k there

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I thought we would get 16000 but fell short of that figure. Penrith get their biggest crowds against the Eels, Tigers and Dogs due to the fact those 3 teams are the most popular teams in Penrith IMO.

For example, in my grade at school there was only 5 or 6 Penrith supporters. This is due to the fact that since 91 we have made the finals only in 97(Super League),00,03 and 04. That is simply not good enough if you are trying to build a supporters base.

So a simple answer to the question of this thread is we simply don't have many supporters. There is about 10k who are loyal, the rest jump on the bandwagon every now and then, then we have the away supporters. The 22k crowds we got in 03' were brought upon by massive away support.

If Eels pick up their act over the next month the Saturday Night game at CUA will go close to selling out.

The people of the west are quick to make snide remarks about the inner-city latte set who have no passion for league but as soon as you question their commitment they get very defensive and proffer any number of excuses for bad crowds.

cleary89

Coach
Manly fans don't travel, and even if they did penriff on a friday night is near impossible for anyone with a job in the first world (i.e. east of strathfield). It would have been about 3 degrees out at penriff last night to boot. What about st george's pisspoor 16,500 when they're coming first, against another sydney team, coming 3rd, who brought a ton of fans to games

A ton? def no more than 2k.

More saints supporters at shark park last weekend than sharks.

Oh, and how did benny creagh go last night?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Another thing on this topic. I would be interested to know how many Eels, Souths, Dogs and Tigers members live in Penrith/Hawkesbury/Blacktown. I think there might be quite a few.

Definitely a few i know personally.

Big Mick

Referee
I am a Penrith member and I didn't go last night.

It was impossible. I work in the CBD. I finished work at 6:30pm...how can I get out there in time?

I often find myself missing Friday night/Monday Night games..that doesn't mean I don't pay my $300 for my grandstand membership

Karlos

Juniors
i take it you never watched the grand final replay last night should have been a full house st kilda geelong unless the fudged the crowd as they normally do in afl there was lucky if there was 10k there

Apparently over 50 000 at the MCG last night, freezing cold and pissing down with rain, roads were terrible etc. etc.

Dont get me wrong, why you would go and watch AFL in any conditions astounds me but dont make up bullsh*t.

I really think sydney fans of all clubs just need to face the fact they cant be assed going to see live games, theres no real excuse for it.

I have been dissapointed with Storm crowds the last few weeks but really when you put the numbers in to perspective they are good figures (10 - 11 thousand) compared with the Sydney games.

Friday nights i happily fly out the door from work drive 1.5hrs home, get ready and train it 45min back in to the game. Its a mission but I take every opportunity to watch the Storm live that I can. Maybe its different because our FTA coverage is diabolical.

(Saints V Tigers shown at 4am this morning on nine in MEL. 2nd game not shown at all. f**k YOU CHANNEL NINE)

saints_fireup

Juniors
Friday night games at suburban grounds can struggle to get crowds, particularly when rain is on the cards. Manly also have the most immobile supporter base in Sydney.

As for the Saints game, the capacity of Kogarah has been vastly reduced; probably not much more than 18,500. There was 2000 shy of that. I'm not sure which game Fast Eddie attended, but I thought the Tigers turn up was abysmal. There wouldn't have been more than 4 or 5 fans in a group.

Serc

First Grade
It would have been about 3 degrees out at penriff last night to boot.

Yesterday was one of those days where it was cold during the day, but because of the cloud it keeps the temp up above what it normally would be at night...so it was 16-17 degrees for most of the afternoon, but only dropped down to 14-15 for the game!

But I can't blame the supporters for that, most people would've been put off by the weather during the day and thats to be expected...not everyone's a meteorologist :p

yakstorm

First Grade
The sad reality is, Penrith has very rarely drawn great crowds on a Friday night... If the match was played tonight, it would have drawn better.

As mentioned before, anyone from the Eastern side of the city had next to no chance of getting to the game on time. Maybe moving forward, clubs like Penrith might have to miss out on the Friday night timeslot...

As for the comments about the strong crowd at the MCG last night, anyone who was near the CBD would have been able to get to that game without issue. The trams and trains still ran and heck you can walk from Melbourne CBD to the MCG without much issue.

It's a great advantage the Storm now have, and once all this Salary Cap stuff is sorted out, something they'll be able to take advantage of with crowd numbers...

MadEagle

Juniors
For everyone that says Manly supporters dont travel, do you really still believe this?
Yes agreed through the early 2000's this was the case but not any more.

Just this year on the gold coast we had about 2000 supports in the away supporters bay. We had a group of 60 that flew all the way to NZ for a game.
At the parra game we had hundreds. etc etc

The simple fact was getting to penrith from the beaches on a friday night is not worth it. Best case if you get there right before kick off, miss all the pre games etc.

I would say there are far worse traveling supporters than Manly's. Just look at a home game Vs penrith at brookie, prob abour 20 penrith supporters. Same goes for roosters, cronulla.

Just bugs me people have this outdated theory that they bring out at any opportunity without actually thinking about it.

I think the penrith crowd was ok considering the scheduling. Sounded like good atmosphere.

Latest posts