What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

hindy111

Post Whore
Edwards has improved heaps. But he also had bad runs with injury whenever he started to look decent. This last 2yrs seems the longest he has gone without these long stints on sideline.

I reckon he showed a lot of talent when debut then just had a rough patch for a few years. Barely looked an nrl player but that had a lot to do with injuries as well. He couldn't get a good run

I will watch a replay as missed the game.

I will say that an option might be to let Too go and keep Staines and May. I imagine what Brian would cost you'd get those two for same price. It isn't just about who is better but also balance for the cap. I'm sure you can afford all 3 with some big names leaving next year but is it needed?
What will Stephen think?

Iamback

Coach
I don't mean they can't pass left to right I'm trying to say the quality of the left to right passes is well below right to left.

At training I'm sure the props can put up spiral bombs but not sure how they'd go in a game.

Yep. They are often too slow to beat defences. If it isn't natural then the timing is out

Iamback

Coach
May has been great in attack, but I wouldn’t break up the strong Crichton/Staines defensive combo they are forming on the RHS.

To'o is a right side player.

Right now possibly but if May is on 10+ tries in a month

no glaring areas then it becomes a harder choice

Crashtest

Juniors
To'o is a right side player.

Right now possibly but if May is on 10+ tries in a month

no glaring areas then it becomes a harder choice
The better sides all attack more and score more tries on their LHS. Which is why Ivan went for the best defensive combo of Momo and Crichton on the RHS for the finals and GF last year.

If Crichton and Staines keep defending we’ll as a combo between now and when To’o returns, I just can’t see Ivan dropping Staines once To’o is ready to return, regardless of how many tries May has scored by then.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Good trys no doubt... but we havent really seen him beat hes wing on the outside yet say midfield one on one...

He may have speed but imo hes no james roberts. He doesnt have that explosiveness over the first 10m which is so crucial.

I think what some posters may not understand is to an extent all nrl players would be pretty quick.. even most the forwards would be running sub 13.5 sec 100s.

Edwards id think would be mid to high 11s.

Taylan and staines low 11s..

So take edwards vs staines. Thered be lucky to be 0.5 to 1 sec difference over a 100m. Thats like 5 to 10m over a 100 roughly..

So absolutley bugger all. Taylan and staines would be within meters of each other over the 100m

But the issue in the nrl is not all players are as quick when carrying the ball. It can slow some players down a lot.

GI was one of the best movers ever with a footy in hand. He didnt lose any speed at all..

Staines has displayed blinding speed without the ball so far but i think we certainly havent seen that with the ball yet..

But the main speed you want your ball carrier to have is that explosive speed, initially over 10 but than 0-40m.

Personally i think tago looks close to the fastest in the team over 10m with the ball in hand. I said that before a ball was kicked this year.. he is real explosive of just a few steps.. he not as quick over 40 as taylan or staines but over 10m with ball in hand hes dynamic.

As for over 40m with ball in hand, staines and taylan would finish within 1 to 2m of each other either way.
I think Staines is the quickest, ball in hand or clean.

Bizza, Tago and May are all very strong ball carriers in traffic.

Its a great mix of wingers. I can’t decide what the best combo is.

age.s

First Grade
I think if all 3 wingers are performing outstandingly then there's something to be said for keeping the incumbents, ie To'o and Staines. It sends a good message to the 17 on the field that your spot is stable if you perform. The hunger should always be there for the guy looking in. If May was comfortably ahead of Staines its a different story, but when they're both going great I think you maintain the status quo somewhat.

betcats

Referee
May is off contract for next year right now also I believe, how f he signs elsewhere that could end up being a big factor.

WestyLife

First Grade
May is off contract for next year right now also I believe, how f he signs elsewhere that could end up being a big factor.

I didn't realise that. Based on this and incumbent combinations I'd put my money on Staines getting the position.

betcats

Referee
Interesting that last night nrl stats had critta with 193 metres and now they have him with 206m, obviously they have reviewed the game and updated it, good to know they are being accurate.

soc123_au

Staff member
When To'o returns I'd expect Staines to keep his spot on current form. May has been outstanding, but it's early days yet. There is a long way to go and we saw how the long season affected Charlie last year.

To'o has the runs on the board so he comes back in. Staines hasn't put a foot wrong so he stays too. Maybe Taylan goes back to Cup and plays centre or something and gets another shot later at 14.