What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Momo??

The only people on this whole forum from memory that were happy with him playing centre and critta wing in the finals was me, i think martie lang and kilkenny.

Didnt hear the end of it from everyone else...

It turned out to be a masterstroke from ivan.

*if there was others supportive of momo playing centre, sorry ive forgot you but there was only a handful..95% were furious..
I was happy with that decision, made sense to me.
I wouldn’t call it a master stroke though. I think it was the obvious thing to do.

Girds89

Bench
Yep look at Crichton running for 200m and scoring and setting up tries plus is a back up fullback. Tago is feeding May like its Christmas lunch.

You and 90% of others didnt want him centre solely for the reason it was presumed he couldnt pass and that critta wouldnt get the ball...

I dont tend to disagree with that..

But i think a select few kinda realised early how we were busted and defence would be the real winner..

Some might not think it was a master stroke but i do. Any other panthers player on the wing and they dont take the intercept critta did. Hes hands to catch a bullet, reading of the game, height and confidence... no one else does that for us.

And that wasnt the only thing..him and momo were an absolute rock that series.

Crittas returns combined with edwards and too and we just got out of our end so well and it took soo much pressure of the forwards..

We role with staines on the wing for that finals series in the poor form he was in and we domt win.. no way he had the confidence for that intercept play. He was avg like 50m a game in the back half of the year.

Ivan took a chance and it turned out to be a masterstroke.

Girds89

Bench
For those talking down latrell. I think hes a brilliant fb.

He just doesnt have the fitness or the work ethic to do what edwards does EVERY single week..

Latrell wont be there 50m on the other side of the field to take someone into touch after making a stop on the other side. He wont save a try 10m in from touch than be there to take a grubber in goal next tackle 15m the other side of the stick...

He does the flashing things so well and hes a beast with the ball in hand. Edwards will never be close to him with ball in hand..

But the only fb in the whole comp id swap edwards for is turbo..

Teddys better but hes 30 this year..hasnt exactly started the year great either. Edwards is the form fb.

WestyLife

First Grade
You and 90% of others didnt want him centre solely for the reason it was presumed he couldnt pass and that critta wouldnt get the ball...

I dont tend to disagree with that..

But i think a select few kinda realised early how we were busted and defence would be the real winner..

Some might not think it was a master stroke but i do. Any other panthers player on the wing and they dont take the intercept critta did. Hes hands to catch a bullet, reading of the game, height and confidence... no one else does that for us.

And that wasnt the only thing..him and momo were an absolute rock that series.

Crittas returns combined with edwards and too and we just got out of our end so well and it took soo much pressure of the forwards..

We role with staines on the wing for that finals series in the poor form he was in and we domt win.. no way he had the confidence for that intercept play. He was avg like 50m a game in the back half of the year.

Ivan took a chance and it turned out to be a masterstroke.

I dont think it was a masterstroke just a fill in until the young blokes were ready. This year he wouldn't get a start if he was still here.

Girds89

Bench
I dont think it was a masterstroke just a fill in until the young blokes were ready. This year he wouldn't get a start if he was still here.
He wouldnt but it was a seriously big decision at the time that come up trumps. Momo was great the whole finals series as was critta on the wing and they were a wall in defence and way better than the even critta staines were..

To have the courage to make such a big call and for it to come off the way it did...dont know how it could be describes as anything else..

Do you think thats how ivan looked at it when there was a comp on the line westy mate... like do you truly even believe what you post??

Do you honestly believe the momo to centre critta to wing was just cleary thinking....hmmm critta to wing is a good idea till the young blokes are ready???

Or do you think he made that call because he thought it was what was needed to win the comp??

Well we kinda know ths answer because we wom the comp..

Im glad ivan was in charge..ive been a critic of his at times, particuarly hes use of the bench. But that was a huge call he got right..

Cant even imagine what he wouldved copped on here if wed lost with that combo haha

WestyLife

First Grade
He wouldnt but it was a seriously big decision at the time that come up trumps. Momo was great the whole finals series as was critta on the wing and they were a wall in defence and way better than the even critta staines were..

To have the courage to make such a big call and for it to come off the way it did...dont know how it could be describes as anything else..

Do you think thats how ivan looked at it when there was a comp on the line westy mate... like do you truly even believe what you post??

Do you honestly believe the momo to centre critta to wing was just cleary thinking....hmmm critta to wing is a good idea till the young blokes are ready???

Or do you think he made that call because he thought it was what was needed to win the comp??

Im glad ivan was in charge..ive been a critic of his at times, particuarly hes use of the bench. But that was a huge call he got right..

Cant even imagine what he wouldved copped on here if wed lost with that combo haha

I think Ivan did it because that was the best 17 at the time.

By all accounts Staines needed time out of first grade for a rest and to physically develop more.

Tago, May, Turuva certainly weren't ready for a grand final.

Jennings ruined it for himself with a terrible game and not picked again.

Critta can clearly play wing no drama that's never been a question and we had one centre worth anything at all to play on the right. Even Burton was a makeshift centre

Smug Panther

First Grade

I feel we got a bit lucky. I've never seen a team defend its way to wins 3 games in a row like that. Will probably never happen again. Was such an amazing thing to witness but if we try that again we'll get spanked

Girds89

Bench
I think Ivan did it because that was the best 17 at the time.

By all accounts Staines needed time out of first grade for a rest and to physically develop more.

Tago, May, Turuva certainly weren't ready for a grand final.

Jennings ruined it for himself with a terrible game and not picked again.

Critta can clearly play wing no drama that's never been a question and we had one centre worth anything at all to play on the right. Even Burton was a makeshift centre

I think he knew staines would be heavily targeted.

He was not playing well.. he had a few nice moments in fg throughout the year and at times had decent defensive reads but overall he just wasnt fg standard at the time.

Jennings had one bad game but hes generally ultra reliable in fg. Nothing special but he not a world beater..

He couldve played momo on the wing and critta at centre as everyone except a few on here wanted.

But he knew how important meters out of the back would be, especially when we were playing busted..

He knew how important a big body was on the wing in defence and how a tall body would be to stop the threat of cross field kicks..

As good as a charlie did in defence, critta was 3 times the defender he was and momo was as good as critta so it just worked and was right at the time..

You may be down playing it now but the butt hurt on here last year was another level..people couldnt comprehend critta being wing..

Anyway.. we won the gf. Regardless to whether you think it was a master stroke or not we ended up with the trophy so we are all winners..

WestyLife

First Grade
I feel we got a bit lucky. I've never seen a team defend its way to wins 3 games in a row like that. Will probably never happen again. Was such an amazing thing to witness but if we try that again we'll get spanked

Once in a lifetime.

There’s going to be a good but massive selection headache for Cleary Senior once the full complement of players are available.

The May/To’o/Staines quandary will be the biggest decision.

snickers007

Juniors
They need to lock up May past this season ASAP.

We don't want to be in a situation where May is still off contract in 2022, replaces Staines, and then someone else swoops in on May. It will shatter Staines confidence, and us having to crawl back to him a second time will leave a nasty taste in his mouth, and we'll lose him too.

But get them all signed up, and let them all know, your position is not guaranteed. Internal competition is good.

Latest posts