What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v Bondi Battlers (Finals Week One)

maple_69

Bench
Good thing about Larry is that he seems to be really hitting his stride at the right time of year, whereas last year it was pretty clear his first full year of grade was taking its toll. Averaging 122m and 33 tackles in 55 minutes over the past 8 weeks. Feels like he's taken a step to be a bit more dominant rather than just solid.

Maybe you give Moses the start tomorrow to show us finals Motor is waiting and ready to go but if there's no change I think you'd have to look at flipping them and riding the hot hand/simplifying Moses' role.

Iamback

Coach
It's a general NRL trend. You don't see it very often because it's so hard to get it right.

You need to win the ruck on the 4th tackle so you don't have any pressure on the kicker. Fast play the ball and a quick kick across so extra defenders can't be in position to make the high ball contest a mess.

If you watch the Storm try over To'o then we get it all wrong. Edwards is on the other side of the field protecting the right so he never gets anywhere near it. McClean comes over but offers little. Luai and Geyer are too late. We are just too stretched and can't bring numbers. I see it as 3 on 1 which To'o will lose almost every time (3 on 2 if you count McClean but like I said he isn't doing much).

We let in two tries off kicks against the Storm recently so it's a focus point I'm sure. If we face them again it will Turuva on that side.

We had no backrow that game. Martin's biggest strength is his kick pressure and Garner's height.

A full strength Panthers team doesn't concede tries off kicks

The right defence Tago making tackles and hiding Nathan is my only concerns

Fangs

Coach
We had no backrow that game. Martin's biggest strength is his kick pressure and Garner's height.

A full strength Panthers team doesn't concede tries off kicks

The right defence Tago making tackles and hiding Nathan is my only concerns

Melbourne execute really well on To'o so even with full effort perhaps we don't stop them scoring there. Luai and McClean the main two who just had to scrap a bit more in that play. Edwards ends up in the frame when he is running from the opposite side of the field and Geyer isn't even on camera at all. More players around the ball welcomed in future.

We do a bit better on the Edwards/Katoa try but again its 2 on 1 in the contest.

John Hamblin

Juniors
A couple of interesting stats

Penrith have won 42 out of the last 49 home games

IF we win we will be the first team since the great St George in the 50s and 60s to win 10 finals games in a row

AND the one we all know we have beaten the Roarters 9 times in a rowi

Iamback

Coach
Melbourne execute really well on To'o so even with full effort perhaps we don't stop them scoring there. Luai and McClean the main two who just had to scrap a bit more in that play. Edwards ends up in the frame when he is running from the opposite side of the field and Geyer isn't even on camera at all. More players around the ball welcomed in future.

We do a bit better on the Edwards/Katoa try but again its 2 on 1 in the contest.

Maybe we don't I just can't remember anyone being able to put a kick where they want to against us.

Part of our game is line speed the edges that game let them kick anywhere they wanted

Kilkenny

Coach
Given the extended bench the only player who can come in is Matt E, seems strange they didn’t include Geyer on the extended bench as opposed to three backs.

Fangs

Coach
Given the extended bench the only player who can come in is Matt E, seems strange they didn’t include Geyer on the extended bench as opposed to three backs.

Geyer has had a couple shots this year. Ivan has more trust in a front rower doing the job if needed.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'd move Soro on for next year. Sucks but that's life
It’s not always that simple. We just resigned him, he has another two years. I guess you can move on players if there is interest elsewhere but given his age and recent injury woes it may not be that easy. I think he has learnt 2025 based on his previous form so I guess we need to see how things shape up next season.

Fangs

Coach
I’m not questioning Matt E I’m just suggesting the wisdom of naming McLean, Laurie and Brad S as three of those outside the 17.

Yes I'm questioning the same thing along with the prop as the only forward pick.

Its not 21 its 22 for this game. So we could have named backrow cover and left an outside back out of the 22. But the fact Geyer has been left out altogether indicates to me that he is well down the pecking order (Even below our props).

Its a shame because I don't think he has been that bad while our props have been exposed in the backrow by faster sides. With a bit of luck we won't need to park anyone out that wide but if injury strikes its advantage Roosters.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
It’s not always that simple. We just resigned him, he has another two years. I guess you can move on players if there is interest elsewhere but given his age and recent injury woes it may not be that easy. I think he has learnt 2025 based on his previous form so I guess we need to see how things shape up next season.
Plenty of crap sides in the comp would take him in a heartbeat

Iamback

Coach
I’m not questioning Matt E I’m just suggesting the wisdom of naming McLean, Laurie and Brad S as three of those outside the 17.

It is easy enough to get exemptions to add players later

Unless someone gets injured then the bench is barely seeing minutes in finals

Kilkenny

Coach
It is easy enough to get exemptions to add players later

Unless someone gets injured then the bench is barely seeing minutes in finals
That’s fine, but our 14 has barely had any NRL minutes lately, so I hope Kenny doesn’t get a cat 1 head knock in the opening exchanges tomorrow night.

we just look unbalanced to me if we get any unfortunate injuries.

Iamback

Coach
That’s fine, but our 14 has barely had any NRL minutes lately, so I hope Kenny doesn’t get a cat 1 head knock in the opening exchanges tomorrow night.

That has been the case all year. The bench use has been poor. Hopefully he gets a run with NSW Cup on Sunday for match fitness

But onto the side

Yeo
Martin
Kenny

Will play 80 mins

Leota 40
Fish 50 mins
Garner 50 mins

Henry/Smith have played 80 at times so having them cover the rest is fine.

That leaves Eiso only needing a small stint should he come in

Latest posts