What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v Souths Preliminary Final

Fangs

Coach
One of the biggest genuine WTF moments I've seen.

'No downward pressure'. How can a hand coming from above the ball pushing it into the ground without separation not be downward pressure?

It would be physically possible to not have downward pressure in that situation.

I was blind drunk with about 20 other people. Various fans and people who don't watch league much. Everyone said it was a try. I couldn't believe it. Then the next day I spoke to sober people who said it was 100% a try.

For mine it was by far the worst decision of the weekend. Quickly forgotten because it was inconsequential.

betcats

Referee
The only thing I would say is if McKenna thought that the rules say that Luai can’t run behind Fish and so therefore must straighten up as he can’t go behind, that could have contributed to him running behind the play.

It is obviously a big if.

Personally I didn’t mind it; called it live. We broke a rule and the try wasn’t awarded.

We didnt break any rule that is the whole point of the NRL saying it was the wrong call. Not running behind a player isnt a rule. Not running behind a player that disadvantages the defense is a rule. Players run behind their own players every game with no penalties. Only when someone is obstructed is it a penalty.

From the NRL website:

Running behind your own player:

The ball carrier must not run behind an active block-runner and disadvantage the defensive line. The defender should not be expected to defend against this play. This is highlighted by the video with the State of Origin try to Justin Hodges, Hodges runs behind his own player and Blues defender Beau Scott should not have to contend with this action.

There are instances where you can run behind your own player – if there is no disadvantage caused to the defensive line.

We didnt break any rule that is the whole point of the NRL saying it was the wrong call. Not running behind a player isnt a rule. Not running behind a player that disadvantages the defense is a rule. Players run behind their own players every game with no penalties. Only when someone is obstructed is it a penalty.

From the NRL website:

Running behind your own player:

The ball carrier must not run behind an active block-runner and disadvantage the defensive line. The defender should not be expected to defend against this play. This is highlighted by the video with the State of Origin try to Justin Hodges, Hodges runs behind his own player and Blues defender Beau Scott should not have to contend with this action.

There are instances where you can run behind your own player – if there is no disadvantage caused to the defensive line.
I didn’t know that. Well, that seems pretty definitive and agree, should definitely have been a try.

mxlegend99

Referee
Could you imagine some poor bastards multis were wrecked by fair tries being disallowed.

Staines and Critter would both be popular multi options. Luckily none of my multis were even close. Though i think all 4 disallowed try scorers appeared throughout my multis.

Honestly had no luck this year after having a lot of luck last year. But it makes it more fun. 😂😂 A few 5 buck multis hoping to win $1k+

Iamback

Coach
Could you imagine some poor bastards multis were wrecked by fair tries being disallowed.

Staines and Critter would both be popular multi options. Luckily none of my multis were even close. Though i think all 4 disallowed try scorers appeared throughout my multis.

Honestly had no luck this year after having a lot of luck last year. But it makes it more fun. 😂😂 A few 5 buck multis hoping to win $1k+

My Brother in law.

Needed Crichton try for $1200, He is pissed 😂😂

GongPanther

Referee
Yes but he clearly had upward pressure when he did that.

Bunker was absolutely terrible. We still won by 20.

I think Kennar try should have been looked at. Staines and Critter tries should have been awarded.

The good thing though is we just don't let that shit get to us.
I'm glad we got those calls on the weekend. The bunker has been put on notice, so we won't see that rubbish in the GF. I could imagine the likes of Rusty, Albo, Denton, Holmes a Court, Ray Martin, etc clenching their collective champagne swilling arseholes, when the Panthers were steamrolling over their team after those no tries. Money can't by everything.

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade

Saw one on Facebook where he missed out in 21K

GongPanther

Referee

I got the PTS. If those tries counted and Cleary converts both it would have been 44-12, which I also had, which would have been a bigger dividend.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sports betting is a real issue I guess around decisions from officials which effect outcomes, multi‘s etc. I guess for everyone who misses out from a wrong decision there is someone else who benefits , not saying it’s right but it’s never gonna change. I don’t do them I’m just a loser betting on the horses and dogs.

Latest posts