What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v Souths semi final

Kilkenny

Coach
The most encouraging thought. I can think of at least 12 certain points gone begging.
I haven’t watched a replay of any of our games post origin.

On fast forward today there was potentially 24 points at least that went begging thru really poor decisions or execution.

I didn't see the Bunnies bomb three or four potential try scoring opportunities the way we did. We actually defended pretty well for the entire 80 minutes.

No one wants to lay blame at Gerard Sutton but he did make some pretty poor calls that went against us, not blaming him, but there were some crucial calls that didn’t go our way.

We lost, they won, but I think even if we were a little off, there were still moments in the game where had we have done better we could have won by twelve.

Last edited:

The Realist

Juniors
We have a lot of good - very good players but few elite players. Nathan may be the only genuine elite level player although some would argue To’o, Yeo and JFH may be as well.

I think we have a tendency to over rate the abilities of some our our players and often under estimate similar players on other teams or rivals.

The Melbourne Storm were the best team last season and again the season. If anything, given what we saw in the first week of the semis they look even stronger than last season.

We’re probably a 50/50 chance of beating the Eels with Edwards and Leota back and I expect us to be much better than we were against the Bunnies.

I agree with all of this. Everyone thought that the Storm would get worse due to Cam Smith retiring. I knew they’d be better as the Cheese and Grant Duo is more dynamic.

Also agree with Fans overrating our stars. So many times I have heard how; Fish is the best prop (he isn’t)
Kikau best 2nd rower (maybe last year - this year he wouldn’t make the Top 5).
Yeo is the best #13 - maybe but Panthers fans seriously sleeping on Radley and Murray who are more dynamic with ball and without.
Edwards is a Top 5 fullback - LOL
Luai being best 5/8 - nope not this year Munster and Walker have him covered (mostly due to post SOO period)
etc etc

Kilkenny

Coach
I agree with all of this. Everyone thought that the Storm would get worse due to Cam Smith retiring. I knew they’d be better as the Cheese and Grant Duo is more dynamic.

Also agree with Fans overrating our stars. So many times I have heard how; Fish is the best prop (he isn’t)
Yeo is the best #13 - maybe but Panthers fans seriously sleeping on Radley and Murray who are more dynamic with ball and without.
Luai being best 5/8 - nope not this year Munster and Walker have him covered (mostly due to post SOO period)
etc etc
In respect of Edwards and the fullback position there is Tedesco, Tommy T, Latrell and maybe Paps who are all in the elite category. Then there is the rest.

I understand you don’t rate Dylan Edwards but he does his job pretty well across all aspects of the position while not possessing the explosive attacking attributes of the elite fullbacks. His work rate is much undervalued in my opinion, particularly given the fact he is on far less money than the elite fullbacks.

Given we need cap space to re-sign Kikau and Koroisau I suspect Dylan may be deemed surplus to requirements, particularly given the fact there are probably other options for the position.

Generally while I think we have a tendency to over rate many of our players, I think in Dylan’s case he is generally under rated, but that is just my opinion I know.

Crashtest

Juniors
We are dead. We have a horrible record under him and Eel's a positive one.

etc etc

Man I would hate being stuck sitting next you at a dinner party. How can you be so negative on absolutely everything?

The Realist

Juniors
Man I would hate being stuck sitting next you at a dinner party. How can you be so negative on absolutely everything?

I leave most of the happy talk to the others. No point repeating it. The positive stuff is just that...Positive. The negatives are things that can be improved so to my way of thinking is where the focus should be.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I leave most of the happy talk to the others. No point repeating it. The positive stuff is just that...Positive. The negatives are things that can be improved so to my way of thinking is where the focus should be.

So those of us who chose to see the positives are 'lesser': Is that what your saying ?

The Realist

Juniors
Has been carrying injury all season. Do try to be fair.

Even when fully fit - Top 5 is a HUGE stretch.

Is he good value for money? Yes. He is also underrated by NRL fans generally. However he is wildly overrated by a substantial section of Panthers fans.

Kilkenny

Coach

Is he good value for money? Yes. He is also underrated by NRL fans generally. However he is wildly overrated by a substantial section of Panthers fans.
I don’t think there are any Panthers fans either in here or the greater majority who don’t use this or other forums who would suggest Dylan is top four. He is not. Everyone is accepting of that as fact.

There is no doubt if we are to take the next step, improve as a team, and perhaps overtake the Melbourne Storm as the games number one team then we do need a fullback who is in the top four. I’m not sure any of our current alternatives to Dylan, in Crichton, Staines or to a lesser degree young Turuva are ever going to develop into elite fullbacks either so I’m not sure where that leaves us.

Girds89

Bench

I dont really think anyone overrates him.

People often say its going to be a challenge for him to retain the #1 spot next year i know ive said he has his limitations and just isnt a genuine gamebreaker like teddy, turbo or ponga.

But like Ivan said in his presser today. Most people dont realise the work dylan does and how much he contributes on and off the ball. That stuff just doesnt stand out. Especially on TV where you for the most part cant see the work the fb is doing. And on the tv is how a lot of fans have had to watch games the last 2 years.

Id say with confidence that dylan probably does more work off the ball in defence than any of the big 3 or 4 fbs.

Its pretty common for him to make a tackle on our goal line on one side of the field than sprint 40m to the other side covering the play to clean up a kick or make another covering tackle. He does that for every tackle close to our line. Literally covers that much ground to be an extra defender. Theres a reason we have the best defence in the comp and edwards is a huge huge part of that.

I watch teddy, turbo etc. They to an extent do similar but nowhere near the amount edwards does. Teddy has done it a few times in origin and club level, as has turbo for manly. Theyve both had games where they have just been absolutely everywhere in defence. But edwards does that every week for us. Its something that goes highly unnoticed because just being there in defence doesnt show up to the average fan. But those effort plays are potentially what stop halfbacks from putting in possible try scoring grubbers, or chancing their hand by throwing a few wide passes cause edwards is there. For the most part all the effort plays never go down on the stat sheet but all the players notice and you hear them and ivan talk about it when they talk about dylan. Than he is the first or 2nd bloke coming out of our end to put his hand up to take the tough carries, often two a set coming out of trouble, while everyone else gets a breather.

Yes he is seriously limited in ball playing extra..

But no one thinks hes overrated. I actually think hes underrated by most on here.

The salary cap means we probably wont keep him which is understable. But an nrl club will pick him up for a bargain price and they will get one of the hardest work, dedicated, good role model players any coach and club could ask for.

If i was a 20s coach or ball or matts id be telling my players if you want to make the nrl watch dylan train. Watch him play and see the effort he puts in. Thats whats required.

Hes never going to be a superstar fullback but for the stuff all coin hed be on hes been bloody brilliant for the panthers.

Im excited hes back tomorrow and i hope he can get us over the line.

Kilkenny

Coach
From my perspective, Tedesco, Tommy T and to a lesser degree Latrell (because of his ill discipline) are worth the money they are on. I also rated RTS very highly but he is now in Rugby Union.

Personally, I think Ponga is vastly over rated and not worthy of the huge money he is on. I think Dylan is much better value overall, at at least half the cost.

Latest posts