What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

Danish

Referee
I don't think they're that worried about showing they're not. Neither has your club at times, and that's cool - as long as they know that creates a target on their back and a significant slap down if they're not #1 at the end of it all.

I think the only planned try celebration a player form our club has had is latrell’s kangaroo ears (which he seems to have stopped doing in lieu of a stupid hulk flex at Souths).

Jumping about like you just won lotto after every try is reserved for Souths 2014 and panthers 2020-2021

franklin2323

Immortal
There's quality in that Broncos pack, it's not exactly diabolical to be beaten up by them.

I think the thing that people don't realise about professional sport and the NRL in particular is how hard it is to be up mentally and physically every week. There's going to be banana skin games where you're just not there mentally, physically you might have a short turnaround, had a bruising hitout last time around etc. And Penrith potentially had that, yet still found a way to win. There's merit in that. No one is up every week.

For Penrith to win 20 straight round robin games or whatever it is, plus finals last year, it's an incredible effort even if they didn't win in the big show. Which again, isn't to be sneezed at given they were beaten by a great team.

I don't get the hate for the Panthers, barring the arrogance. I love watching them.

Yep if TPJ plays like that every week they will beat most sides

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Will be saving this quote for after round 14

Mate the raiders fanbase can be described in a lot of ways. Neurotic cry babies, maniacs, depressed sadsacks, etc but not smug.

Besides we are already throwing the toys out the pram over sticks bench and we have only lost two games. One to the warriors when we were super injured and the other against the greatest rugby league side that has ever existed in any universe or dimension

If we just steal a win against the bronx at home there will be plenty of moaning and whinging. If we lose good lord will the meltdown on the GH be insane. Keep in mind I am probably one of the most normal raiders supporters and I am reaching for the pills and vodka every week

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yep if TPJ plays like that every week they will beat most sides

If TPJ (and the rest of the pack was really good too) plays like that he will give them plenty of opportunity to score

That isnt necessarily the same as winning though. Its then up to the halves to convert the field position.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah the Broncos pack did a job but all of their attack was based on bomb and hope. Luke Walsh would have been rock hard watching it

I think the tactic of kicking to To'o and belting him the millisecond he touches the ball is a good one and teams will be doing that going forward because it takes his running game out a bit.

But a lot of their options were pretty poor. It reminded me a bit of Canberra actually (heh) where at times we can look lost in the 20. Obviously the Bronx have difficulties making decisions in defence but look at the Panthers try (the handshake try)

Kikau draws two players with a good decoy run, this exposes the winger who Luai easily draws in and from then its just out the back to Burton for an easy try. That is very simple rugby league but very well done.

The broncos weren't doing anything like that. They had very flat shape in comparison to Penrith. The broncos were a little shot on that edge anyway. Kikau lurking one off the the half made the defenders panic. Laui was on his right shoulder to slide out to the left to create the overlap.

Penrith are much better defensively but the whole secret to Rugby League is making defenders make a decision. Professional Rugby League players are normally good enough to make their tackles but they make a wrong decision under pressure. Two Bronco defenders made the wrong decision on Kikau and opened up the whole edge. That is the different between the good teams and the bad ones in attack. Its the difference between the good teams and the sorta good ones (like Canberra)

blaza88z

Coach
I think the tactic of kicking to To'o and belting him the millisecond he touches the ball is a good one and teams will be doing that going forward because it takes his running game out a bit.

But a lot of their options were pretty poor. It reminded me a bit of Canberra actually (heh) where at times we can look lost in the 20. Obviously the Bronx have difficulties making decisions in defence but look at the Panthers try (the handshake try)

Kikau draws two players with a good decoy run, this exposes the winger who Luai easily draws in and from then its just out the back to Burton for an easy try. That is very simple rugby league but very well done.

The broncos weren't doing anything like that. They had very flat shape in comparison to Penrith. The broncos were a little shot on that edge anyway. Kikau lurking one off the the half made the defenders panic. Laui was on his right shoulder to slide out to the left to create the overlap.

Penrith are much better defensively but the whole secret to Rugby League is making defenders make a decision. Professional Rugby League players are normally good enough to make their tackles but they make a wrong decision under pressure. Two Bronco defenders made the wrong decision on Kikau and opened up the whole edge. That is the different between the good teams and the bad ones in attack. Its the difference between the good teams and the sorta good ones (like Canberra)

We've been a basket case for the past season, we were literally the laughing stock of the league last season and our results this season haven't been any better but at least there have been improvements.

Just the basics of running hard and showing some commitment in defense have been missing from our game, the things a coach shouldn't have to coach into an NRL team, so naturally.. shape in attack and those sort of things are a bit down the pecking order in terms of things to focus on. If we can show that sort of energy every week then I would expect our attack to get much better.

I think our edge defense will be a bit better when we get our centres back, it's the sort of position you probably can't just slot into, especially against a side like Penrith.

Smug the magic Panthers,
Lived in the west.
And frolicked in the winter air,
Playing big time Rugba Lig.

Little Pauly Kent loathed those rascal Smugs,
And hands he wrings, and squealing, waxed, over simple little hugs.

Smug the magic Panthers,
Lived in the west.

Forever Kent would unravel on his show, while riled he’d wail,
Smugs kept a cheering perched on Kikau; a gigantic male
Nable sang their praises, Kent moan’d whene'er Smugs came
Premierships, would sour...no, no flags, when Kent roared out the blame.

A season lasts forever, but not so little boys.
Painted wings and premiers’ rings, made way for other joys.
One gray night it happened, Poor Kenty groan’d some more
And Smugs, those mighty Panthers, they ceased their fearless roar.

Their head was bent in smugness, game fails fell like rain
Smugs no longer want to play along, they just weren’t the same.
Without Kent, that lifelong fiend, Smugs could not be brave
So Smugs those mighty Panthers, sadly slipped into the cave.

Smug the magic Panthers,
Lived in the west.

Frailty

First Grade
I have no issues with celebrating tries, being cocky, etc.

I do not like being absolute grubs - i.e. Luai stomping on Nikorima last season, pulling Tapane into the celebration last week.

Last night I noticed Martin always raising a forearm whilst running the ball. I like the rest of his game, but that's dirty.

84 Baby

Referee
How boring is the thread title to celebrate the greatest sporting team in the history of sport?
There’s never been a more teamier team in anything. Even those heavily drilled, life or death commando squads wouldn’t come close to the teaminess of this superb group of people. Their highlights package will put an end to conflict in Ukraine and the South China Sea by encouraging camaraderie in chasing a common goal. I have something in my eye just thinking about them
images

franklin2323

Immortal
If TPJ (and the rest of the pack was really good too) plays like that he will give them plenty of opportunity to score

That isnt necessarily the same as winning though. Its then up to the halves to convert the field position.

You have 60% possession v probably all but the 5 top teams and you will get the gaps appearing. So the halves don't matter as much with most teams

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think the only planned try celebration a player form our club has had is latrell’s kangaroo ears (which he seems to have stopped doing in lieu of a stupid hulk flex at Souths).

Jumping about like you just won lotto after every try is reserved for Souths 2014 and panthers 2020-2021

Ehhh, I'm not a fan of it either but it seems to be this generation's go.

Nothing will ever match NSW's cringe-worthy ten pin bowling effort back in the 2000s.

mongoose

Coach
There's quality in that Broncos pack, it's not exactly diabolical to be beaten up by them.

I think the thing that people don't realise about professional sport and the NRL in particular is how hard it is to be up mentally and physically every week. There's going to be banana skin games where you're just not there mentally, physically you might have a short turnaround, had a bruising hitout last time around etc. And Penrith potentially had that, yet still found a way to win. There's merit in that. No one is up every week.

For Penrith to win 20 straight round robin games or whatever it is, plus finals last year, it's an incredible effort even if they didn't win in the big show. Which again, isn't to be sneezed at given they were beaten by a great team.

I don't get the hate for the Panthers, barring the arrogance. I love watching them.

The game against the Raiders was very physical, not surprised they might be a little gassed.