What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

The_Frog

First Grade
TPJ is with Penrith for the remainder of the season? He is up against Radley this weekend, let's say he does what he has done his entire career and goes over the top with the aggression with all of his loading and what not, could this be the worst signing of all time?
It's OK, Uncle Nick will just have to make a couple of phone calls and Vic will be out the door.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
WE are Penrith!

Our future is NOW

Our people are locked down in Covid

And the only thing that can make them happy is a Penrith Panthers premiership victory

I have heard the full groans from each of the houses in the Penrith neighbourhood once we lost to the Storm and WE must not allow the depression that comes from the Penrith Panthers losing to hit our town again

Penrith will not lose another game all season

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
It's hilarious that the crackdown happened due to the illegal shots on Roosters players, then it was Roosters players who copped it worst through the crackdown.

From memory my team only had two sinbins through that period. Radley had that in a single game for tackles where it shouldn't have even been a penalty. Sure enough a couple months later and the crackdown is long gone.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
They’re way too artsy
The Penrith Panthers
A sports team with poetry?
It doesn’t seem right.
Here we stick to prose
We prioritize banter
Structure be damned
A plus for effort
The Penrith superstars deserves their due
May it never end

some11

Referee
What ridiculous f**king phase in the game that was. And Vlandis and his cronies have moved on now like it never happened.
But it was about player welfare remember.

He said he would do everything in his power to protect the players.

🤡

Pretty Penny

Juniors
Melbourne’s success is only due to:

1) Salary cap
2) The wrestle
3) The Big Three
4) Cameron Smith
5) NRL special favours
6) Please think of a new reason…

It is normal when a sport introduces a new team for the governing body to “help” that fledgling club. The AFL have supported their new ventures around the country to the tune of $millions plus helping them out with some useful players. In the UK, Superleague gave London special dispensation from their overseas players rule and there have been salary cap exemptions before now.

However Melbourne got zip from the NRL. I get it, the NRL was broke at the time and couldn’t afford it financially but the NRL/Schubert were particularly stringent in some of their other rulings as well. David Gallop in particular came across as someone who begrudged the Storm’s very existence. The beginnings of the SC cheating came about because Waldron expected certain payments to be excluded from the cap and when Schubert ruled the other way, he began his cover up. But it is clear that Waldron did not understand the rules as Brisbane were doing exactly the same thing except they weren’t guaranteeing it as a club.

The fact that the Storm even exist today is probably their greatest ever achievement.

I have always believed Gallop’s punishment for Melbourne was designed to make the club disappear, other teams have cheated the cap before and after & the punishment they received were not near as harsh as what Melbourne got.

Before anyone says I agree with them rorting the cap, I can categorically tell you I don’t agree with any team cheating the cap, I would also agree with the punishment if other teams caught recently were given the same punishment

And it is not just about the fact Cronulla was allowed to keep their premiership even though they were clearly well over the salary cap. And the last few great Brisbane teams were also over the salary cap just the NRL changed the rules to suit guarantees whereas they threw the book at Melbourne without any compassion at all.

They did not allow the Storm to renegotiate existing contracts, forcing the Storm to release players to become cap compliant. Also not letting them play for points in 2010 was an attempt to embarrass them and destroy Melbourne Storm.

Compare this to the Bulldogs 2002. The punishments they received seemed just at the time. However, As part of their punishment the majority of players simply re-signed on smaller contracts. As such they kept their squad together and won the comp in 04. The NRL were really soft on not forcing the Dogs to lose key players as they essentially won a comp with an illegally comprised roster.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Melbourne’s success is only due to:

1) Salary cap
2) The wrestle
3) The Big Three
4) Cameron Smith
5) NRL special favours
6) Please think of a new reason…

It is normal when a sport introduces a new team for the governing body to “help” that fledgling club. The AFL have supported their new ventures around the country to the tune of $millions plus helping them out with some useful players. In the UK, Superleague gave London special dispensation from their overseas players rule and there have been salary cap exemptions before now.

However Melbourne got zip from the NRL. I get it, the NRL was broke at the time and couldn’t afford it financially but the NRL/Schubert were particularly stringent in some of their other rulings as well. David Gallop in particular came across as someone who begrudged the Storm’s very existence. The beginnings of the SC cheating came about because Waldron expected certain payments to be excluded from the cap and when Schubert ruled the other way, he began his cover up. But it is clear that Waldron did not understand the rules as Brisbane were doing exactly the same thing except they weren’t guaranteeing it as a club.

The fact that the Storm even exist today is probably their greatest ever achievement.

I have always believed Gallop’s punishment for Melbourne was designed to make the club disappear, other teams have cheated the cap before and after & the punishment they received were not near as harsh as what Melbourne got.

Before anyone says I agree with them rorting the cap, I can categorically tell you I don’t agree with any team cheating the cap, I would also agree with the punishment if other teams caught recently were given the same punishment
I mean, you're making out like the Storm didn't have a pot to piss in from inception. They had a pretty wealthy owner with a highly vested interest in their success in News Ltd, lol.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
News limited did not create the Bellamy connection

the NRL is to blame for allowing TV to dictate their own schedule. Being so reliant on external funding (anyone remember cigarette advertising?) because the clubs individually and the league collectively did nothing to provide amenities for the fans attending games (I’ll point to Cumberland Oval and Lidcombe, yes I go that far back), now sees them totally reliant on TV money.

And so how do they influence that exactly? What ‘special’ favours have the Storm been given over the years? Is it scheduling home game on Thursday nights? Is it scheduling home games in competition with the AFL’s Collingwood or Richmond teams playing across the road (give me the Sydney equivalent of going head to head with crowds of 80,000+)? Is it penalising them for the infamous salary cap breach more severely than any other team ever? Is it playing the GF in Sydney, eight of them against Sydney clubs? Yeah, the NRL bends over backwards for Melbourne

There may very well be bias against Storm from the NSW public.

I reckon the only team to have suffered more hardship, ie injuries to key players, loss of key players, unable to play/live at home, etc than the Storm since Covid descended upon us is the Warriors and they’ve struggled. In the Storm’s case, they seem to have almost thrived, though I’m sure they and their families have done it tough.

Such a well organised Club.

Latest posts