What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Performance

Juniors
glad we won but holy sh!t are the Tigers are getting a lot of crapped piled on them in the NRL forum.

Strange how quickly the opinion from other team fans change. When we were a fun team but struggling for wins the Tigers were loved but now the Tigers are one of the more consistent teams for the past few years and hated.

Amazing isn't it, don't understand the turn around from neutral supporters.

On the performance, Ive become a big fan of Ryan. Take his try out of it, he's constantly looking for work, running harder than what I can remember from lote, enthusiastic in trying to get a quick play the ball etc he's been a massive surprise in his last 10-12 games.

As for the others, compare them to JTs performance. It's round one and was played on a abnormally hot and humid day.

the reason people are turning on the tigers is the fact none of the tigers fans are admitting they didnt deserve to win today and that a ref f**k up got the win

simmo1

First Grade
Humble was great I thought. If he can play like that week in week out then he'll be a great buy.

Thought Blair was good given the testing conditions (the injuries meant all the forwards had to play long minutes, in very hot weather). It will take time for him to adjust in attack given how different the Tigers play to the Storm.

moller

Juniors
Thought it was pretty average across the park, bar a few patches of top drawer football.
Obvious factors at play - heat, first round, #1 gone after 30 mins. - but still pretty poor.

Doesn't matter though, we got the win and the two points. Onwards and upwards, doesn't get any easier next week.

Not sure what the Sharks are blowing up about (typical 'balanced' match report in the Tele).

Das Hassler

Bench
Interesting - I thought Ellis was fantastic whereas Blair was ordinary. Maybe we are watching him for his price tag and you aren't.

Gotta keep in mind that when Ellis turned up at the Tigers HE wasn't the Ellis who will be going back to England....he totally credits sheens for developing his attacking game and turning him into the elite player he is now (ask him)...i doubt Sheens made getting Blair a priority based on his present game ..as highly as he's already rated by some i'm pretty sure we haven't seen anything yet (of what he will become under sheens)

Fafita looked unfit to me. Dunno what the go is there.

Shoulda picked John green instead.

Anyway. Well done on the win. Your team has smarter players than ours

dumpy

Juniors
I was looking forward to see how tedesco handled 1st grade after progressing from SG ball last year - passed with flying colours and is a star of the future who unfortunately suffered a serious knee injury. His replacement humble tried hard and done good. Ryan was top tiger today with excellent 2nd try. Woods was only prop to bend defensive line, far too much 1 out football associated with 55% completion rate and football still revolves around foundation set up by the pack. Farah and benji were erratic. Moltzen still makes up numbers. Good news - they kept on tackling. Worse player - aysford by a long way, looked disinterested, too slow and constantly caught out of position - should be dropped to freshen up and reprogrammed. Tigers were lucky with some ify decisions but that is how it goes sometimes 2 points is 2 points.

Goldcoasttiger

Juniors
Yep lucky to get away with a win, however in the recent past, we have often been the better side and somehow manage to lose, so it nice to balance that ledger. The teams that go on to the finals always have wins like that during the season. I see scraping a win from that position it as a good sign.

gronkathon

First Grade
Agree super coach.

Ayshford was bad defensively yesterday. Seemed to arm grab alot.

Lawrence was equally bad in defence and even worse in attack. over ran the ball carrier on Moltzen twice killing great overlaps

All of the forwards wer great.

TimmyB

Juniors
Saw this thread yesterday and was surprised at the criticism Blair got. I agree with Supercoach. I thought he played well. Has a little touch of class and seemed to poke his nose through a few times and get a quick play the ball. On one hit up in particular he got an extremely quick play the ball that saw Farah scoot from dummy half. The one on one steal was fantastic and deserved points off the back of it. I think given time he'll be a potent addition.

Groat and woods were excellent.

ive calmed down a little bit now so ill give my 2 cents.

Moltzen didnt have a great game and neither did farrah TBH. Moltzen almost gets in the way at points. Humble was better than him as a link player. benji did what he needed to do and wins games. thats what puts him in the top 5 in the league.

the forwards were probably a tad better than ours TBH. Groat and Woods had standout games and Ellis is always strong.

as for Adam Blair, i thought he had a resonable game and will improve.

one player who is tons under rated is Utai. he had a great game. makes damaging meters when he needs to. is experienced. hits like a train. he's agood to have out there when you dont have Lote.
the thing he lacks is height and we should have exploited that but ried twice for 1 bad kick and another where williams couldnt reel the ball in.

hutch

First Grade
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Fulton. I thought he was very solid yesterday and did a heap of clean up work in defence. Scrappy performance but it is only round 1 and the heat was almost unbearable. Same team next week with humble at fullback and reddy and brown putting pressure on ayshford and utai over the next month or two!

gronkathon

First Grade
The entire pack was excellent considering they were two interchanges down in rotation because of Moltzen subbing on and off for the hand injury. Especially in the conditions for a first game of the season.

Our attack was confused and our fringe defence needs to be honed.

I don't think we can carry Utai on the wing next week against the Eagles with two excellent cross field bomb kickers and receivers

macnaz

Staff member
I think Utai did play well but still lacks what is needed for a winger, I find it a waste of Benjis long pass only to find a guy without the pace to capitalise. Beu altho also slow always has a special knack of scoring. The sharks did find a few gaps on the fringes that maybe Gibbs used to plug but im sure they will work on that. I have a lot of faith in moltzen playing half but yesterdays effort really has me worried, I think Humble could fill the position if needed but please dont put Moltzen to 1. It was great to see 2 fullbacks attacking the ball for a change.

macnaz

Staff member
Ps. Koroibete had a great game and would be perfect in the NRL side

Mader45

Juniors
Ryan was great. All forwards played pretty good but Fulton was a stand out.

Moltzen has no frickin idea what to do when things get messed up in set plays. He panics but still continues it, even when it's blatantly obvious to the opposition or dangerous to the ball receiver. This is where improvisation is heavily required.

We had no formation yesterday. Structure was abismal. The fluke of a line break from Galloway after a hail mary pass showed that. We were bunched up in attack for most sets from the 2nd half.

Tedesco was deja-vu all over again. I highly doubt there were any Tigers supporters who didn't immediately believe Tedesco's season was over after viewing the exact same scene with Moltzen at Dairy Farmers a few years back. Such a shame.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think anyone played all that bad.

The Sharks defence played a lot smarter against us this time than they ever have.

They gave Lawrence and Ayshford absolutely no room.

Blair was slow, but he was playing at five-eighth for some reason why Moltzen was off the field. I'd have thought switching Farah to 7 and Fulton to 9 would have been smarter.

Groat's defensive is a lot more sound and dominant.

f**k we missed Gibbs though.

Tedesco looked fantastic, feel sorry for the kid.

I'd like to see Humble at fullback and Chisholm on the bench next week.

Utai was ok but he's never going to be good enough, he can thank his lucky stars the Sharks didn't get close enough often enough to bombard him with kicks, we could've lost by a shitload.

Should have lost too.

Ball control was shit, kicking game was standard for us. There even looked at times to be very little communication.

A lot of work to do.

As for this week, I'd bring Humble on at Fullback, Chisholm on the bench and Brown on Utai's wing.

I only suggest Chisholm as he's a genuine half and can cover fullback as well. If Moltzen's hand causes him grief, Chisholm would be a very handy benchie to have. He's also quite quick and has a great step, so can fill in on the wing etc as well.

I'm just not sure on Reddy and what we'll do with him, still at this stage seems to be a pointless purchase.

well, we shot ourselves in the foot alot in the first half.

and yeah, should have attacked the midget more with kicks. that said would we have caught em?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think so, no one would've needed to jump.

I thought for most of the game Sharks were far more dominant.

Taking that penalty goal was dumb. We were on the ropes, they would've scored then, I was sure of it.

Nathan Garder didn't help the Sharks either, he had a poor game at the back by his standards.

Gibbs looked good, I think he played more minutes than any other prop, and given the conditions and his good performance, shows why the Tigers fans were so dirty that the club released him.