What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth Bears or bust?!

RedVee

First Grade
Illawarra, Canberra and Newcastle would remain in the NSWRL.

For the NSWRL we could have something like this.

Auckland
Balmain Tigers
Canberra Raiders
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Central Coast
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Illawarra Steelers
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Melbourne
Newcastle Knights
North Sydney Bears
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies

For the QRL we could have had this.

Brisbane Broncos
Cairns Cyclones
Central Queensland Capras
Eastern Suburbs Tigers
Fortitude Valley Diehards
Gold Coast Vikings
Ipswich Jets
Logan City Scorpions
Northern Suburbs Devils
Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns
Redcliffe Dolphins
Southern Suburbs Magpies
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Toowoomba Clydesdales
Townsville Stingers
Western Suburbs Panthers
Wynnum Manly Seagulls

I left our Mackay Sea Eagles because they didn't last long in the Queensland Cup. Over time we might have seen the following clubs die.

Balmain Tigers
Cairns Cyclones
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Fortitude Valley Diehards
Ipswich Jets
Logan City Scorpions
Northern Suburbs Devils
North Sydney Bears
Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies
Western Suburbs Panthers

The competitions would have had a much lower salary cap. Rugby union probably wouldn't have gone professional.

This is jusy my speculation.
I’ll add that the Illawarra Steelers were broke. After 1999 they could no longer even fund the separate NSW Cup level team which is why from 2000 SGI fielded a SGI team at that level instead of a team from each area as per 1999.
For about the first dozen years of SGI the owners financial contribution ran at approximately SG 100% and Illa 0%.

The Steelers precarious financial state is what eventually lead to their exclusion from an ownership position.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I’ll add that the Illawarra Steelers were broke. After 1999 they could no longer even fund the separate NSW Cup level team which is why from 2000 SGI fielded a SGI team at that level instead of a team from each area as per 1999.
For about the first dozen years of SGI the owners financial contribution ran at approximately SG 100% and Illa 0%.

The Steelers precarious financial state is what eventually lead to their exclusion from an ownership position.

Yep, Steelers didn't have the dollars to survive. And tbf, they were still a young club when all hell broke loose in '95. If anything, the Steelers should've listen to local MP and board member at the time, Steve Martin. He recommended the club to go to SL. I think even Wests Illawarra wanted to join SL.

Going to SL may have given the Steelers a better chance of survival, but no guarantees of a spot in a 14 team comp.

But when the Dragons won in 2010, in the 17 man squad, seven juniors were involved- B. Moz, Cooper, Hornby, Young, Creagh, Merrin and Prior.

In that premiership win, both sides of the JV contributed.

Wb1234

Referee
Bruce Gordon is rich af

Illawarra side are richer now

dragons problems is Illawarra don’t have great football iq and doust is an idiot thinking he’s as good an administrator as his father

siv

First Grade
No I don't. Genesis of superleague was in Ribot's head. Rupert wasn't sitting around thinking about starting his own league comp (he was probably thinking of taking over usa cable news at the time). Pay tv side I never argued or disagreed with but you were probably just going to post it anyway..
There were many ideas that dated back to 1973 on how to expand beyond Sydney and bring Brisbane in.

Rebel comp was a reaction from the Broncos almost being expelled in 1993

Without 1993 ACCC decision or Pay-TV money nothing would have started

What would News Ltd say today if the Broncos tried it again? ie without the Pay-TV catalyst

Would ESPN or Amazon want to do it?

Last edited:
There were many ideas that dated back to 1973 on how to expand beyond Sydney and bring Brisbane in.

Rebel comp was a reaction from the Broncos almost being expelled in 1993

Without 1993 ACCC decision or Pay-TV money nothing would have started

What would News Ltd say today if the Broncos tried it again? ie without the Pay-TV catalyst

Would ESPN or Amazon want to do it?
Ch9/STAN might be interested. Ch10/Paramount+ as well.

RedVee

First Grade
Yep, Steelers didn't have the dollars to survive. And tbf, they were still a young club when all hell broke loose in '95. If anything, the Steelers should've listen to local MP and board member at the time, Steve Martin. He recommended the club to go to SL. I think even Wests Illawarra wanted to join SL.

Going to SL may have given the Steelers a better chance of survival, but no guarantees of a spot in a 14 team comp.

But when the Dragons won in 2010, in the 17 man squad, seven juniors were involved- B. Moz, Cooper, Hornby, Young, Creagh, Merrin and Prior.

In that premiership win, both sides of the JV contributed.
Yes great days, and the JV was working properly.

Latest posts