What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Doust about Dragons' future

Mr Red

First Grade
What is clear to me is that Doust and the Board were very aware of what they were/are doing in relation to Price and player recruitment.

really?? you sure about that?

- re-signing an underperforming coach for a further year with 2 year option on the back of 3 very average wins, despite 18 months of rubbish?

- still not ruling out sacking that same coach before the next season starts after showing faith in him to re-sign him only about 6 weeks ago?

- stating that same coach had basically no saying in recruitment for the 2012 season, and then saying that same squad which Doust and the board assembled is not up to standard?

- blaming the loss of Stanley and Beale as the reason we are floundering? pretty certain the ability to not recruit a genuine halfback of first grade quality in over 2 years might have something to do with it??

Doust has always spoken in riddles and remained very non-committal on everything, but in this interview he just sounds plain clueless..

Smurf

Juniors
Hopefully Doust is looking at his own web site re " Latest news "

Dragons' premiership price after round 16
2008 $15
2009 $4.50
2010 $2.75
2011 $3.50
2012 $41
2013 $151

Doust should have got Potter because he is proving to be OK. Best of all he has no fear of sacking underperformers. Ask Benji. Too late now. Huge stuff up imo.

I agree 100% with this.

But, that ship has sailed. So who's available who...

1. Is any good?
2. We have a chance of signing.
3. Is not a wanker (like Jason Taylor)?

Should we look to England?

Father Ted

First Grade
did dousty ever play the game, he has a great side step with his answers.

I think he played Union for North Sydney. Although the family has long roots to ST.George DRLFC. On another matter where have you been hiding?

big pat

Coach
I think he played Union for North Sydney. Although the family has long roots to ST.George DRLFC. On another matter where have you been hiding?

i've been in hiatus, haven't been on facebook either for a couple of weeks, got sick and tired of reading the same negative crap every day.

Twenty10

Juniors
Injuries? Apart from Kyle halves have not been injured. 1 was sacked and the other that they bought has not been given a chance. Were they seriously pinning all their hopes on Kyle? Cooper? King is out for the Season at Souths, they are doing OK? Surely Saints have 1 backup centre and not relied on a 33 year old to stay injury free. Beale? Ummm why would he say that as a big hurdle. Missed Beale for 1 or 2 weeks then brought in Dugan, current NSW fullback. He is now our best player and Beale would not have done what he has done in the games Dugan has played. Hunt? We played the Panthers with 2 of their starting front rowers (McKendry / Manu) out. Look at Panthers and Tigers injuries? The injury card is a clutching at straws excuse.

One thing I can get out of this is that he must not be watching the games on the weekend. If he was he would see how pathetic they have been for the last 18 months.

Doust should have got Potter because he is proving to be OK. Best of all he has no fear of sacking underperformers. Ask Benji. Too late now. Huge stuff up imo.

There is no doubt injuries have played their part... Kyle, Beale, weyman (extended period), cooper, Harrison, king, Merrin suspension, Dugan suspension...all these things have made it hard.

Fire

First Grade
Two positive things I got from that article.

1. He mentioned twice that we are not finished with our 2014 recruitment.
2. Reading between the lines, I don't think Price will be there next year.

TheRev

First Grade
really?? you sure about that?

- re-signing an underperforming coach for a further year with 2 year option on the back of 3 very average wins, despite 18 months of rubbish?

- still not ruling out sacking that same coach before the next season starts after showing faith in him to re-sign him only about 6 weeks ago?

- stating that same coach had basically no saying in recruitment for the 2012 season, and then saying that same squad which Doust and the board assembled is not up to standard?

- blaming the loss of Stanley and Beale as the reason we are floundering? pretty certain the ability to not recruit a genuine halfback of first grade quality in over 2 years might have something to do with it??

Doust has always spoken in riddles and remained very non-committal on everything, but in this interview he just sounds plain clueless..

Yeah blaming injuries is insulting, especially when you look at sides like Tigers, Penrith & Newcastle who had significantly worse injuries in key positions...

Beales injury led to Dugan and was a huge improvement to the side... however I will agree that Cooper's injury has cost us despite what some ppl here think about him.. because he really locks up that left side and ppl have been out of position all year to cover it.. and maybe thats 1-2 extra wins and maybe thats us closer to the 8.. I do however put some of that blame with Price and how he handled the injury replacements.

But.. we were playing terrible footy at full strength too.... our problems are deeper than that.. its a convenient excuse.

Anyway I was very bummed with this article because it sounded like Price was here for 1.5yrs still, but... . . . . .. what else can he say? That Price is about to get the boot? He probably has no choice, and he did specifically say 'right now' he has full support from the board. That could change next week.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Injuries happen to all clubs but the good coaches know how to deal with them better than the poor ones. One way is to plan for injuries and having all you faith in one player (Kyle) and then when he is injured you replace him with your best hooker is not good planning. Penrith and Tigers have a much worse toll than the Dragons and they are going OK.

The enquired about Daniel Mortimer but did not go with him for some reason and went fro Drinkwater. Good decision that was.

Mr Red

First Grade
"we were playing terrible footy at full strength too.... our problems are deeper than that.. its a convenient excuse."

Rev sums it up exactly... selective memory on what has transpired the last 2 seasons...

Changaman

Juniors
"PD: Fans are entitled to expect performance from their football team but informed supporters understand how competitive this competition is."

Are there any "informed supporters" out there. As fans at St George Illawarra we are rarely "informed" about anything Dousty.

Mr Red

First Grade
"PD: Fans are entitled to expect performance from their football team but informed supporters understand how competitive this competition is."

Are there any "informed supporters" out there. As fans at St George Illawarra we are rarely "informed" about anything Dousty.

yeah i laughed at that one as well... i would hope an informed Executive also understands how competitive the competition is, and also understands the term "succession planning" ie have a halfback secured prior to your regular halfback retires... not still be looking 2 seasons later...

Elias1983

Coach

You know who bloody better be informed is Doust himself....

If the reports are true that Barba is looking to return to Brisbane soon, he better lock up Dugan in a freaking heart-beat!!!

You can count on Hasler having a go for Dugan and it would be a bloody tempting offer for Dugan to play under a coach like hasler!

big pat

Coach
did anyone just get the red v email, just the first paragraph,

You – our Red V Members are the lifeblood of our Club and the money you contribute is essential in supporting the team and ensuring the playing squad can compete in such a competitive NRL environment.

peter must be reading these forums.

possm

Coach
You know who bloody better be informed is Doust himself....

If the reports are true that Barba is looking to return to Brisbane soon, he better lock up Dugan in a freaking heart-beat!!!

You can count on Hasler having a go for Dugan and it would be a bloody tempting offer for Dugan to play under a coach like hasler!

Should have been done weeks ago. How come it takes so long for Douost to finalise deals?

Latest posts