What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Gallagher RIP

Big Tommy

Juniors
Former Brothers, Queensland and Australian legend Peter Gallagher lost his battle with cancer last night and died at home on the Gold Coast. I'm certain one or two other Brothers Valleys people on the forum may fill in some more details later - but I just wanted to record the loss of a real legend.

Rest in peace Pedro

mud n blood

Juniors
Yes - heard this arvo. :(

Another legend, another one gone.

209 games for Brothers.
6 grand finals - 3 as captain.
3 premierships - 2 as captain.
5 times winning Bulimba Cup team member.

Have his Qld and Aussie record at home somewhere as well.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
One of the real stars of the game when I was a kid - few players or people earned greater respect than Peter Gallagher.

He was quite friendly with my late brother who lived down the Coast. I met him a few times in the 70's when I worked as a bookie's clerk at the Gold Coast races. He was also at my brother's funeral about seven years ago.

Peter Gallagher had a real presence, there was something special about him despite him never trying to impress anyone. His passing will greatly sadden anyone who knew him.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Caught part of an excellent interview this morning on 4TAB with Reg Cannon, former Brothers second rower and teammate of Peter Gallagher.

Some great stories and memories.

Might have something on "Pedro's Power" at Ipswich today !

mud n blood

Juniors
Here's a snippit of an interview I conducted with him a couple of years back. Paints a picture of the good old days (late 50's) .....

"A typical… and just a typical incident in those days when I was an up and coming young player full of ambition and keen to knock the old dog off his log and Bobby Bax said to me, our coach, before we were playing Wests one day at Lang Park, he said “Duncan Hall has got a crook knee. I want you to concentrate on that right knee of his and every time you get near him give it a bump or a twist and whatever you can do, do it.”

Of course I dutifully followed Bob’s, the coach’s instructions. I was the source of constant annoyance to Duncan during the match and whether he had the ball or not I was annoying him and trying to give his leg a bump or twist. Anyhow at the end of the game and we’d won the game and Duncan was looking worse for wear and the full-time whistle had blown and Duncan had called out “Oh Peter.” I thought “Oh gee what a sportsman. He’s going to say congratulations.” As I turned he hit me with the best backhand that I’ve ever seen. Split my mouth open, both lips and dented all my teeth. Of course I retaliated in whatever way I could until they broke us up but that was my lesson from the great Duncan Hall."

You gotta laugh .... :lol:

zulu

Juniors
Sad sad news. Heard some great stories about the man.

The news of his passing made news down here in Sydney which was pleasing. He was given a good mention on radio with Roddy Gellagos paying him a great tribute on racing radio 2KY this morning. And he didn't just mention his prowess as a racing administrator either, he spoke about his days and loyalty to Brothers. Rod even revealed his own affection for the Devils in the tribute.

Radio 2UE had something this morning as well.

R.I.P

XXXX Cap

Juniors
mud n blood said:
Yes - heard this arvo. :(

Another legend, another one gone.

209 games for Brothers.
6 grand finals - 3 as captain.
3 premierships - 2 as captain.
5 times winning Bulimba Cup team member.

Have his Qld and Aussie record at home somewhere as well.

Mud, I'm just trying to work out which Grand Finals Pedro played in to fit those statistics. I might have thought he only played in two winning Grand Finals - 1958 and 1967. He was captain in 1967. He would have been in the losing team in 1957, 1959, 1964 and 1966.

Didn't think he played in the 1956 Brothers Premiership team and he retired before the 1968 season. :?: :?: :?:

mud n blood

Juniors
*sigh* - you are indeed correct, Mr Cap. I buggered up the '66 grand final which Bruvvas actually lost to Norfs, not vice versa .... :roll: doh !

Tommy - I'll go thru the whole interview this weekend and pluck out a few more stories for here.

Matty - I'll also pull out his Qld playing record at some stage as well.

Latest posts