What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Mulholland

Interesting interview especially the questions about Merrin and Bird.

With Merrin he stated their was never any hand sahke agreement with him the club or Merrin and his manager so some one is talking shit who i have no diea.

He stated they offered him a good offer and Penrith offered more which is clear to see and I think the Dragons offer was low but what can you do when your cap is in a bad state.

On Bird they had been negotiating with him for quite a while with the same amount offered by the club and the sharks but the Sharks basically saying yes you'll play first grade and the Dragons saying you'll have to earn a spot again how true this is i don't know but thats what Mulholland stated.

getsmarty

Immortal
Judging from this..Merrin is gone and Nightingale and Creagh are not definite re-signings. Sounds like we will have a lot of juniors coming through.

jenninga

First Grade
Judging from this..Merrin is gone and Nightingale and Creagh are not definite re-signings. Sounds like we will have a lot of juniors coming through.

Yeah,didn't sound too positive in regards to Nighty re signing.

denis preston

First Grade
Mulholland obviously doesn't want to make the same mistake that Young/Doust did in resigning Young, Hornby,Cooper & Fein just when they were on a downward curve. Love them to stay but it won't encourage the youth to stay and they could do a Bird.

FlameThrower

Bench

Yes Merrib has been gone for a while, I thought Creagh had 1 more year left in him and Nightengale at least another 2 years? I don't think our junior depth is as big as we make it out to be??? So that will make Benji most senior player next year..

krispyredv

Juniors
It frees up alot more cash to make some significant signings, we cant keep choosing based on emotion. Creagh and Nightingale have 2 good years at best.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Nighty is a must to re-sign........we can't strip the place bear of experienced juniors and only have a team of players thrown together from other clubs.

nrlnrl

First Grade
It frees up alot more cash to make some significant signings, we cant keep choosing based on emotion. Creagh and Nightingale have 2 good years at best.

not much to spend in 2016, but 2017 will allow for some significant signings

TheRev

Coach
Love them to stay but it won't encourage the youth to stay and they could do a Bird.
Sorry but the "young talent" is rarer than hens teeth in U20's and the Cutters, only a couple who are even 'maybes' for first grade.. Dufty the big one, but far too early to tell with him.

Jack Bird was a freak and im not sure ill ever recover from news of his loss, for a club so scarce on talent and we still continue to lose the few we do have.. we certainly had a few extra dollars to throw at him over some of the other rubbish we purchased for 2015, the club obviously didnt think he was worth it pre-season.. and here we are.. watching other fans and media debate when Bird will be playing origin, this year or next.. fmd.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
Really don't understand how they are so hesitate towards re signing nightingale like his 28 years old has loads of experience, runs the ball hard, never fails, is a international winger and has quality defense as well as being a local junior ... Easily has another 2-4 years in him, why they would risk loosing him for a player like kiti glymin to come in Makes no sense what so ever.. We don't have experienced wingers and already lost Morris, nightingale is still young and a great mentor at the club he must be re signed

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
You blokes over read things. It all comes down to $$$. It is a NEGOTIATION.

Does not happen over night and there is no need to rush. We will get last right of refusal on both and as good as they both are, other clubs wouldn't be knocking too loudly on eithers door.

They will both stay I reckon.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Maybe someone can help me with this but I thought I heard Bird interviewed on Nine a couple of weeks ago and they were discussing his form and move to the sharks, etc. etc..
I thought the reporter asked him something about the management of his medical issue ?? which was an arthritis condition ??

Not sure, but (I know he has been red hot lately) is this in some way related to why the Dragons let him go? or maybe I have his wrong, apologies if the case.

getsmarty

Immortal
Maybe someone can help me with this but I thought I heard Bird interviewed on Nine a couple of weeks ago and they were discussing his form and move to the sharks, etc. etc..
I thought the reporter asked him something about the management of his medical issue ?? which was an arthritis condition ??

Not sure, but (I know he has been red hot lately) is this in some way related to why the Dragons let him go? or maybe I have his wrong, apologies if the case.

Mullholland says our money was similar to Cronulla but Bird wanted a guarantee that he would play first grade and that this is something that shouldn't be promised to such a young player. They need to earn it. He also hinted that there was interest down the track to bring him back.

Wobbygong

First Grade

He has a severe form of Rheumatoid Arthritis, but it can be managed by very expensive medication which costs 20-30k a year which we were covering. Normally they put people on more affordable drugs like methotrexate etc however they can make you feel quite unwell and wouldn't be conducive to an NRL footballer needing to train everyday. However I don't think this had any impact on us trying to re sign him. We did match the sharks offer, however they promised him NRL spot we refused. Which I disagree with Mulholland there, I'd promise him a shot at NRL throw him in a few games if he steps up Win win, if he doesn't meet expectations then you can say we gave him the guaranteed shot.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Thanks for the information Wobby. It must be bloody tough to play first grade rugby league with this. All the best to him! Cheers.