What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Mulholland

TheRev

Coach
Cooper is the only priority signing of that lot and it looks like he will stay
The point of all the scatter-gun 1year signings is to give options to keep the performers and clean out the rest... Cooper signed for 2yrs yesterday I thought, and yes the rest are probably the blokes we dont want next year.. Rose has to go, Nabuli is hardly a priority (unless he comes good quickly), Matautai is complicated, supposedly he wants to go play with his brothers.. no rush imo on him, I like him but wont bother me too much either way, itll sort itself out soon enough.

Apparently the cap wont be fixed until 2017 so you wont see major signings until late next year..
If you havent watched the 3 part series on the dragon website with Mulholland, check it out, I really have a lot of faith in him after listening.. he just seems like a really switched on bloke who knows the recruiting/cap game.. after putting up with Price's media rubbish for all these years, I really like blokes who can communicate whats going on at the club...

But he talks about the cycle of signings, that we cant go after any names until 2017 when they get control of the cap again post-price. Hunt is the most obvious example coming off contract, im assuming there are some others also in mind.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Here is the material difference between what Mulholland is doing as compared to Craig Young. Mulholland watches other games not the dragons games. Fat Albert was always on the sidelines thinking he was the coach. No wonder we are in the mess. Secondly Mulholland is very intelligent. Intelligence is no where to be found in Craig Youngs call sheet.

I recently attended a past captains/coach function at Souths. All the old famous players and coaches talked about was their Grand Final wins. That was what they remembered most about their careers. It seemed that nothing else that they achieved in their careers mattered. Even one or two of the current players reckon that the grand final winning feeling will be something hard to top. Playing for Australia - State of origin etc didn't come anywhere near the grand final experience . The point of all this is that it is extremely unlikely and sad that Jack Bird will not experience this pinnacle. Having chosen a club that is the least likely of NRL clubs to win a grand final - he has more or less cut himself off from ever reaching that goal - unless he comes back to the Drags or at least some other club that has a Grand Final winning mentality......

TheRev

Coach
it is extremely unlikely and sad that Jack Bird will not experience this pinnacle. Having chosen a club that is the least likely of NRL clubs to win a grand final - he has more or less cut himself off from ever reaching that goal

Take ur point in hindsight, but when Jack signed this was the state of play:

1) Jack Bird was about 6th in line for centre.. and based on the approach saints have adopted for blooding juniors in previous seasons.. had little chance of seeing first grade for the Dragons in 2015.. he may have still been in the 2nd row.

2) The Dragons were specials for the Wooden Spoon with a Coach who couldnt coach & was on the nose with the playing group.

I too wish Jack had of had some patience or we had of offered a bit more to keep him in the system, but with our lack of success in recent years, we werent seen as a premiership contender any time soon, frankly we've still got plenty to prove in that regard, 2 losses and were mid-pack. Also were still 1-2yrs from clearing the roster and being on a level playing field.

In any case, he should have up to 10 years in the NRL if his knees are actually up for it.. he may only spend 2 of them at Cronulla.. if he keeps getting better & doesnt come back home.. im sure the roosters or dogs will find some magic money for him.

giboz71

First Grade
I recently attended a past captains/coach function at Souths. All the old famous players and coaches talked about was their Grand Final wins. That was what they remembered most about their careers. It seemed that nothing else that they achieved in their careers mattered. Even one or two of the current players reckon that the grand final winning feeling will be something hard to top. Playing for Australia - State of origin etc didn't come anywhere near the grand final experience . The point of all this is that it is extremely unlikely and sad that Jack Bird will not experience this pinnacle. Having chosen a club that is the least likely of NRL clubs to win a grand final - he has more or less cut himself off from ever reaching that goal - unless he comes back to the Drags or at least some other club that has a Grand Final winning mentality......

Yep...totally get what you're saying.

But at the time he signed for Cronulla last year, we were probably as far from a Grand Final as the Sharks were. We were a rabble last year, sub standard side and 600k over the cap. And to add insult to injury, there wasn't a guarantee he'd get a run in FG.

Makes his decision to go the Sharks a no brainer really.

TheRev

Coach
Yep...totally get what you're saying.

But at the time he signed for Cronulla last year, we were probably as far from a Grand Final as the Sharks were. We were a rabble last year, sub standard side and 600k over the cap. And to add insult to injury, there wasn't a guarantee he'd get a run in FG.

Makes his decision to go the Sharks a no brainer really.
hes also managed to double his salary within the first month of the season... youd have to say that the move has paid off handsomely...

conversely now he can never be a lifetime dragon ;-)

Take ur point in hindsight, but when Jack signed this was the state of play:

1) Jack Bird was about 6th in line for centre.. and based on the approach saints have adopted for blooding juniors in previous seasons.. had little chance of seeing first grade for the Dragons in 2015.. he may have still been in the 2nd row.

2) The Dragons were specials for the Wooden Spoon with a Coach who couldnt coach & was on the nose with the playing group.

I too wish Jack had of had some patience or we had of offered a bit more to keep him in the system, but with our lack of success in recent years, we werent seen as a premiership contender any time soon, frankly we've still got plenty to prove in that regard, 2 losses and were mid-pack. Also were still 1-2yrs from clearing the roster and being on a level playing field.

In any case, he should have up to 10 years in the NRL if his knees are actually up for it.. he may only spend 2 of them at Cronulla.. if he keeps getting better & doesnt come back home.. im sure the roosters or dogs will find some magic money for him.

Straight from the Bird's mouth:

1. Central to his decision in leaving Dragons was unpaid monies!!!

2. He doesn't like the Sharks (nor Flanagan). There was even an instance where he had to pay the club $25 for replacement shorts.

Straight Shooter

Twenty10

Juniors

2. He doesn't like the Sharks (nor Flanagan). There was even an instance where he had to pay the club $25 for replacement shorts.

Straight Shooter

That's absolute BS

The Nick

Bench

Straight Shooter

Yes and we all know how much credibility you have, sh!t shooter. But cheers for offering a fresh post, I can imagine how hard it was for you to stray from your usual repetitive garbage.

Thoughts have been with you the last 7 weeks, I appreciate how tough it would have been for you to see the club winning :D

News on Nightingale not encouraging.
The offer tabled is not in line with the players experience and they are looking at other otions.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Why? He has lived in Australia since he was a kid and loved Saints.

The mail over here is getting stronger - they've been chasing him for a while.

If it's true that we have come in with a below par offer, then I'd say he'll go there rather than anywhere else.

The mail over here is getting stronger - they've been chasing him for a while.

If it's true that we have come in with a below par offer, then I'd say he'll go there rather than anywhere else.

Yeah, letting him go must be part of the 'grand final winning mentality' TheLithgowDragon was talking about. FMD.

Straight Shooter

Good to see you can't whinge about the team actually winning so you'll pick up n something that hasn't even happened and might not either.

Good one shit shoveler.

Latest posts