What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Mulholland

The Rev, why would I watch cronulla games if I follow the dragons. I don't go out of my way to watch crappy teams play just for the sake to see a dragons junior shine behind a crap team.

I follow the dragons, not the sharks, and also, if Jack Bird wanted to stay why didn't he stay? Oh, that's right, he turned his back on the club who helped him through his injury and bought him through the grades to the player he is today.

We don't need him and the club made the right decision, we aren't going to be held to ransom by an untried junior all because he wants a first grade spot, the club is bigger than any one player. Don't care how good they are.

On this occasion the player stuffed up, not the club.

TheRev

Coach
The Rev, why would I watch cronulla games if I follow the dragons. I don't go out of my way to watch crappy teams play just for the sake to see a dragons junior shine behind a crap team.
And noones making you, but you also dont have the right to criticise Birds form in 2015 if your not watching his games, because believe me, its not just hype... hes toying with some of the best defensive lines in the business, and dominating at Age 20, hence his rep call up after just 4 games.

Rev, what makes you say Timmins? What role would he have that held such sway?
It will be one of Steelman's posts, apparently gave the kid a really tough time in U20's, dunno if its just that, but something seemed to go really wrong for this to go down the way it did.

BennyV

Referee
Us fans have to respect that, and we have our say by being members of the football club and voting at the football club elections, that is our say in the club.

Just as an aside, we dont have that say or right to vote in elections as footy club fans. The Board and CEO are effectively elected by themselves from the boards of the leagues club...they arent really answerable to anyone...

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Just as an aside, we dont have that say or right to vote in elections as footy club fans. The Board and CEO are effectively elected by themselves from the boards of the leagues club...they arent really answerable to anyone...

Who votes for the directors for the Leagues Club?

Cagey Mac

Bench
Six in a row
Far exceeding expectations
Nielsen gone
Recruitment isn't looking too shabby
Long way to go but
Results do count as does discipline and player condition management which gas been keeping us relevant in a very tight comp
Cheerio

giboz71

First Grade
As for the notion that Bird is arrogant for wanting a guarantee of a first grade spot, isn't that what all young players are hoping for ?

And as far as a contractual negotiation, I think it was a reasonable request given the recent history of the Dragons not playing their juniors under Price. As Rev said, he is a rare talent and didn't want his talents being wasted in the Cutters. As a talented junior, would you have trusted getting a fair crack in first grade given recent years?

Aitken would probably be still playing in the Cutters if Nielsen didn't get punted.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
As for the notion that Bird is arrogant for wanting a guarantee of a first grade spot, isn't that what all young players are hoping for ?

And as far as a contractual negotiation, I think it was a reasonable request given the recent history of the Dragons not playing their juniors under Price. As Rev said, he is a rare talent and didn't want his talents being wasted in the Cutters. As a talented junior, would you have trusted getting a fair crack in first grade given recent years?

Aitken would probably be still playing in the Cutters if Nielsen didn't get punted.

Aitken replaced Nielsen before he got in trouble.

Rare talent, absolutely for Bird. Wiĺling to just play his role and sacrifice? I dunno.

Look, he's the best kid I've seen in 20 years. But he still is only that - a 20 year old. May need to mature a little.

Is what it is.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Aitken replaced Nielsen before he got in trouble.

Rare talent, absolutely for Bird. Wiĺling to just play his role and sacrifice? I dunno.

Look, he's the best kid I've seen in 20 years. But he still is only that - a 20 year old. May need to mature a little.

Is what it is.

Nailed it

I'd hazard to say Mary would have said the same thing to even more established seniors play well and you'll get picked.

If Bird didn't want to wait then he did the right thing and left but why for an example hasn't Runciman left he has stuck around and is waiting for his turn and he'll get one sooner or later.

I don't see Bird turning into another Henry or Cummins but more a Whare or Linnett and you never know he may come back the door has been left open for him and if the Sharks piss Gal off he just might.

If he was to come back and turn out like a Beau Scott i'd be delighted.

TheRev

Coach
I don't see Bird turning into another Henry or Cummins but more a Whare or Linnett and you never know he may come back the door has been left open for him and if the Sharks piss Gal off he just might.

If he was to come back and turn out like a Beau Scott i'd be delighted.

Hmmm.. .I dont really seem him as a Beau Scott enforcer due to size mostly... though I guess Beau did play Centre for the Dragons for some time... Birds gifts really seem to be running at the line and making good calls on setting up his outside men.. while posing real threats that he will go himself, and thats probably a Centre, though you want himto get more ball in his hands.. esp if hes worth big dollars now.

When I originally thought Bird should come in as a 1st grade centre (instead of 2nd row) due to his lack of size, I recall Steelman saying he was too slow for centre, but that doesnt really seem to be the case to me, he is skipping outside defenders like he has all the time in the world to make a decision, perhaps he will focus more on speed than beefing up for the 2nd row.. perhaps he will play as a lock longterm.. hard to say.. kid could do whatevs.. also isnt a half bad fullback either.. which would give him plenty of ball and flexibility.

Given his medical condition, I would not be in a hurry to pay big dollars for the kid.

There is no doubt he is a rare talent.

Question is how durable he will be, given his problem.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Forget about Bird, what's Mulholland doing about the rest of the squad? Matatuia? Rose? Nabuli? Cooper? All remain unsigned beyond next season. Seems as though most other teams are already making moves for 2016. with their roster.

Yes we are travelling well on the field ATM, but goodness, it still seems to me that the Dragons move painfully slow on the player market, and are more so reactive rather than proactive.

watatank

Coach
Forget about Bird, what's Mulholland doing about the rest of the squad? Matatuia? Rose? Nabuli? Cooper? All remain unsigned beyond next season. Seems as though most other teams are already making moves for 2016. with their roster.

Yes we are travelling well on the field ATM, but goodness, it still seems to me that the Dragons move painfully slow on the player market, and are more so reactive rather than proactive.

Cooper is the only priority signing of that lot and it looks like he will stay

Apparently the cap wont be fixed until 2017 so you wont see major signings until late next year..