What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Totally irrelevant but since most of the action is on here :

Saddest tweets of the year :

" Leckie, who grew up an Essendon supporter in the AFL, has scored the winning goal for Australia."

" someone has to have a picture of Leckie with a Sherrin by now right? "

" A question for
@traderadio
- where would Leckie have gone in the draft "

So fumbleball, so sad.

The_Wookie

Bench
Totally irrelevant but since most of the action is on here :

Saddest tweets of the year :

" Leckie, who grew up an Essendon supporter in the AFL, has scored the winning goal for Australia."

" someone has to have a picture of Leckie with a Sherrin by now right? "

" A question for
@traderadio
- where would Leckie have gone in the draft "

So fumbleball, so sad.

good lord, it was a joke. I was bored at work and made a stack of similar tweets

Maximus

Coach
No he didnt. And Just because you call someone a troll doesnt make them one. Any more than you calling a club unviable makes them one.

Are you suggesting I faked those posts?

Throughout your responses you kept posting that the NRL would lose money and were suggesting he disagreed despite the fact that he clearly stated that repeatedly. You were clearly lying about his stance.

The_Wookie

Bench
Are you suggesting I faked those posts?

No. Im suggesting you took my posts out of context just as much - its apparently getting around - apparently even suggesting I was lying, given my point was that that cutting the league season by a 1/3rd was a stupid concept with no chance of getting off the ground - and the financial loss was part of that.

My direct responses to his posts - my "lies" as it were

Theres not going to be a reduction in the season by 1/3rd or more. Thats just ludicrous
Proper List management will accommodate the same thing. No one is going to cop the massive reduction in revenue that goes along with cutting the season by a third. Its just not going to happen.
And you apparently dont understand either broadcasting or finance or player wages or club funding or a whole bunch of reasons why cutting 1/3rd of a season is the stupidest thing ive seen on this forum

Throughout your responses you kept posting that the NRL would lose money and were suggesting he disagreed despite the fact that he clearly stated that repeatedly. You were clearly lying about his stance.

See above. Ill note that you cant seriously talk about cutting 1/3rd of the season and disregard the financial impact thereof because "screw the broadcasters".

I mean he did write this - and this is the whole unabridged paragraph -

From a viewer's perspective the season drags on too long and becomes boring. Shortening the season will make the matches more exciting and offer better value to the broadcasters and sponsors.

But hey, you've already made your call. Gotta respect that.

The bit you quoted says the games will be more exciting and thus better value to the broadcasters. I didn't say the broadcasters would pay the same for less content.

We can both agree the season won't be reduced by one-third nor will the NRL get the same amount of money for just two-thirds as many games.

Maximus

Coach
No. Im suggesting you took my posts out of context just as much - its apparently getting around - apparently even suggesting I was lying, given my point was that that cutting the league season by a 1/3rd was a stupid concept with no chance of getting off the ground - and the financial loss was part of that.

My direct responses to his posts - my "lies" as it were

See above. Ill note that you cant seriously talk about cutting 1/3rd of the season and disregard the financial impact thereof because "screw the broadcasters".

But hey, you've already made your call. Gotta respect that.

The implication you were making is that he believed cutting 1/3rd of the season wouldn't lose the NRL money. Which is why your mate Phil, the other person I called out as lying, claimed you proved he did say that.

At no stage in this post did I say we'll get the same money for a 16-18 round NRL competition as we do today.

Comedy at its best .
I didn’t say that .
Wookie gives 2 examples where you did say that.
I didn’t mean that ….

you should be a politician .
you have the doublespeak deny deny bullshit down pat .

And better value does not necessarily mean more total money. It's about getting the most value possible out of a small sample. The NFL have 16 games a week, but only sell 3 primetime games. 60% of their revenue comes from those 3 games. They make a shitload more from splitting those games up, making them exclusive and selling to the highest bidder. And it's successful. They make $10bn a year

If the NRL was to cut out all of those games and continue to just sell to 9 and fox, yeah it'd be a complete disaster and they'd lose a shitload of money. If the NRL took advantage of the situation and looked at what the likes of the NFL and EPL do, they could create more value from the games that remain. While the total revenue would be less, it puts them in a much better position than they are in now where everything is dictated by 2 networks.

The_Wookie

Bench
The implication you were making is that he believed cutting 1/3rd of the season wouldn't lose the NRL money. Which is why your mate Phil, the other person I called out as lying, claimed you proved he did say that.

That implication isnt in my posts. My implication is that its a moronic idea and you cant just disregard the broadcasters because "screw them".

And better value does not necessarily mean more total money. It's about getting the most value possible out of a small sample. The NFL have 16 games a week, but only sell 3 primetime games. 60% of their revenue comes from those 3 games. They make a shitload more from splitting those games up, making them exclusive and selling to the highest bidder. And it's successful. They make $10bn a year

If the NRL was to cut out all of those games and continue to just sell to 9 and fox, yeah it'd be a complete disaster and they'd lose a shitload of money. If the NRL took advantage of the situation and looked at what the likes of the NFL and EPL do, they could create more value from the games that remain. While the total revenue would be less, it puts them in a much better position than they are in now where everything is dictated by 2 networks.

That would work fine in a real world were the total revenue was irrelevant. And thats the point. No one will take less revenue. I never said he didnt believe they wouldnt lose money. I said no one would accept that. The players wont, the clubs wont, the league wont.

Its not using https so it shows as unsecure. It also doesnt require anyone to enter personal information of any kind, and in a decade every one else of the thousands of hits it gets a month seems to have managed without complaint.
This is what I get when I try to view it.

Attachments

• 96C535CE-E624-410F-9A61-474AD2C681C4.jpeg
    96C535CE-E624-410F-9A61-474AD2C681C4.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2