What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
As long as 3 to 4 games are still on FTA it won’t be a problem.
Dunno foxtel is averaging 600k ish a game and growing which is similar to fta

do we want to go to a minor pay network and then wait a few years for everyone to switch over

I hate news ltd but foxtels coverage of nrl is spot on

nines is cringeworthy imo

The_Wookie

Bench

Thats a nice table but not the most important, those are at the back in the concise reporting. Eg.

2021ARLCAR.PNG

You're literally confirming what I'm saying, that grassroots funding had a big hole in it last year! Now hopefully its been put back this year and that the NRl reverts back to its strategy post 2017 to increase funding in this area. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 1669881408452.png
    1669881408452.png
    97 KB · Views: 4

docbrown

Coach

do we want to go to a minor pay network and then wait a few years for everyone to switch over

The goal is to maximise broadcast rights revenue without sacrificing accessibility. As long as there are 3 to 4 games on 10 and 10/Paramount outbids their rivals, then there’s really no issue.

I also don’t think you’d see people wait years to switch. People are now used to switching often between streamers. You’d see Kayo and Foxtel subscribers plummet pretty quickly after the change over.

docbrown

Coach

I posted this in the media forum but basically this is what the NRL should be aiming to pitch to 10/Paramount if they want a record broadcast deal.

Thursday Night Football --
Paramount+ ad-free exclusive game
6:30 pregame -- 7:10 kickoff -- 8:50 post game and panel show -- 10:00 end -- 3.5 hr block

Friday Night Double Header --
Channel 10 two games also simulcast ad-free Paramount+
6:30 pregame -- 6:40 kickoff one -- 8:20 kickoff two -- 10:00 post games -- 11:00 end -- 4.5 hr block
(Friday teams: at least 1 QLD team, 1 Mel/Perth team and 2 NSW teams most weeks (can vary) -- 2-3 metro target)
(10 Bold channel flip in non-targeted states like SA, TAS)

Saturday Football --
Paramount+ ad-free three exclusive games
12:30 & 2:00 NRLW kickoffs -- 3:40 pregame -- 4:00, 6:00 & 8:00 NRL mens kickoffs -- 9:40 post game -- 11:00 end -- 10.5 hr block

Sunday Afternoon Football --
Channel 10 one game also simulcast ad-free on Paramount+
1:00 pregame -- 1:20 NRLW kickoff -- 2:50 pregame -- 3:15 NRL mens kickoff -- 4:55 post game -- 5:00 break into News -- 4 hr block

Sunday Night Football --
Channel 10 exclusive game -- no Paramount+ coverage -- top game of the week
5:30 pregame -- 5:45 kickoff -- 7:25pm post game -- 7:30 break into Sunday night programming -- 2 hr block
(so including afternoons 6hr total on Sundays)
(Sunday arvo/night teams: at least 1 QLD team, 1 Mel/Perth team and 2 NSW teams most weeks (can vary) -- 2-3 metro target)

Monday Night Football --
6:30 pregame -- 7:10 kickoff -- 8:50 post game and panel show -- 10:00 end -- 3.5 hr block

Also before anyone gets nit picky about times, its just an example of how to balance FTA and subscription coverage.

Ill respond to whatever i damn well like.
You're very selective and intent on bailing out Phil.

For the last time, distributions from the league are not a handout. They are a guarantee as part of the license. The NRL cannot withhold them.

I'm judging clubs by their ability to generate revenue on their own from the value of their brand. To do that you need to look at how many people purchase memberships, tickets, merchandise and sponsorship packages.

You're arguing something altogether different by including gaming machine revenue and the annual grant from the ARLC, which is dumb as it doesn't give us any indication of how much money these clubs make on their own from football operations. I believe you're just being a troll and arguing for the sake of it, just like when you were caught out lying about my posts the other day.

Gaming machine revenue is perfectly legal.

For now. Up until the 1990s it was illegal in Queensland. Up until 1956 it was illegal in NSW. It's still illegal in WA. There's a political campaign to phase pokies out altogether.

No its not.
It impacts how much can be spent on the RLPA and tiers below NRL., so yes, it is debatable. You'll get the RLPA, QRL and NSWRL wanting more than they currently get and to give them what they want then the annual grant to the clubs will.need to be reduced.

No it doesnt. The distribution covers the salary cap, and the CBA covers the rest.

The clubs want $5m on top of the salary cap for themselves. The $5m that will be given straight to the each club would be better in the hands of the players.

Club viability isnt just determined by football revenues alone. Its a smart club that diversifies interests. The Big AFL clubs have done it, the NRL clubs have leagues clubs and private owners.

In the end it doesnt matter where the revenue comes from, the club remains viable as long as it can service its debts and be relatively profitable.

Gaming machine revenue is dropping because young people aren't as interested in playing the pokies. There's no guarantee punting will even be legal in 10 or 15 years. We all know what happened to the NSWRL/QRL sponsorship deal with Winfield after tobacco companies were prohibited from advertising in the mid 1990s.

And beaten by Souths, Parra and the Roosters. This is not exactly favouring your argument. Particularly it can vary from year to year depending on form and fixturing.

Isn't that going by all matches on Ch9 and Foxtel?

Not really an apples vs apples comparison when some clubs get more FTA than others, is it?

its also the industry standard, and pretty much all there is. So you feel free to make up your own conclusions on...what..feelings?

How about something that's absolute, like revenue from football operations?

The_Wookie

Bench
You're very selective and intent on bailing out Phil.

Your quite selective in the data you are choosing to make a point.

I'm judging clubs by their ability to generate revenue on their own from the value of their brand. To do that you need to look at how many people purchase memberships, tickets, merchandise and sponsorship packages.

Thats not the only thing that makes them viable though.

You're arguing something altogether different by including gaming machine revenue and the annual grant from the ARLC, which is dumb as it doesn't give us any indication of how much money these clubs make on their own from football operations. I believe you're just being a troll and arguing for the sake of it, just like when you were caught out lying about my posts the other day.

Your arguing clubs arent viable when they financially are and then cherry picking the revenues you think that matter to make an utterly irrelevant point.

I believe youve no idea what your talking about.. for instance like claiming i lied about your posts despite multiple examples of your posts. lol.

For now. Up until the 1990s it was illegal in Queensland. Up until 1956 it was illegal in NSW. It's still illegal in WA. There's a political campaign to phase pokies out altogether.

Get back to me when its not. They arent going anywhere any time soon, and untik they do is a perfectly legal way to make money.

It impacts how much can be spent on the RLPA and tiers below NRL., so yes, it is debatable.

No its not.

You'll get the RLPA, QRL and NSWRL wanting more than they currently get and to give them what they want then the annual grant to the clubs will.need to be reduced.

The grant the clubs gets includes the money the players get in wages sooooo no.

The clubs want $5m on top of the salary cap for themselves. The $5m that will be given straight to the each club would be better in the hands of the players.

Clubs have every right to expect funding. No clubs, no players.

Gaming machine revenue is dropping because young people aren't as interested in playing the pokies.

Is it really dropping because of that, or due to COVID lockdowns and folks not yet fully returned.

There's no guarantee punting will even be legal in 10 or 15 years.

lol ok. anything is possible.

Isn't that going by all matches on Ch9 and Foxtel?

Not really an apples vs apples comparison when some clubs get more FTA than others, is it?

Lol where do you think this f**king data comes from. Where did YOU pull YOUR data from. You started the ratings conversation here.

How about something that's absolute, like revenue from football operations?

How about that has nothing to do with tv ratings.

Canard

Immortal
I posted this in the media forum but basically this is what the NRL should be aiming to pitch to 10/Paramount if they want a record broadcast deal.

Thursday Night Football --

Friday Night Double Header --
Channel 10 two games also simulcast ad-free Paramount+
6:30 pregame -- 6:40 kickoff one -- 8:20 kickoff two -- 10:00 post games -- 11:00 end -- 4.5 hr block
(Friday teams: at least 1 QLD team, 1 Mel/Perth team and 2 NSW teams most weeks (can vary) -- 2-3 metro target)

Saturday Football --
Paramount+ ad-free three exclusive games
12:30 & 2:00 NRLW kickoffs -- 3:40 pregame -- 4:00, 6:00 & 8:00 NRL mens kickoffs -- 9:40 post game -- 11:00 end -- 10.5 hr block

Sunday Afternoon Football --
Channel 10 one game also simulcast ad-free on Paramount+
1:00 pregame -- 1:20 NRLW kickoff -- 2:50 pregame -- 3:15 NRL mens kickoff -- 4:55 post game -- 5:00 break into News -- 4 hr block

Sunday Night Football --
Channel 10 exclusive game -- no Paramount+ coverage -- top game of the week
5:30 pregame -- 5:45 kickoff -- 7:25pm post game -- 7:30 break into Sunday night programming -- 2 hr block
(so including afternoons 6hr total on Sundays)
(Sunday arvo/night teams: at least 1 QLD team, 1 Mel/Perth team and 2 NSW teams most weeks (can vary) -- 2-3 metro target)

Monday Night Football --

Also before anyone gets nit picky about times, its just an example of how to balance FTA and subscription coverage.

Is it really the NRL job to pitch to TV networks? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The_Wookie

Bench
I added the 2020 sponsorship revenue for the clubs. I'll have to go find the 2019 Annual Reports to find what these clubs made for 2019 and 2018. That'll take some time.

Will this help

NRL Annual Reports
Brisbane
Canberra

The parent organisation is the Queenbeyan District club, which doesnt provide a public report.
Canterbury

The district club is the parent entity of the organisation.
Cronulla

The Leagues Club is the parent entity of the organisation.
Melbourne

Valimanda is the parent company of this organisation
North Queensland

The parent entity of this organisation is the Cowboys Leagues club
Parramatta

Parra Leagues is the parent entity of this organisation.
Penrith

Penrith Rugby League Club (Panthers) is the parent entity of this organisation.
Penrith District Rugby League Club
Sydney

The parent company is the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Club Limited

Last edited:

wazdog

Juniors
This is one of the most ignorant posts on this board.

The OP said Cowboys and four other non-Sydney clubs wouldn't be in the competition if it came down to sponsorship revenue. This means the OP is dumb enough to think Sydney clubs generate strong revenue from sponsorship.

The 2021 annual reports prove he is full of shit.

Adding to it (as they aren't available publicly):

Rabbitohs: $8.9m (2021), $6.0m (2020)

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

Your arguing clubs arent viable when they financially are and then cherry picking the revenues you think that matter to make an utterly irrelevant point.

I believe youve no idea what your talking about.. for instance like claiming i lied about your posts despite multiple examples of your posts. lol.

Get back to me when its not. They arent going anywhere any time soon, and untik they do is a perfectly legal way to make money.

No its not.

Is it really dropping because of that, or due to COVID lockdowns and folks not yet fully returned.

Lol where do you think this f**king data comes from. Where did YOU pull YOUR data from. You started the ratings conversation here.

How about that has nothing to do with tv ratings.
Youre getting f**kn owned here grotd... best to stop gibbering

I'm choosing relevant data that shows how valuable each club is to the public and commercial sector. Not all clubs are equal and this data proves it. You ignore it because you don't have an argument and just want to suck up to the knuckle draggers.

A club who has strong membership, ticket sales, merchandise sales, sponsorship and corporate hospitality earns more money than one that doesn't when the annual grant from the ARLC is fixed. They can use the extra revenue to develop a competitive edge over their competitors.

Why do you think the NSW gov isn't building nine state of the art stadia for Sydney's clubs?

You're ignoring my point because you're a troll and you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

😂

See my response above to see the point.

@Maximus exposed you and @Phil McGrawhan for the lies you made about my posts here. He even went to the trouble of quoting my actual posts, all of which proved I never said what you accused me of saying. You've been exposed as a troll and now you're doubling down on it.

It's a dying business model. Get that through your skull.

No its not.

Try convincing the RLPA that it's not.

Read what I said before going off half cocked.

The annual grant is 130% of the salary cap, meaning the clubs are given about $3m to $4m to spend on football activities. They're now demanding at least $5m be reserved for each club to piss up a wall while the salary cap for the players will be $11.3m. It'll only be a matter of time until the RLPA get sick of being short-changed and demand the $5m that will go to each club be put in their pockets.

No junior competitions, no players for NRL clubs. You conveniently ignore this fact.

The trend has been going on for decades.

Falling numbers of pokie gamblers

The modest decline in losses since the mid-2000s has been driven by a falling number of people playing the pokies.

https://theconversation.com/amp/three-charts-on-australias-addiction-to-poker-machines-78353

There's already a strong political backlash against the pokie lobby that's growing stronger.

They're going after the bookies, too.

Try comparing PTV with PTV.

Last edited:
Will this help

NRL Annual Reports
Brisbane
Canberra

The parent organisation is the Queenbeyan District club, which doesnt provide a public report.
Canterbury

The district club is the parent entity of the organisation.
Cronulla

The Leagues Club is the parent entity of the organisation.
Melbourne

Valimanda is the parent company of this organisation
North Queensland

The parent entity of this organisation is the Cowboys Leagues club
Parramatta

Parra Leagues is the parent entity of this organisation.
Penrith

Penrith Rugby League Club (Panthers) is the parent entity of this organisation.
Penrith District Rugby League Club
Sydney

The parent company is the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Club Limited
Every time I try to access your site I get this:

Attachments

• A1B84287-1E23-4E50-A4B2-CD6C64710496.jpeg
    A1B84287-1E23-4E50-A4B2-CD6C64710496.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 4
Adding to it (as they aren't available publicly):

Rabbitohs: $9.6m (2021), $6.0m (2020)
It shows Sydney has about five big clubs that can survive and thrive, especially if the weaker ones go away. I don't have a problem with an NRL that has Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels, Panthers and the Dragons. The only way these clubs can grow until they're as big as the Broncos is by getting rid of the small clubs that are on their doorstep.

The_Wookie

Bench
I'm choosing relevant data that shows how valuable each club is to the public and commercial sector. Not all clubs are equal and this data proves it. You ignore it because you don't have an argument and just want to suck up to the knuckle draggers.

Im ignoring it because its asinine.

A club who has strong membership, ticket sales, merchandise sales, sponsorship and corporate hospitality earns more money than one that doesn't when the annual grant from the ARLC is fixed. They can use the extra revenue to develop a competitive edge over their competitors.

Sure. it all hbelps. Including the grant they are entitled to.

Why do you think the NSW gov isn't building nine state of the art stadia for Sydney's clubs?

I dont really care. Id prefer they didnt build any to be honest.

You're ignoring my point because you're a troll and you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

😂

ah the grammar nazi. Are we at this point already lol

See my response above to see the point.

Which as i also said above. Is stupid and not grounded in any reality. Viability isnt determined by your chosen parameters.

@Maximus exposed you and @Phil McGrawhan for the lies you made about my posts here. He even went to the trouble of quoting my actual posts, all of which proved I never said what you accused me of saying. You've been exposed as a troll and now you're doubling down on it.

No he didnt. And Just because you call someone a troll doesnt make them one. Any more than you calling a club unviable makes them one.

It's a dying business model. Get that through your skull.

Its not really though. See links below.

The annual grant is 130% of the salary cap, meaning the clubs are given about $3m to $4m to spend on football activities. They're now demanding at least $5m be reserved for each club to piss up a wall while the salary cap for the players will be $11.3m. It'll only be a matter of time until the RLPA get sick of being short-changed and demand the $5m that will go to each club be put in their pockets.

The clubs have as much right to money as the players do. Again, no clubs, no players. Players come and go. Clubs persist.

No junior competitions, no players for NRL clubs. You conveniently ignore this fact.

I didnt ignore it. Im not saying they shouldnt be funded. I said the clubs are quite literally entitled to be funded.

The trend has been going on for decades.

Falling numbers of pokie gamblers
The modest decline in losses since the mid-2000s has been driven by a falling number of people playing the pokies.​

Dude update your source material

There's already a strong political backlash against the pokie lobby that's growing stronger.

They're going after the bookies, too.

Lol the Greens? I thought you said strong political backlash.

Try comparing PTV with PTV.

Its still rated by the same damn agency. Where do you think the damn data for PTV comes from????

and no I wont cherry pick that data for you.

It shows Sydney has about five big clubs that can survive and thrive, especially if the weaker ones go away. I don't have a problem with an NRL that has Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels, Panthers and the Dragons. The only way these clubs can grow until they're as big as the Broncos is by getting rid of the small clubs that are on their doorstep.
You’re kidding.

The interstate teams are generally pretty boring and useless.

Latest posts