What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did that stop smoking? Or did they have to tax it like crazy to get a result?

I fail to see what this ban will do other then put another nail and the Dying medium of FTA TV

I agree with reforms but something meaningful

Like for example there is nothing stopping someone having accounts with every betting service.

Have it at one, With a bet limit and it hits those who need it
Making smoking socially unacceptable has had a massive impact on number of people smoking. There’s a reason companies are willing to spend squillions in advertising, the simple minded masses are easily led.
Or do you think the proliferation of gambling opportunity and marketing in nsw and the massive gambling rates and issues in nsw are pure coincidence?
the committed addicted will find their way to get a fix, but reducing the social acceptance and opportunity will stop as many getting into that state.

Wb1234

Referee
Making smoking socially unacceptable has had a massive impact on number of people smoking. There’s a reason companies are willing to spend squillions in advertising, the simple minded masses are easily led.
Or do you think the proliferation of gambling opportunity and marketing in nsw and the massive gambling rates and issues in nsw are pure coincidence?
the committed addicted will find their way to get a fix, but reducing the social acceptance and opportunity will stop as many getting into that state.
Nanny state

Perth Red

Post Whore
Govts make a lot of money from gambling

if they don’t like it so much then ethically they should remove all taxes on it

adults are free to make choices
They were dumb for allowing it and living on the proceeds since, WA had sense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So gambling is illegal now ?
eh? your nanny state flippant comment seemed to suggest you think people should be free to make their own choices. Or is it only gambling you want to have a free for all on?

is making People wear seat belts and helmets nanny state? Or banning smoking indoors? Or making people drive at a speed limit? Or not allowing people to be drunk when driving?
All things that at one time weren’t illegal.

Iamback

Coach
And every sport is sht for doing it, only one sport leader is openly promoting and touting it,in usa looking to increase it, telling the world it’s harmless fun despite the evidence to the contrary, but that’s what you’d expect putting a racing industry sleeze in charge of the game.

Again. I am sure you will see Sportsbet ads all across the AFL site.

Hell Marvel Stadium has hosted UFC and boxing that is all backed heavily by gambling.

So the country with a whole city built on gambling need an Aussie to tell them Gambling is bad?

Wb1234

Referee
eh? your nanny state flippant comment seemed to suggest you think people should be free to make their own choices. Or is it only gambling you want to have a free for all on?

is making People wear seat belts and helmets nanny state? Or banning smoking indoors? Or making people drive at a speed limit? Or not allowing people to be drunk when driving?
All things that at one time weren’t illegal.

Did that stop smoking? Or did they have to tax it like crazy to get a result?

I fail to see what this ban will do other then put another nail and the Dying medium of FTA TV

I agree with reforms but something meaningful

Like for example there is nothing stopping someone having accounts with every betting service.

Have it at one, With a bet limit and it hits those who need it
On its own, of course it didn’t just like warning signs on packets didn’t stop smoking alone. Clearly it was part of a greater strategy and the same thing is required for gambling. You could argue that gambling advertising contributes to normalising the practice to young eyes. I don’t thing they’re putting a blanket ban on it anyway, just restrict how much is put out.

Iamback

Coach
On its own, of course it didn’t just like warning signs on packets didn’t stop smoking alone. Clearly it was part of a greater strategy and the same thing is required for gambling. You could argue that gambling advertising contributes to normalising the practice to young eyes. I don’t thing they’re putting a blanket ban on it anyway, just restrict how much is put out.

So what is the greater strategy here?

Problem gamblers can still go about their business.

Casual punters will still put their multis on.

The only losers are the TV and sports that need the revenue

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

I don`t gamble and don`t have the urge, I`ve had other vices, one might say addictions even, in the past which I`ve stopped when I thought "enough."
And as you say, "The only losers are the TV and sports that need the revenue" and it irks me no end that our sport suffers because some people are too weak to know when to stop.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
This is my issue with sports betting and the NRL.

You've got young men with a high disposable income playing a sport in bed with betting agencies. The temptation must be huge. Hopefully they're not tempted to do the wrong thing.

My second issue is those betting ads are f**king horrendous.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
You've got young men with a high disposable income playing a sport in bed with betting agencies. The temptation must be huge. Hopefully they're not tempted to do the wrong thing.
Not that it is really their responsibility but I`ve heard the clubs, certainly Penrith, are getting better and better in advising players on setting themselves up for the future.
I remember reading a few years ago how Penrith had partnered with a financial advisory group to help their young players think about the future and potentially investing in property. I`m sure a lot of clubs would do this sort of thing now. It`s a no-brainer really.

Iamback

Coach
I don`t gamble and don`t have the urge, I`ve had other vices, one might say addictions even, in the past which I`ve stopped when I thought "enough."
And as you say, "The only losers are the TV and sports that need the revenue" and it irks me no end that our sport suffers because some people are too weak to know when to stop.

I have the odd gamble. For me like Super coach it can make a potential ordinary game exciting. Seeing if x player scores etc

I have mates that barely drink, don't smoke but will spend what others do on cigarettes on horses/sport on a Sat.

If they have the means to do it, good luck to them

They'd be more in that boat than are problem gamblers, So I dare say it is so they can look to do something.

The above applies to smokers as well and the numbers taking up the habit declined over the years. I think the main target is future generations by not having their young, impressionable minds pummelled with gambling ads that make it look cool and fun instead of the misery it could become.

Last edited: