What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
Problem is much of what we are doing is speculating. It’s clear though that Vlandys had a broad vision for expansion on multiple levels East West and Centre. See Brad Walter’s article on the NRL app. That’s a great article about where we are heading. The investment in participation will be interesting to watch because it’s going to be harder to get registered tackle players. Tag and touch are going to become even more prominent. Smith got that right at least back in the day.

I am not sure we need to know exact figures, Take Vegas all the revenue will go directly in the TV category.

As long as that part is growing that is all that matters, We don't need a breakdown of every little thing

Vlad59

Bench
I am not sure we need to know exact figures, Take Vegas all the revenue will go directly in the TV category.

As long as that part is growing that is all that matters, We don't need a breakdown of every little thing
What I liked about Walter’s article is that it referenced a pacific strategy including education and social development, engagement with the Poms, growing the dollar in the USA and expansion and development in Australia and NZ. It’s a huge task they’ve set themselves. Let’s see what our miserable little friend thinks of it.

Iamback

Coach
What I liked about Walter’s article is that it referenced a pacific strategy including education and social development, engagement with the Poms, growing the dollar in the USA and expansion and development in Australia and NZ. It’s a huge task they’ve set themselves. Let’s see what our miserable little friend thinks of it.

It is like they have realised that there is only so far the game can grow on our borders.

International game is where the real money is to be made, No reason we need to have PNG and Fiji play to a few thousand people.

Grow that and it flows down

final say

Juniors
Rugby league boss Peter V’landys has set his sights on expanding to England and turning the league into a major hotel operator – and handed his board a big pay rise – after the sport reported record revenue driven by broadcast and wagering fees.

Talking down rivals, including rugby union and soccer, and declaring his chief executive to be one of the best in any business, Mr V’landys on Wednesday laid out an audacious vision to the NRL’s 17 clubs at the league’s annual meeting.

The NRL reported revenue of $701 million, an increase of 18 per cent, and an operating surplus of $58.2 million, a 7 per cent fall, for the year to October 31. The revenue rise was driven by broadcast partners Foxtel and Nine Entertainment, the publisher of The Australian Financial Review, product fees from bookmakers and a $20 million uptick from sponsorship, game receipts and investment income.
Mr V’landys and his fellow seven commissioners – including high-profile investor Gary Weiss, former Queensland premier Peter Beattie and Sydney silk Alan Sullivan, KC – were handed a $400,000 pay increase, bringing the total pool to $1.2 million.

Mr V’landys declared CEO Andrew Abdo “one of the best chief executives in any industry” as he laid out his plan to grow the game, including a proposal to grant tax-free status to Australians involved in bringing Papua New Guinea into the NRL fold.
“To be making three consecutive profits ... is an extraordinary result, especially if you compare us to other sports,” Mr V’landys said. “Excluding the AFL, who are performing strongly, you’ve got rugby union [with] an $80 million loan that it’s relying on to stay solvent, rugby union clubs going broke, A-League clubs going broke.”
The NRL’s asset base has also increased, the accounts showed, up 29 per cent to $260.1 million. The league has already started buying hotels and currently owns three: The Quest Hotel Woolooware Bay in Sydney, the Mercure Sunshine Coast and Gambaro Hotel in Brisbane. It plans to expand the portfolio.

“The surplus is for reinvestment,” Mr Abdo said. “That new revenue stream will not only result in more funds available for distribution – more to clubs, more to players, more to grassroots football – it will future-proof the game against an impact on other revenue.”

Mr Abdo said buying hotels was about cost and revenue synergies. Mr V’landys said he expected the hotels to generate a 10 per cent annual return on investment.

“So far, all three [hotels] are bought in vicinity to where we play grassroots or elite rugby. The plan is to grow quite significantly using rugby league IP and our major events, which we place in these markets to drive the performance of these assets,” he said.

The other element of the growth plan is building the NRL’s offshore fan base.

The most ambitious part of the strategy – two matches in Las Vegas at the same venue the Super Bowl was played last week – will be played on March 2.

The intent is to capture more of the hundreds of thousands of Australians living in the United States to pay $US160 ($242) for the NRL’s subscription app, Watch NRL. It now has 3000 US users.

“Even if we just got a small percentage of them, that’s $25 million extra revenue,” Mr V’landys said. “We’re aiming for much higher than that, naturally.”
The matches between Manly Warringah Sea Eagles and South Sydney Rabbitohs, and the Sydney Roosters and Brisbane Broncos, will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1, the Murdoch family-controlled Fox Corp’s main cable sports television network. Mr V’landys said he wanted to be on Fox Sports 1 every week, but no deal has been signed.

“If we can get 1 per cent of the market in America ... that’s 3 million subscribers,” he said. “It’s a big strategy, it’s a big risk. It could be a game changer.”

Another element is plans to secure an NRL team in PNG, among the largest of South Pacific nations, where rugby codes are hugely popular.

Mr V’landys signalled he also wants to penetrate the English market. “We already have Super League and there’s hardly a [Watch NRL] subscription sold in England,” he said. “So we’re going to attack that market as well.”

Britain has its own national competition in rugby league, though it is generally considered the third most popular version of football after rugby union and the dominant soccer code.

Please buy Super League..

Vlad59

Bench
It is like they have realised that there is only so far the game can grow on our borders.

International game is where the real money is to be made, No reason we need to have PNG and Fiji play to a few thousand people.

Grow that and it flows down
I’ll tell you my ‘critical analysis’ tomorrow. On the piss tonight so it would be wasted now. Check this out though.

Yes, the AFL had Marvel and were able to leverage that for a 600m line of credit - which they evidently barely touched.

Also frittered away 60 odd million in cash reserves. The NRL had thrown away their reserve years before.

I doubt that at its formation, the NRL had much in terms of cash reserves. The Super League war saw so much money spent, by New Ltd and the ARL, that the ARL were signing players based on money forwarded by Optus which (iirc) was counted against future contract payments.

When the peace dealk was done and the NRL formed, (again, iirc) News Ltd got it written into the agreement of formation that they could take out a dividend annually from the NRL's revenue. They did that as a way to try and recuo some of the costs for running Super League and the money spoent on signings for 1997.

Hence it would have ojnly been with New Ltd's exit from ownership of part of the NRL, and the formation of the ARLC that the game would have been in a position to be able to start saving enough to have a cash reserve.

Reactions: siv

Canard

Immortal
It seems like Vlandy's quote about wanting people to subscribe to Watch NRL in the UK got misunderstood.

I don't see what benefits the investment would have, that aren't already there (for free).

Perth Red

Post Whore
As an investment it probably doesnt offer a great ROI buying SL, what would it even be valued at? I can see benefits to both comps with better synergy and support from each other though. Could we end up with a NRLANZ and a NRLE brand I wonder?

Wb1234

Immortal
My
As an investment it probably doesnt offer a great ROI buying SL, what would it even be valued at? I can see benefits to both comps with better synergy and support from each other though. Could we end up with a NRLANZ and a NRLE brand I wonder?
English clubs won’t allow the changes vlandys would require to invest

(2 French clubs London one hull club one Wigan club one Wakey club) new clubs in expansion madkets

Perth Red

Post Whore
My

English clubs won’t allow the changes vlandys would require to invest

(2 French clubs London one hull club one Wigan club one Wakey club) new clubs in expansion madkets
eh? pete is all about tribalism lol, he loves small clubs in small areas.

Iamback

Coach
ESL's biggest problem is relegation, Not sure they would want it changed but they need it for the game to grow

ESL's biggest problem is relegation, Not sure they would want it changed but they need it for the game to grow

IIRC, they agreed to promotion and relegation as it was the only way the then RFL could get the clubs to agree to them joining Super League, as there were a number of clubs otherwise that would have been excluded from SL in the future who would have voted against it, and quite probably scuppered the RFL signing with News Ltd.

Vlad59

Bench
Have to say I’m pretty excited about the idea of the ESL and NRL coming under one umbrella. You’d assume that would drag in French rugby league as well. The potential benefits are pretty scary in terms of sponsorship partnerships, player development and the games international profile.