What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

MugaB

Coach
I hope they do go with Bears in NZ, Id rather wait for Perth to have its own team one day that has a long term future than take now some NSW club playing games in Perth looking for ways to one day return home.

The best bid for News ltd got in I think you meant lol. Dolphins got in because they wont be Brisbane2 that's why News ltd backed them in lol. We dont need a 'THE', we needed a Brisbane2 playing Ft out of Suncorp and attracting the city. Time will tell but my tea leaves tell us we are going to be talking about the need for Brisbane3 sooner rather than later. Dumb, but thats Vlandys for you.

Lets just do a news ltd favours check shall we?

Tv deal massively in their favour - tick
Brisbane expansion with the team they wanted, not for the good of RL but for the good of the broncos - tick
Closing down of digital media - tick
Removal of Telstra live streaming rights - tick

Its good to have friends in high places!

Keep waiting then... i know plenty of people here are overjoyed by the possibility of a bears return... and plenty that are happy to see perth be the next franchise, but are worried of the failure of it..

We don't need a Brisbane 2, i certaintly didn't ask for it... the arlc said they are expanding in Seq, you all assumed it was to pack out suncorp every week... its to strengthen qld talent and give qld more content, thats what broadcasters want... all you think about is bums on seats using a turnstyle... nrl don't make money off that, that's on the club to make that profit... NRL get finals cash from turnstyles.. not the 25 regular rounds.. so take a game to the bush, use a 11k stadium, do whatever you want... just give us content to sell... your mind is constantly stuck on attendances... NRLs biggest game profits are state of origin and finals... maybe some tests, magic round, 9s...
You want to expand the talent in QLD to strengthen SoO.... not split the talent pool in red hill... content not attendances... dolphins have the sponsors, the money and heritage in the area, not to fall over like the TITs have in QLD, they aren't in business of propping up clubs no more... not ones that aren't popular anyways... i hope the titans get their shit together someday, last thing RL needs is another GC club failure

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Keep waiting then... i know plenty of people here are overjoyed by the possibility of a bears return... and plenty that are happy to see perth be the next franchise, but are worried of the failure of it..

We don't need a Brisbane 2, i certaintly didn't ask for it... the arlc said they are expanding in Seq, you all assumed it was to pack out suncorp every week... its to strengthen qld talent and give qld more content, thats what broadcasters want... all you think about is bums on seats using a turnstyle... nrl don't make money off that, that's on the club to make that profit... NRL get finals cash from turnstyles.. not the 25 regular rounds.. so take a game to the bush, use a 11k stadium, do whatever you want... just give us content to sell... your mind is constantly stuck on attendances... NRLs biggest game profits are state of origin and finals... maybe some tests, magic round, 9s...
You want to expand the talent in QLD to strengthen SoO.... not split the talent pool in red hill... content not attendances... dolphins have the sponsors, the money and heritage in the area, not to fall over like the TITs have in QLD, they aren't in business of propping up clubs no more... not ones that aren't popular anyways... i hope the titans get their shit together someday, last thing RL needs is another GC club failure

As you know I am not totally against a Bears return, just the way they are proposing which will be an unmitigated disaster medium to long term. No one wants a Sydney club playing some games in their city and pretending to belong there until it serves their purpose not to and return home.

You would be one of the few! For years people have been screaming that Suncorp is under utilised and there should be an NRL game there every week! Oh here's an idea lets put in a team that's going to play a 1/4 of games in 12k stadiums instead. So RL. Dont worry about building a customer base as we have pokies, some things never change! But thats beside the point, Firehawks matched up to Dolphins in every area except they would be a genuine threat to Broncos Brisbane monopoly. Hmmm, I wonder why we got THE (nomad) Dolphins? Like I said friends in high places and all that.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

Great post

MugaB

Coach
Great post
Thanks... and i said it without having any bias opinions on the current arlc or anyones perceived expansion wishes.... the total fact is they made expansion happen in a rugba lig market that was underutilized, kudos.. and yet the whingers come out to play... and the fact the league hasn't expanded since 2007 and viewed that as a somewhat failure since 2010ish further damaged any plans to expand further... again i'm of the opinion the the rams, reds, crushers and chargers should never have been disbanded... but since sl/arl war and further culls/mergers soon after there has been a distaste to create new franchises that fall over some mere years after, instead of strengthening the current crop and persistence like that has been shown via storm and titans since then..

P.s. love your avatar... speaks volumes

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Thanks... and i said it without having any bias opinions on the current arlc or anyones perceived expansion wishes.... the total fact is they made expansion happen in a rugba lig market that was underutilized, kudos.. and yet the whingers come out to play... and the fact the league hasn't expanded since 2007 and viewed that as a somewhat failure since 2010ish further damaged any plans to expand further... again i'm of the opinion the the rams, reds, crushers and chargers should never have been disbanded... but since sl/arl war and further culls/mergers soon after there has been a distaste to create new franchises that fall over some mere years after, instead of strengthening the current crop and persistence like that has been shown via storm and titans since then..

P.s. love your avatar... speaks volumes

People have whinged for years we need to expand, Womens and Mens comp expanding

The 9th game is needed ASAP, So having a established team in an established market allows team 18 to be possible sooner.

3-5 years now can be realistic as opposed to 10 years for a new market to get going

Perth Red

Post Whore

The 9th game is needed ASAP, So having a established team in an established market allows team 18 to be possible sooner.

3-5 years now can be realistic as opposed to 10 years for a new market to get going
Why would it take 10 years? That’s just nonsense. What would happen between now and ten years time?

Parachuting a Sydney team into a new market then having them walk away in a few years does the game no favours at all.

the fact the nrl doesn’t feel it can support a new team in a new market without resurrecting a pokie den backed sydney brand is just another sad indictment on the state of the game.

If we had more money it wouldnt be an issue at all. If we were getting $57mill more media revenue next year like our competitors instead of the $15mill we are getting then the nrl could afford to do it properly not half arsed.

f**k Vlandys and his sht deals.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And so the drums start beating………

The dark clouds gathering for the NRL that no one wants to talk about: Inside Peter V'landys' SHOCKING mistake that's given the AFL a huge advantage in the battle of the codes - and the clubs are rightfully furious, writes MIKE COLMAN​

It's the multi-million-dollar blunder that no-one wants to talk about, but it has left NRL club bosses seething.

Two years ago, NRL supremo Peter V'landys handed Foxtel one of the biggest sweetheart deals in Australian media history and now the AFL is poised to cash in.

Having just announced a massive $4.5billion broadcast deal over seven years with Seven and Foxtel starting in 2025, outgoing AFL boss Gillon McLachlan heads off into the sunset with head held high and his sport's coffers bulging.

V'landys, who hasn't been backward in taking pot shots at McLachlan and the AFL since he moved into the NRL's top job, can only put on a brave face and suck it up, but there is no way around it.

At the peak of the Covid-19 pandemic, V'landys sat down with Foxtel bosses and signed away the pay TV rights to the game for a bargain basement price believed to be $200million a year over five years.

V'landys recently told Fairfax reporter Andrew Webster that at the time of negotiations Foxtel was in dire straits and 'needed an asset on its sheet to continue its viability'.

The fact that at the same time Foxtel was negotiating a $946million, two-year extension to its joint Channel 7 deal with the AFL seems to have been overlooked.

'If we didn't come into play, there'd be no Foxtel,' V'landys said.

To which NRL club bosses could rightly have asked: 'And how is this our problem? We're a professional sporting organisation, not a charity.'

Just as they are now asking questions about the free-to-air deal with Channel Nine that V'landys signed off on last December.

Reportedly for $115million a season plus $15million a year in contra, it is only slightly more than the current deal and, when added to the Foxtel, international and radio rights, brings the total NRL broadcast deal to around $400million a season.

That is around $240million a season less than the AFL deal, or, as the NRL club bosses would say, $240million less to share among them.

V'landys is said to have told the clubs that he and his right-hand man Andrew Abdo had squeezed every cent out of Nine, and there was nothing left in the kitty.

Which they might have swallowed, if early this month Nine hadn't bid $500million a season for the AFL rights.

Given that their long-time partner Nine had in effect valued the league rights at $100 million a season less than the AFL rights, NRL club bosses have every right to feel a bit miffed.

And while none have broken ranks and gone public – yet – it is an open secret that there are plenty of grumbles going on behind the scenes.

Once considered 'The Messiah' by rugby league fans and officials, V'landys has suffered a few setbacks in recent times, most notably his messy and unseemly tussle with NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet over the hosting of the NRL grand final, continued controversy over refereeing and the bunker, and now questions over his handling of the broadcast rights.

McLachlan clearly out-did V'landys at the negotiating table, and AFL football is kicking goals against the NRL on the field as well.
Which brings us to the $4.5 billion question: Just what is the AFL going to do with all that money?

The answer won't become clear until 2025, but one thing is certain – it won't be good news for the NRL.

Steel Saints

Juniors
If PVL is forced out, then within the commission, I'd pick either Dr. Gary Weiss or Tony McGrath as chairman. Both have business experience. And maybe Greg Foran could replace PVL in the commission.

Colk

First Grade

Yeah that is in complete contrast to how business and capitalism usually operates; well, at least, successful business/capitalist ventures operate.

Iamback

Coach
They'll probably just pay it all towards a Kylie/Robbie duet at the 2023 grand final tbh.

They have funding my kids school sports program, despite her never touching an AFL ball... more of that is all good. Even if she is counted as a 'junior'

Latest posts