What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
PVL failed on rule changes, negotiating TV and digital rights, and lobbying government.

His one win is "saving the game from extinction" because of a pandemic which took out ZERO professional sports in Australia.
How did he fail on rule changes ?
He successfully got rid of the blight of wrestling which nobody else could do

and when teams were cheating he adapted the six again so it wouldn’t work

captains challenge has been excellent

try again

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you can't see the difference between a sporting team and a vacuum cleaner in terms of marketing I can't help you mate.
If you cant understand the similarity of selling products to consumers regardless I cant help you. The sports world is literally littered with comps that have successfully sold their products to new previously uninterested markets. NFL,NBA, EPL, F1 etc etc

Colk

First Grade
I think the value of money in terms of sports competing with one another is highly overstated and the only real growth I've seen from the AFL comes from stuff like interstate migration and dumb shit like the NRL killing off clubs like Norths and Balmain that were very much so built into the fibre of the areas they are from. Like, it's no coincidence that the Lower North Shore is basically Swans territory and it's got nothing to do with their impressive financial advantage over the NRL.

Personally I just doubt the power of cash in magically turning punters and I'm not really seeing anything to dissuade that from me.

What’s the alternative? We had at one time 12 clubs from Sydney. Do you think it was ever going to be viable to ever to expand outside of Sydney/NSW with 12 clubs? How would they have all survived? This excuse is often trotted out but nobody ever have an answer for how that would have worked?

In all seriousness, it was inevitable that teams in Sydney were going to go under and the only other alternative to what happened was maybe relocation

The other point I’ll make is that fumbleball got rid of South Melbourne and Fitzroy. Do we hear comparative stories about how other codes taking supporters from fumbleball because of neglected supporters.

Why is that?

Colk

First Grade
Lmao

vlandys is only the chair

he answers to a board who have all voted on the things he’s done

the nrl is nothing like Walmart

any other crazy ideas ?

or we can stick with the proven performer who has taken a nsw sport already against a Victorian sport and come out an easy winner

How do you think business works? They don’t have board of directors?

RL is a product like everything else. Therefore if you wanted to compare, being a CEO of major corporations like Walmart and Air New Zealand is a lot more impressive than running a degenerate sport like racing

t-ba

Post Whore
If you cant understand the similarity of selling products to consumers regardless I cant help you. The sports world is literally littered with comps that have successfully sold their products to new previously uninterested markets. NFL,NBA, EPL, F1 etc etc

Maybe the NRL can emulate the NBA, EPL and NFL internationally by not playing in Perth but gathering a big market share there.

Good idea.

Turns out you don't need teams in areas to get people on board. Thanks for making my point.

Colk

First Grade
How did he fail on rule changes ?
He successfully got rid of the blight of wrestling which nobody else could do

and when teams were cheating he adapted the six again so it wouldn’t work

captains challenge has been excellent

try again

Six again absolutely ripped the competition apart and he introduced it haphazardly and without consulting stakeholders. We had the most lopsided competition of modern times. So, yes it worked brilliantly.

Captain’s challenge has caused problems as well.

Colk

First Grade
Maybe the NRL can emulate the NBA, EPL and NFL internationally by not playing in Perth but gathering a big market share there.

Good idea.

Turns out you don't need teams in areas to get people on board. Thanks for making my point.

I’m trying to work out your point. Last time I checked NBA, EPL and NFL play in all of the major markets of their countries and don’t leave out half of their countries geographically.

t-ba

Post Whore
What’s the alternative? We had at one time 12 clubs from Sydney. Do you think it was ever going to be viable to ever to expand outside of Sydney/NSW with 12 clubs? How would they have all survived? This excuse is often trotted out but nobody ever have an answer for how that would have worked?

In all seriousness, it was inevitable that teams in Sydney were going to go under and the only other alternative to what happened was maybe relocation

I don't think I've spoken about alternatives.

What I'm more interested in addressing the delusion people have that somehow not removing these clubs has had a massive impact on the areas where the clubs are from.

The other point I’ll make is that fumbleball got rid of South Melbourne and Fitzroy. Do we hear comparative stories about how other codes taking supporters from fumbleball because of neglected supporters.

Why is that?

Have a look at a map of the 12 VFL clubs bases and the NSWRL clubs bases. Geelong is the only club more than 10km away from the city centre. Historically strong clubs like Williamstown and Sandhurst (Bendigo) never got the nod because the VFL wanted a centralised competition. Outside of clubs like Hawthorn, Essendon and Footscray the Melbourne clubs are all stone's throw away from one another. South Melbourne's home ground is a 30 minute walk from Richmond's for instance and St Kilda's original home ground is on the other side of a lake in Albert Park. Fitzroy as a suburb is a tiny inner city enclave completely surrounded by the Suburbs of Collingwood and Carlton and walking distance to Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond. The way the VFL grew in Melbourne meant that many of the clubs didn't necessarily have a suburban identity entrenched in a distinct part of the city but rather city wide followings.

That's a quirk of fate right there but it is what it is. Neither South nor Fitzroy had particularly strong regional identities within Melbourne and not many AFL clubs in Melbourne do.

Jamberoo

Juniors

What I'm more interested in addressing the delusion people have that somehow not removing these clubs has had a massive impact on the areas where the clubs are from.

Have a look at a map of the 12 VFL clubs bases and the NSWRL clubs bases. Geelong is the only club more than 10km away from the city centre. Historically strong clubs like Williamstown and Sandhurst (Bendigo) never got the nod because the VFL wanted a centralised competition. Outside of clubs like Hawthorn, Essendon and Footscray the Melbourne clubs are all stone's throw away from one another. South Melbourne's home ground is a 30 minute walk from Richmond's for instance and St Kilda's original home ground is on the other side of a lake in Albert Park. Fitzroy as a suburb is a tiny inner city enclave completely surrounded by the Suburbs of Collingwood and Carlton and walking distance to Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond. The way the VFL grew in Melbourne meant that many of the clubs didn't necessarily have a suburban identity entrenched in a distinct part of the city but rather city wide followings.

That's a quirk of fate right there but it is what it is. Neither South nor Fitzroy had particularly strong regional identities within Melbourne and not many AFL clubs in Melbourne do.
Correct. It’s simply that Aussie Rules is 50 years older then Rugby League. Melbourne was a new, small city when clubs were forming. There was no outer suburbs. If RL has started in 1832 it might be the same situation. So, when Fitzroy dies and Swans moved, there were not pockets of Melbourne lost to the game, the fans were spread evenly across the city.
Can it really be coincidence that AFL is only strong in the parts of Sydney that has lost RL teams?

Jamberoo

Juniors
Lmao

vlandys is only the chair

he answers to a board who have all voted on the things he’s done

the nrl is nothing like Walmart

any other crazy ideas ?

or we can stick with the proven performer who has taken a nsw sport already against a Victorian sport and come out an easy winner
Are you seriously suggesting that Sydney racing has overtaken Melbourne’s spring racing carnival? On what basis?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Good idea.

In an ideal world where you are a multi billion $ a year sport like there's then you'd be right. And to some degree its like that now. RL has small but loyal following in Perth without a club.
But for the mere mortals sports having a club in a location is a strong way to get significant exposure without spending hundreds of millions in marketing. Plus it should also be helping you generate central revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Six again absolutely ripped the competition apart and he introduced it haphazardly and without consulting stakeholders. We had the most lopsided competition of modern times. So, yes it worked brilliantly.

Captain’s challenge has caused problems as well.
not to mention the farcical sinbins and now having to pull back on match bans because they changed the rules in first place. He literally makes stuff up on the run, then has to backtrack and make more changes to address the sht storm it creates.

t-ba

Post Whore
In an ideal world where you are a multi billion $ a year sport like there's then you'd be right. And to some degree its like that now. RL has small but loyal following in Perth without a club.
But for the mere mortals sports having a club in a location is a strong way to get significant exposure without spending hundreds of millions in marketing. Plus it should also be helping you generate central revenue.

Cool.

Sounds to me like comparing the NRL to NBA, NFL and EPL in this instance is comparing apples to oranges then.

Probably should avoid that then eh?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cool.

Sounds to me like comparing the NRL to NBA, NFL and EPL in this instance is comparing apples to oranges then.

Probably should avoid that then eh?
or maybe we should look at how you can sell a sport to a new market, because after all isnt that what you are arguing is impossible?

Colk

First Grade

Don’t call it dumb then if there were literally no other alternatives. Super League only pushed everything to a head sooner. You literally didn’t have the tangible support for that number of clubs in the one location, particularly if they were meant to compete against clubs like the Broncos or the Storm.

Colk

First Grade
or maybe we should look at how you can sell a sport to a new market, because after all isnt that what you are arguing is impossible?

Don’t worry we should keep the game in NSW because all the ‘evidence’ points to that.

Steel Saints

Juniors

It certainly helped them attracting attendances with many of their teams closely bunched together. Thats why centralised stadiums works for aerial ping pong in Melbourne.

In the NRL, hypothetically, if Newtown and Norths were still in the comp, then there home ground could've been Allianz, due to close proximity of NSO and Henson Park.

Wb1234

Referee
It certainly helped them attracting attendances with many of their teams closely bunched together. Thats why centralised stadiums works for aerial ping pong in Melbourne.

In the NRL, hypothetically, if Newtown and Norths were still in the comp, then there home ground could've been Allianz, due to close proximity of NSO and Henson Park.
So based on the afl they should bring back Newtown Annandale and university