What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any new team will have a stack of imports.
Their starting pack next year will have 4 guys over 30 in it, Titans were good early on but fell away.

Redcliffe made the GF in QCup and QCup u20's. Those guys are the ones that will refresh the squad when the older guys leave, That is why new teams need the pathways in place
But you wont get the pathways until you a have team, hence Colk's chicken and egg scenario. NRL does not invest anywhere near enough in these places to have NRL club level pathways so how exactly do you think it will eventuate? It hasn't in the last 20 years.

How many successful SG Ball or Qlnd equivalent U18's sides are there that are not aligned to NRl clubs or not funded by a pokie den? None, that's how many.
NRL reduced grassroots funding by $25mil last year compared to 2019 levels. $35mill the year before. Even when at full funding level these places get an absolute pittance. Now can you see why they dont exist?

Colk

First Grade
Jesus Wept

A bunch of fancy lads went abroad and kicked a ball about dude on the back of empire.

These weren't weirdos describing "product."

They mightn’t have called it a product (although we don’t know that because we weren’t there) but considering the origin of the word is from the Latin term (producere) which means to ‘bring forth’ that is exactly what they were doing.

Again would these sports have been popular if they kept it to themselves and didn’t try to coax the locals to play them?

Colk

First Grade
But you wont get the pathways until you a have team, hence Colk's chicken and egg scenario. NRL does not invest anywhere near enough in these places to have NRL club level pathways so how exactly do you think it will eventuate? It hasn't in the last 20 years.

How many successful SG Ball or Qlnd equivalent U18's sides are there that are not aligned to NRl clubs or not funded by a pokie den? None, that's how many.
NRL reduced grassroots funding by $25mil last year compared to 2019 levels. $35mill the year before. Even when at full funding level these places get an absolute pittance. Now can you see why they dont exist?

Exactly.

If, hypothetically, the ARLC came out and said Adelaide or Perth will have a side in say three, four or five years you would easily see a massive increase in investment around league in that area. As it stands, how many people would invest in something that the ARLC doesn’t even think is worthwhile.

Colk

First Grade
Do you even watch the game? There is as much wrestling as there has been in the last 5-10 years.

Oh you mean when teams were exploiting rules that he brought in because he did so with no consultation or any reason to do so.

It's also quite funny you neglect the abundant evidence that teams are still exploiting the modified six again rules. Canberra in particular would like to have a word. Giving away six again whilst defending the goal line is still being used without fear.

Or how about teams intentionally going offside to defend scrums?

Yeah, definitely not still being exploited.

As for the captain's challenge, it's amusing that he is going to claim this when:
1. It was not unique to sport, and was a borrowed idea.
2. The work behind the scenes were already underway before PVL's commencement as chairman on 30 October 2019. In fact, the media release has Greenburg and Annesley (no sign of PVL) and reference to the fan survey conducted in August 2019.

Despite this, remember how the captain challenge could only be for calls that resulted in a structured restart of play, but that disappeared all of sudden to allow a challenge at full time (but not one for the same call 30 seconds earlier).

I note that there is no mention of:
- Going back to one referee being a failure so much that even public supporters of the change have come out and said it needs to be reverted (which is strange because you said the wrestle was gone?).
- Last minute changes to MRC and Judiciary system that meant players could consistently offender with no fear of suspension as long as it was a grade 1 offence.
- 20/40 rule and 2 point field goal - why?

The 2 point field goal is particularly strange. Bringing back a rule from 50 odd years ago?

Wb1234

Referee
Do you even watch the game? There is as much wrestling as there has been in the last 5-10 years.

Oh you mean when teams were exploiting rules that he brought in because he did so with no consultation or any reason to do so.

It's also quite funny you neglect the abundant evidence that teams are still exploiting the modified six again rules. Canberra in particular would like to have a word. Giving away six again whilst defending the goal line is still being used without fear.

Or how about teams intentionally going offside to defend scrums?

Yeah, definitely not still being exploited.

As for the captain's challenge, it's amusing that he is going to claim this when:
1. It was not unique to sport, and was a borrowed idea.
2. The work behind the scenes were already underway before PVL's commencement as chairman on 30 October 2019. In fact, the media release has Greenburg and Annesley (no sign of PVL) and reference to the fan survey conducted in August 2019.

Despite this, remember how the captain challenge could only be for calls that resulted in a structured restart of play, but that disappeared all of sudden to allow a challenge at full time (but not one for the same call 30 seconds earlier).

I note that there is no mention of:
- Going back to one referee being a failure so much that even public supporters of the change have come out and said it needs to be reverted (which is strange because you said the wrestle was gone?).
- Last minute changes to MRC and Judiciary system that meant players could consistently offender with no fear of suspension as long as it was a grade 1 offence.
- 20/40 rule and 2 point field goal - why?
Lmao

yes I do watch the sport

wrestling has all but gone that’s on vlandys. Despite clubs doing their best to cheat the new rules by blatant six agains on 1st tackle

all that waffle about the captains challenge is bs

end of the day vlandys brought it in

and judging by all the correct captains challenges it’s been a brilliant amendment

why would you want to go back to leaders like greemberg grant or Beattie who talked a lot of hot air but ultimately did basically nothing

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
The 2 point field goal is particularly strange. Bringing back a rule from 50 odd years ago?
Oh yeh forgot this one too

it’s led to some amazing finishes by guys like Adam Reynolds winning games on the last play with this

thanks for reminding me colk

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
AFL.Pokie den. Contra. Lol. Perth. AFL.

That's Perth Dred's contribution to this thread.

And speaking of lol, Colk has run with Cumbersome Toss' bullshit about Kieran Foran's dad as if it's the truth. 🤣🤣

Colk

First Grade
AFL.Pokie den. Contra. Lol. Perth. AFL.

That's Perth Dred's contribution to this thread.

And speaking of lol, Colk has run with Cumbersome Toss' bullshit about Kieran Foran's dad as if it's the truth. 🤣🤣

I was making the argument in hypotheticals - you know use of the conditional tense. It is ok if you didn’t pick that up

Colk

First Grade
I picked it up. It was in aisle 8 next to your delusion

Well obviously you didn’t because the argument was contextual. You might have to learn to read (It is in a different aisle)

I’ll go through the argument for you in case you missed it. The argument was whether somebody who had run global companies had a better CV or was more qualified to run something than somebody who had run (trying not to laugh as I post it) NSW Racing.

I never suggested that it was seriously going to happen. I just had to make a point contrary to what some pro-V’Landys people on here like to suggest which is that NSW Racing is some high watermark of administrative excellence or that it even f****** matters.

BTW If you don’t think there wouldn’t be some pressure on V’Landys for his f*** ups you are just as delusional as Cumberland Throw.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Well obviously you didn’t because the argument was contextual. You might have to learn to read (It is in a different aisle)

I’ll go through the argument for you in case you missed it. The argument was whether somebody who had run global companies had a better CV or was more qualified to run something than somebody who had run (trying not to laugh as I post it) NSW Racing.

I never suggested that it was seriously going to happen. I just had to make a point contrary to what some pro-V’Landys people on here like to suggest which is that NSW Racing is some high watermark of administrative excellence or that it even f****** matters.

BTW If you don’t think there wouldn’t be some pressure on V’Landys for his f*** ups you are just as delusional as Cumberland Throw.
I can read sunshine. And what I read is DELUSIONAL.

Fantasy posting based on an AFL troll's suggestion.

Iamback

Coach

Mounties in NSW Cup have no link to anyone
Ipswich don't act as a feeder team
I am sure the Fiji Ron Massey cup team would like to have a direct pathway to the NRL

So there are ways but overall though, Very few people will leave their family and more to the other side of the country, So they have to start feeding promising teens into a pathway setup. Need to improve the local quality

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mounties in NSW Cup have no link to anyone
Ipswich don't act as a feeder team
I am sure the Fiji Ron Massey cup team would like to have a direct pathway to the NRL

So there are ways but overall though, Very few people will leave their family and more to the other side of the country, So they have to start feeding promising teens into a pathway setup. Need to improve the local quality
Haha Mounties have a pokie empire generating $138mill ayear! Jets have a leagues club that funds them.
Like I said show me anyone with that level of development without an nrl club or LC funding it. There isnt one. But you somehow think it has to happen in areas without either of those funding sources. unless nrl funds it then how do you think it will happen?
id be interested to see where the top nrlwa clubs are compared to the Ron Massey cup teams.

by the way I don’t disagree, the stronger we can make grassroots in WA the better it will be for a future nrl club, but it takes investment, not going to happen by itself.

Jamberoo

Juniors

You can have pathways without a team. Look at NT and Tas in AFL. 30+ players despite not team. But having pathways does not mean you should have a team, it must be a big enough market to be financially viable. So it is not chicken and egg, it is somewhere in between.
That is why Perth Bears makes so much sense. Perth is a massive market and Bears still have their territory for players. Only way either option can work is together.

t-ba

Post Whore
There's also the added humour value of Norths knifing the Perth part of the venture and moving back to NSO.

It'd be even funnier if they couldn't use NSO and they played full time out of Chatswood Oval or whatever shitdump Eastwood is building in Castle Hill.

Colk

First Grade
You can have pathways without a team. Look at NT and Tas in AFL. 30+ players despite not team. But having pathways does not mean you should have a team, it must be a big enough market to be financially viable. So it is not chicken and egg, it is somewhere in between.
That is why Perth Bears makes so much sense. Perth is a massive market and Bears still have their territory for players. Only way either option can work is together.

I don’t have a problem with the Perth Bears idea so long as the Bears and the NRL actually buy into Perth (not the 4 games at North Sydney Oval but actually commit there). It should make sense for them to actually do this but you never know with RL.

Colk

First Grade
There's also the added humour value of Norths knifing the Perth part of the venture and moving back to NSO.

It'd be even funnier if they couldn't use NSO and they played full time out of Chatswood Oval or whatever shitdump Eastwood is building in Castle Hill.

Yeah that would be hilarious

Latest posts