What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
But then how can we enjoy their lamentations when the Bears come back and relocate to Willoughby Oval full time after 18 months?
It would be funny and oh so rugby league, just what the game deserves, another struggling sydney club playing in a dump in front of 12k fans. And actually quite realistic, hence why I won’t be buying a wa bears membership if it happens.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again, your stupidity and agenda gets in the way of comprehension. I didn't say anything about clubs producing all their own players.
So how many is ok in your imaginary world? 50%? 75%? Some other arbitrary amount that helps you sleep at night? And when you say “produce” from birth? Fto. 10? From 16? From 21? What do you mean.
You seem a little bit confused about how professional sports operates.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So how many is ok in your imaginary world? 50%? 75%? Some other arbitrary amount that helps you sleep at night? And when you say “produce” from birth? Fto. 10? From 16? From 21? What do you mean.
You seem a little bit confused about how professional sports operates.
Now you're being silly.

t-ba

Post Whore
I’ve seen the figures before. There wasn’t enough support for 11 sides in Sydney. You can argue against that and berate Super League as much as you like but as soon as you moved away from a NSW competition it was simply inevitable that some clubs in Sydney were going to die. You can’t have crowds of 10k or less and 10 other sides competing in a congested market whilst expecting to compete financially against one city teams like the Storm or the Broncos. That was unlucky for Norths but a few clubs were always going to cop it.

So is it 'North Sydney' or 'Sydney' that is the argument here?

It was so inevitable that it only happened when the league forcibly culled around 37% of the clubs in the competitions over a 2 year period!

That doesn't seem very inevitable to me mate, and considering how the remainder are still here and none of them have required bailouts to the extent of the Warriors, Knights or Titans. I'm not sure how you can so confidently declare that based on what's happened since.

The Warriors were kept because they mean more financially to the competition than Norths or Balmain or Wests. That’s sad but if you kicked them out you would lose international support for the game and probably concede everything to Union. You’re definitely right about the Knights and Titans - right time for them to have financial troubles.

Financially the only teams to eat shit to the extent Norths did in 1999 since are all out of Sydney clubs. That's just the simple reality of it dude.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now you're being silly.
Haha, just looked back from 6 pages ago when you joined the thread to criticise me, and guess what? Not one single post about the thread, in fact every post is about someone else’s posts. Clearly just trolling. If you’ve got something to debate about Vlandys great, but you’re just trolling everyone else on here. See you.

Colk

First Grade
No I'm not 15 groomer.

Rant? Emotional? You've just blah blah blahed for 4 paragraphs.

Keep fantasising and whinging. You're making a big difference to the world.

So are you. Wasn’t this ‘debate’ started from you whinging about Melbourne Storm winning?

By the way, did you care when we made the grand final on the back of mainly recruiting other players, particularly from England? Did you throw in your membership?

t-ba

Post Whore
It would be funny and oh so rugby league, just what the game deserves, another struggling sydney club playing in a dump in front of 12k fans. And actually quite realistic, hence why I won’t be buying a wa bears membership if it happens.

Cool.

North Sydney's probably banking on that attitude so they can relocate fulltime to Tunks Park after a season or two.

Thanks for helping them out brother!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Haha, just looked back from 6 pages ago when you joined the thread to criticise me, and guess what? Not one single post about the thread, in fact every post is about someone else’s posts. Clearly just trolling. If you’ve got something to debate about Vlandys great, but you’re just trolling everyone else on here. See you.
Well I am Peter V'landys, I probably should have mentioned that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So are you. Wasn’t this ‘debate’ started from you whinging about Melbourne Storm winning?

By the way, did you care when we made the grand final on the back of mainly recruiting other players, particularly from England? Did you throw in your membership?
Hes just trolling everyone’s posts and offering nothing. Best to ignore.

back to pistol Pete. Wonder once gf is out of way if we’ll hear more about his underperformance and the ramifications of it For the game? So far only two articles have dared mention the unmentionable.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Wtf are you on about? Comprehension mother f**ker. Come back and show me where I ever posted anything about teams having to produce all their players.

I'm out. Wasting time on stupid people makes me stupid too.

Enjoy your fantasies.

Colk

First Grade
So is it 'North Sydney' or 'Sydney' that is the argument here?

It was so inevitable that it only happened when the league forcibly culled around 37% of the clubs in the competitions over a 2 year period!

That doesn't seem very inevitable to me mate, and considering how the remainder are still here and none of them have required bailouts to the extent of the Warriors, Knights or Titans. I'm not sure how you can so confidently declare that based on what's happened since.

Financially the only teams to eat shit to the extent Norths did in 1999 since are all out of Sydney clubs. That's just the simple reality of it dude.

So are you really suggesting on the contrary that there wouldn’t have been an inevitable reduction of Sydney teams? There were reports going back from the 1980’s and early 90’s suggesting that it was going to happen and even reports recommending it to happen (Bradley report for example).

11 teams in Sydney is fine for a NSW competition but if you wanted to grow the competition outside of Sydney/NSW and include teams from Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne or Auckland (which was happening pre-Super League) then yes it was inevitable.

Just because it was done wrong (also cutting teams outside of Sydney and cutting too much) and hastily so (over two years) doesn’t suggest that it wasn’t inevitably bound to happen.

Wtf are you on about? Comprehension mother f**ker. Come back and show me where I ever posted anything about teams having to produce all their players.

I'm out. Wasting time on stupid people makes me stupid too.

Enjoy your fantasies.

I think you should look in the mirror

You had two contentions which formed the one overall view. The first post was that Melbourne were sucking off the teat of everybody else (implication being that they were being produced by other clubs or in the systems of other clubs - that they were parasites) Your other post was to look at the Grand Final and there was your answer (implication being that clubs should be producing their own players and that is somehow more ‘authentic’) If this is not what you meant, you shouldn’t have written these posts.

Essentially, it doesn’t really f****** matter where players come from. It matters who has the best recruitment and administration, that’s it. If Canberra won a premiership from a team full of Kiwis or Queenslanders, I couldn’t give a s***.

t-ba

Post Whore
So are you really suggesting on the contrary that there wouldn’t have been an inevitable reduction of Sydney teams? There were reports going back from the 1980’s and early 90’s suggesting that it was going to happen and even reports recommending it to happen (Bradley report for example).

11 teams in Sydney is fine for a NSW competition but if you wanted to grow the competition outside of Sydney/NSW and include teams from Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne or Auckland (which was happening pre-Super League) then yes it was inevitable.

Just because it was done wrong (also cutting teams outside of Sydney and cutting too much) and hastily so (over two years) doesn’t suggest that it wasn’t inevitably bound to happen.

Who knows.

I reckon calling something 'inevitable' when the evidence points to Non-Sydney clubs being the ones to have eaten shit to extent Norths did financially since consolidation was completed in 1999 indicates to me that the argument is not particularly as ironclad as you seem to be saying. Sydney clubs seems to find a way.

Colk

First Grade
Who knows.

I reckon calling something 'inevitable' when the evidence points to Non-Sydney clubs being the ones to have eaten shit to extent Norths did financially since consolidation was completed in 1999 indicates to me that the argument is not particularly as ironclad as you seem to be saying. Sydney clubs seems to find a way.

Fair enough. I just don’t see how they all could have survived but I get where you are coming from regards the tenacity of certain clubs.

The only possible way they could have all survived would be on the back of the type of TV deals and revenue that the game is getting now (probably even more to be fair)

Hypothetically, if you were to keep the 11 sides in Sydney and the 16 teams pre say 1995 plus add those four sides from 1995 plus inevitably Melbourne and Adelaide on top which they were also talking about with regards to expansion, you are talking 22 sides.

There just wasn’t the revenue base or player talent to sustain those levels - so inevitably you are left with a choice.

The biggest criticism was that we expanded too quickly. Anyway we are where we are. We are not in a bad shape if we make the right decisions from now on.

While that is a concern, I'd say these days Souths have shown how it can be done. Focus on membership and top end of town and they're probably the most successful RL club in Sydney. North Sydney could do that from Sydney with the right strategy.
Having said the above, it is important to expand and generate higher revenue. Given most of the revenue is from TV rights, next team in should be one which will generate to most incremental revenue.

Maximus

Coach
Let’s get your dream team to fix the nrl ;

kalyn pongas dad and foz dad. They both have so much business acumen

you do know there was a commissioner on the arlc from nine who had direct experience with negotiating tv deals ? News ltd poached her to foxtel. It’s not like they aren’t trying

the only commissioner who adds nothing is Pearce. Maybe look at the background of the commission

Ah yes. I'm sure Walmart US are famous for keeping CEOs who lack business acumen around for 5 years.

Latest posts