What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Storm80

Juniors
Yeh well your a storm fan you probably don’t even know most of the rules anyway lmao

it’s good you look at Penrith that’s what good rugby league looks like. They are the benchmark now instead of the team from the wwe
I’d insult you, but I appear to be dealing with someone of well … how do I say this nicely, someone of less fortunate intellect. Is that the PC way to say it?

Id say I know the rules better than you do. Grown up going for Balmain. Having seen first hand on the Gold Coast how ordinarily NSWRL and ARL treated Queensland, I always saw Super League as a positive in comparison to the Sydney centric and inbred ARL.

When living in Melbourne I loved seeing Balmain play at Princess Park and hoped they would relocate as the writing was on the wall.

Like Benny Elias, when Super League came to town, I was all about securing Balmain’s financial future and going where the money was.

Sadly, Dawn Fraser and co on the Board destroyed any chance of Balmain remaining as it’s own entity, even if it meant relocating to Melbourne or Adelaide etc.

Fast fwd to the SL and ARL merger, and Cronulla gets to stay single entity all because they went to super league, Murdoch backed them and ARL caved attempting to merge ARL clubs left right and centre. An original club like Balmain was cast aside like it was worthless, all because leadership couldn’t read the tea leaves.

Balmian became Wests and died that day, with Magpies attempting to take over almost every year I can rememberI lost my club because of shit leadership and bad decision making. Simples.

Melbourne Storm came in and I’ve supported them ever since.

So basically what I’m trying to say is, don’t be a condescending dick in future when you know sweet f**k all about my knowledge or passion for rugby league.

You can bag my opinions all you want. But don’t assume for a second you know even one iota more about the rules of the game than me. Because you don’t.

Besides Panthers, the Roosters had phenomenal defence that I envied in 18/19. Like Panthers now and Storm before them, there was plenty “WWE” in the roosters.

Unlike you, I am able to see past the NSW rhetoric and general ignorance of many NRL fans to appreciate defensive superiority in the ruck regardless of what team it is.

I even remember when the Broncos had the defensive magic. But yeah, you keep on keeping on about the Storms wrestle, you just keep showing your ignorance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d insult you, but I appear to be dealing with someone of well … how do I say this nicely, someone of less fortunate intellect. Is that the PC way to say it?

Id say I know the rules better than you do. Grown up going for Balmain. Having seen first hand on the Gold Coast how ordinarily NSWRL and ARL treated Queensland, I always saw Super League as a positive in comparison to the Sydney centric and inbred ARL.

When living in Melbourne I loved seeing Balmain play at Princess Park and hoped they would relocate as the writing was on the wall.

Like Benny Elias, when Super League came to town, I was all about securing Balmain’s financial future and going where the money was.

Sadly, Dawn Fraser and co on the Board destroyed any chance of Balmain remaining as it’s own entity, even if it meant relocating to Melbourne or Adelaide etc.

Fast fwd to the SL and ARL merger, and Cronulla gets to stay single entity all because they went to super league, Murdoch backed them and ARL caved attempting to merge ARL clubs left right and centre. An original club like Balmain was cast aside like it was worthless, all because leadership couldn’t read the tea leaves.

Balmian became Wests and died that day, with Magpies attempting to take over almost every year I can rememberI lost my club because of shit leadership and bad decision making. Simples.

Melbourne Storm came in and I’ve supported them ever since.

So basically what I’m trying to say is, don’t be a condescending dick in future when you know sweet f**k all about my knowledge or passion for rugby league.

You can bag my opinions all you want. But don’t assume for a second you know even one iota more about the rules of the game than me. Because you don’t.

Besides Panthers, the Roosters had phenomenal defence that I envied in 18/19. Like Panthers now and Storm before them, there was plenty “WWE” in the roosters.

Unlike you, I am able to see past the NSW rhetoric and general ignorance of many NRL fans to appreciate defensive superiority in the ruck regardless of what team it is.

I even remember when the Broncos had the defensive magic. But yeah, you keep on keeping on about the Storms wrestle, you just keep showing your ignorance.
Don’t waste your time on these dumbos. I’ve been a rl fan for 42 years, travelled the world watching the game, played it, been involved in amateur league and still fighting the good fight in afl heartland, yet according to the village idiots on here I’m an afl plant because I dont agree with everything. The games hq does lol.

Colk

First Grade
Our beautiful Brookie living rent free in your head it appears.

seth meyers GIF

Who is the Emperor in this metaphor? Des? Penn?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So there you have it, after telling us not to panic, that he had a verbal agreement, that he had aces up his sleeve, turns out pistol pete is once again full of Sht and there will be no upturn in the Tv deal, what a surprise! He so screwed the game on this, $402 to $643mill, it really doesnt care thinking about. Cant say I didnt tell you so 3 years ago!

The NRL will be forced to offer an enhanced product if it wants more money from pay-TV broadcast partner Foxtel, with National Rugby League chairman Peter V’landys confirming that the record-breaking AFL deal would not translate to any upward revision to the current rugby league deal.
Senior sources at News Corp and Foxtel have confirmed that no additional payments will be made to the NRL under the existing contract, which is set to run until 2027. The AFL’s new deal runs from 2025 to 2031.

Tweed Titan

Bench
So there you have it, after telling us not to panic, that he had a verbal agreement, that he had aces up his sleeve, turns out pistol pete is once again full of Sht and there will be no upturn in the Tv deal, what a surprise! He so screwed the game on this, $402 to $643mill, it really doesnt care thinking about. Cant say I didnt tell you so 3 years ago!

The NRL will be forced to offer an enhanced product if it wants more money from pay-TV broadcast partner Foxtel, with National Rugby League chairman Peter V’landys confirming that the record-breaking AFL deal would not translate to any upward revision to the current rugby league deal.
Senior sources at News Corp and Foxtel have confirmed that no additional payments will be made to the NRL under the existing contract, which is set to run until 2027. The AFL’s new deal runs from 2025 to 2031.

What a f**king moron he was negotiating a long-term rights deal in the middle of a pandemic. If you listen to most Rugba Leeg fans he's God's gift though.

More like a sleeze and snake oil salesman.

Storm80

Juniors

Yep, you and I both called it in mid 2020.

Alpha Gil fleeced Beta PVL. Absolute master class from the AFL. NRL still run like an RSL chook raffle for the benefit of inbred Sydney clubs.

A business savvie experienced professional employed as CEO nets $643m annually and $500m more to spend in foreign markets over 2025-27 to plot and invest in the undermining it’s biggest rival over the next generation.

But don’t worry NRL fans, quick look over to west Sydney - NRL has been able to consolidate the brand in its heartland by having Parra and Penrith in the GF and it resulted in abysmal ratings and no growth of the game in foreign markets at all.

Oh also, at the benefit of News Ltd, NRL selected the 2nd brisbane team in a seasside town where the peak of population growth in Brisbane isn’t going to be. NRL just thought it was smart to allow the broncos to not work hard and continue to neglect youth development of Brisbane's south and western suburbs.

But yet there is more, by not prioritising the 2nd Brisbane team south of the river, the NRL has also gifted the Brisbane Lions access to all the junior talent in south west Brisbane.

It’s laughable how far the game has fallen behind under the current leadership. Bravo for getting the game restarted in 2020. But everything since then has been an utter shambles.

Wb1234

Referee
Totally.

Nothing funnier than when an uninformed outsider is crushed to death by some rebar comically falling on them underneath the Lyon-Menzies stand!
I’ve sat in the Jane try stand

rusting concrete and a stand that will be condemned any da my for 80 bucks a ticket

Wb1234

Referee
Yep, you and I both called it in mid 2020.

Alpha Gil fleeced Beta PVL. Absolute master class from the AFL. NRL still run like an RSL chook raffle for the benefit of inbred Sydney clubs.

A business savvie experienced professional employed as CEO nets $643m annually and $500m more to spend in foreign markets over 2025-27 to plot and invest in the undermining it’s biggest rival over the next generation.

But don’t worry NRL fans, quick look over to west Sydney - NRL has been able to consolidate the brand in its heartland by having Parra and Penrith in the GF and it resulted in abysmal ratings and no growth of the game in foreign markets at all.

Oh also, at the benefit of News Ltd, NRL selected the 2nd brisbane team in a seasside town where the peak of population growth in Brisbane isn’t going to be. NRL just thought it was smart to allow the broncos to not work hard and continue to neglect youth development of Brisbane's south and western suburbs.

But yet there is more, by not prioritising the 2nd Brisbane team south of the river, the NRL has also gifted the Brisbane Lions access to all the junior talent in south west Brisbane.

It’s laughable how far the game has fallen behind under the current leadership. Bravo for getting the game restarted in 2020. But everything since then has been an utter shambles.
Foreign markets huh ?

but but isn’t afl a national competition ?

when most normal Australians use the word foreign we mean another country like say nz

not another state in Australia

lmao

Mr V’landys is also keenly aware of the need to make a deal that provides value to the league and its media partners.

“Our mantra is everyone has to be viable, and we want to make the broadcasters viable,” he said.

“So the one thing that nobody’s understanding here is the AFL is saying all these amounts, but what if something happens, and they don’t get them? Like if the businesses become unviable?

“So what our mantra is, yes, we want to maximise our rights fees and get more than what the AFL have got. But at the same time, we want to make sure that the business model is sustainable. Otherwise, all sports will suffer.”

Tweed Titan

Bench
Mr V’landys is also keenly aware of the need to make a deal that provides value to the league and its media partners.

“Our mantra is everyone has to be viable, and we want to make the broadcasters viable,” he said.

“So the one thing that nobody’s understanding here is the AFL is saying all these amounts, but what if something happens, and they don’t get them? Like if the businesses become unviable?

“So what our mantra is, yes, we want to maximise our rights fees and get more than what the AFL have got. But at the same time, we want to make sure that the business model is sustainable. Otherwise, all sports will suffer.”
"We have to undersell ourselves for the greater good".

How delusional can he be to think people will fall for his bullshit for much longer?

Colk

First Grade
Foreign markets huh ?

but but isn’t afl a national competition ?

when most normal Australians use the word foreign we mean another country like say nz

not another state in Australia

lmao

Most Australians might use the word ‘foreign’ in such a narrow sense but they would be wrong.

You can use the word to describe anything that is strange or unfamiliar to its current surroundings. Live Rugby League games wouldn’t be familiar to those living in say Christchurch, Adelaide or Perth at the moment

reanimate

Bench

Lol, and here is V’landys clearly not giving a shit about other businesses’ business models:
ARL Commissioner Peter V'landys has slammed Betfair's "model based on fallacy and spin" after the betting exchange raised the commission on NRL bets from 2.5 per cent to 6 per cent.
Betfair, a betting exchange which allows punters to bet against one another before taking a set commission from the profit of the wager, announced the change to their rugby league bets on Friday after the NRL shifted to a turnover product fee model.

The change will mean a considerable increase in the fees paid by Betfair to the NRL, a bill which has been passed on to punters.

The 6 per cent commission makes NRL the most expensive team sport in the world to bet on via Betfair.

That is of little concern to V'landys, who, in his role as chief executive of Racing NSW has made the state the most expensive racing product to bet on via Betfair, charging a 10 per cent commission.
He told the Herald Betfair were lucky to have ever operated with a 2.5 per cent commission on NRL bets in the first place.

"They will use their same old tricks and try and use their same old model based on fallacy and spin to try and tell you otherwise but the reality is they are a wagering service provider," V'landys said. "What is important to note here - and that's the beauty of this model - is that we treat every wagering service provider the exact same."

Betfair did not provide any official comment when contacted by the Herald on Friday.

"Betfair lobbied the NRL to reconsider the change but were unsuccessful," the company said in a statement announcing the change. "We will continue to work hard so that we can provide the best possible value to our customers."

The AFL rate has stuck solid with a 2.5 per cent commission rate, with almost all other sports carrying a 5 per cent clip.
"If other sports don't understand wagering and don't want to charge the wagering service providers the way they should that's up to them," V'landys said. "[Betfair] shouldn't be given any favourable treatment just because they have a different business model to everybody else.

"Their model is all for the customer and gives very little back to the person that produces the product.

"They've been lucky to get away with it for this long."

ARLC chair Peter Beattie also dismissed criticism from punters regarding the change.

"I can't imagine there will be too many people out there willing to criticise us trying to get the best possible result for the game," Beattie told the Herald. "The NRL, within reason, is always going to try and raise funds wherever we can which we can put back into the game - particularly at grassroots level."
He slugged Betfair with a turnover tax, that makes no sense for their business model. Betfair takes a commission from winning bets made on an exchange, people bet against each other on the exchange, somewhat like the stock market and the losers pay no commission. The way V’landys has slugged Betfair means that Betfair has to pay fees to the NRL based on turnover on the exchange. As a result, they’ve had to significantly increase the commission rate on NRL bets to cover the extra costs they’ve incurred as a result of V’landys’ changes.

He didn’t care about Betfair’s future viability, nor should he care about the broadcasters’ viability. That’s for them to worry about, he should be focused on maximising the revenue obtained from them, as the AFL was.

Colk

First Grade
Lol, and here is V’landys clearly not giving a shit about other businesses’ business models:

He slugged Betfair with a turnover tax, that makes no sense for their business model. Betfair takes a commission from winning bets made on an exchange, people bet against each other on the exchange, somewhat like the stock market and the losers pay no commission. The way V’landys has slugged Betfair means that Betfair has to pay fees to the NRL based on turnover on the exchange. As a result, they’ve had to significantly increase the commission rate on NRL bets to cover the extra costs they’ve incurred as a result of V’landys’ changes.

He didn’t care about Betfair’s future viability, nor should he care about the broadcasters’ viability. That’s for them to worry about, he should be focused on maximising the revenue obtained from them, as the AFL was.

Of course. He is making up excuses for being played by the broadcasters.