What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

MugaB

Coach
The bickering in this thread sums up the division caused by V'landys' bullish rhetoric. V'landys is admired by passionate rugby league fans from Sydney who hate ARF and Melbourne because he uses his position to belittle the the game and city. When Greenberg asked Cronulla to explain why they should be kept in the competition V'landys came to their defence, which gave NSWRL fans the belief they have a staunch ally who will keep the status quo in Sydney.

Expansionists are up in arms because V'landys' rhetoric is alienating potential supporters in non-traditional cities. The comment about "we won't be wasting any money on rusted on AFL states" was very uncouth for a person in his position. His response to the WA GOV officials who attended Magic Round in Brisbane to enquire about expanding into Perth was "talk to the Bears", which shows he just doesn't have the vision, business acumen or diplomacy needed to expand our game beyond its borders and attract support from the high end of town. This weakness of his was exploited by Foxtel and Ch9 during the broadcast negotiations. He's managed to alienate the NSW GOV and NSWRL, too.

What we have on this thread is Sydney RL fans who yearn for a return to the NSWRL defending everything V'landys does because they see him as one of them. These are the same people who hate ARF and some of them dedicate most of their time on The Fight Club forum ridiculing it. They hate ARF more than they like RL. I'd argue V'landys hates ARF and Melbourne more than he likes RL.
Not correct, its your assumptions that every poster here is either pro expansionist or pro nswrl, i don't think that most posters here are either or, but most are both... you're the only one that seeks rationalization over expansion

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I’m not sure it works in straight splits. Most big $ advertising is for national products and I’m guessing the more markets you reach the more they are willing to pay. But just guessing as don’t know how tv advertising works tbh.

im imagining its more valuable to sell advertising to national companies that reaches the 5 metro markets than for space in a program that only really reaches three.

Do we know that Adelaide market is in comparison to Regional NSW and QLD?

It’ll come down to the extra dollars on offer

if players want to keep getting higher wages then they will have to make some sacrifices I guess

but sure Sunday 6 pm is another good time slot as well

id say mnf is worth more though

I’d love to see mnf back on fta

I can still remember when your club tried it and with some giveaway tickets the sfs was packed for games on channel ten

Extra money does not heal snapped tendons/cartlige, pulled muscles, broken bones, dislocated joints, nor concussions. When the NFL wanted to add a 17th game to the schedule, the players only agreed when the NFL agreed to cut down the pre-seasdon from 4 games to 2. Mate the players are not completely stupid.

I mean if someone offered you an extra $50,000 per annum but it would leave you with a broken bone or two, a concussion, and a dislocated knee cap, would you think it worth it? I'd be surprised if you said "yes".

Last edited:
God knows what shape many of today's players will be in when they're 60. Joint injuries don't age well. The only way players can reduce the amount of injuries they get is by playing and training less often. There needs to be a longer rest window between end of season and pre-season training.

Canard

Immortal
That is true, but the metro networks are confined to Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. To maximise ad revenue we need to generate an audience in these five markets.

I think that's to simplistic.

The 3 biggest metro markets for all corporates are Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, and we are the biggest game in town in 2 of them.

Perth is a boom bust economy, that has good potential, whereas Adelaide is traditionally a relatively sluggish economy. However, AFL is the biggest game in town for these areas and will always draw large corporate and TV ratings.

Getting a niche foothold, like the Storm have done, is a great goal for these markets, but we shouldn't expect them to match the AFL TV monies for some time (if ever)

All this is a roundabout way to say we have likely undersold or TV rights even before considering expansion, and that said expansion isn't going to lead to $200M overnight.

Wb1234

Referee
Extra money does not heal snapped tendons/cartlige, pulled muscles, broken bones, dislocated joints, nor concussions. When the NFL wanted to add a 17th game to the schedule, the players only agreed when the NFL agreed to cut down the pre-seasdon from 4 games to 2. Mate the players are not completely stupid.

I mean if someone offered you an extra $50,000 per annum but it would leave you with a broken bone or two, a concussion, and a dislocated knee cap, would you think it worth it? I'd be surprised if you said "yes".
Where’s any actual evidence that more injuries will result

most of the serious injuries are early in the season when their bodies aren’t game hardened

I remember when players were making 80k and working full time jobs and training at night

now they play Nintendo for half the week and make out the workload is heavy

being a full time footballer is a dream career

there’s are hundreds and hundreds of players turned away from the nrl who would be happy to step into their shoes

The 3 biggest metro markets for all corporates are Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, and we are the biggest game in town in 2 of them.

Perth is a boom bust economy, that has good potential, whereas Adelaide is traditionally a relatively sluggish economy. However, AFL is the biggest game in town for these areas and will always draw large corporate and TV ratings.

Getting a niche foothold, like the Storm have done, is a great goal for these markets, but we shouldn't expect them to match the AFL TV monies for some time (if ever)

All this is a roundabout way to say we have likely undersold or TV rights even before considering expansion, and that said expansion isn't going to lead to $200M overnight.
The Sydney Swans are the largest sporting club in Sydney by a country mile. In 2021 they generated $15m from sponsorship and corporate hospitality. That's despite fumbleball being a niche sport in Sydney, albeit one that's growing its footprint steadily by investing in junior development.

Despite all the bullish grandstanding by RL fans about our sport being top dog in Sydney, it hasn't stopped the Swans from winning over the big end of town. It's one of the reasons I shake my head at the comments from Sydney fans who want to send the Roosters to Adelaide. The Roosters are in a better position than any other Sydney-based NRL club to win over the big end of town. AwFuL would love to see the Roosters shipped off to Adelaide so they can take over the North Shore and eastern suburbs.

I'd prefer to see the Sea Eagles, Sharks and Dragons relocate out of Sydney so the Roosters can take over everything from the Central Coast down to Wollongong. A Roosters club pulling crowds like the Broncos would do wonders for our game.

For sponsorship and corporate hospitality the Roosters drew $8.7m in 2019 and just under $6.9m in 2020. They don't have their 2021 annual report on their website. So some way to go until they match the Swans. Hopefully their new stadium leads to them getting up around $13m.

Last edited:
Has V'landys elaborated on his reason for wanting three grades played at the same ground on match day?

We know he's running Racing NSW.

Racing NSW benefits from gambling.

I wouldn't be surprised if the goal is to entice dedicated drunken punters to turn up and bet on colts, reserves and NRL to produce triple the amount of revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nor do I but it’s clear having 5 metro reach is considered more valuable than 3 metro reach plus regionals. If you take out the value of origin and radio rights from the ch9 deal they will pay around half what ch7 will pay for afl regular comp. yes they have longer games, more ads, a 4th game etc but is that worth double? Or it may just be we are terrible at selling our rights. Nine pay around $30mil a tv slot game, ch7 around $45mill a game.

Wb1234

Referee
I think under the current leadership they can hit 1 billion in revenue.

Wonder what the game would be worth with that kind of revenue.

nrl clubs too would be worth 50 to 80 million each (plus whatever assets they own)

Canard

Immortal
Nor do I but it’s clear having 5 metro reach is considered more valuable than 3 metro reach plus regionals. If you take out the value of origin and radio rights from the ch9 deal they will pay around half what ch7 will pay for afl regular comp. yes they have longer games, more ads, a 4th game etc but is that worth double? Or it may just be we are terrible at selling our rights. Nine pay around $30mil a tv slot game, ch7 around $45mill a game.

Is it though? AFL getting more $200M more isn't solely because of Adelaide and Perth, it's part of it though.

It's also clear that RL will never be as big as AFL in those markets, but hopefully in 40 or so years we an have a decent niche like the Swans in Sydney, for example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it though? AFL getting more $200M more isn't solely because of Adelaide and Perth, it's part of it though.

It's also clear that RL will never be as big as AFL in those markets, but hopefully in 40 or so years we an have a decent niche like the Swans in Sydney, for example.
Yep, never said it was the only reason. But it is a key reason and one we can and should have a strategy to fix. Having said that its taken 25 years to semi fix the Brisbane no brainer so I suppose we shouldn't hold our breath! Hopefully it gets started with Perth by time next deal roles around but lord knows how long it will take, if ever, before we see Adelaide back in the NRL. There's certainly no evidence that the NRL has had any kind of strategy over the last 15 years for either State beyond sporadic games when the Govt is willing to throw them some cash.

Where’s any actual evidence that more injuries will result

most of the serious injuries are early in the season when their bodies aren’t game hardened

I remember when players were making 80k and working full time jobs and training at night

now they play Nintendo for half the week and make out the workload is heavy

being a full time footballer is a dream career

there’s are hundreds and hundreds of players turned away from the nrl who would be happy to step into their shoes

Are you seriously sayiung playing more games does not result in more injuries? Remind me to not study sports science where you did, as yours lacks all basic logic if nothing else.

I seriously suspect you have never set foot on a rugby league field as a player nor official. I have so I have some idea from a very practical experience, even if it was in junior league football, what I'm talking about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you seriously sayiung playing more games does not result in more injuries? Remind me to not study sports science where you did, as yours lacks all basic logic if nothing else.

I seriously suspect you have never set foot on a rugby league field as a player nor official. I have so I have some idea from a very practical experience, even if it was in junior league football, what I'm talking about.
with dolphins in next year there will be 204 regular season games on tv.
Going to 20 clubs and having a 19 game + 2 magic weekend regular season gives TV 210 games. Add in mid season tests and TV could get 219 mens games inc 2 new time slots if they are all stand alone (not necessary imo), whilst clubs reduce their regular season games by 5 each.
24 week regular season (cuts 3 weeks off current regular season time of 27 weeks)
Seems a good long term strategy (within 10-15years) to me.

The key to its success will be to bring in enough money to compensate clubs for losing 2/3 home games a season. Most of them only make $200-300k profit a game so shouldn't be hard to increase tv and event revenue by the $15-20mill needed to cover the clubs losses. Who knows they may even actually be able to sell more tickets to 9 or 10 game seasons than the current 12?

This gives extra 3 weeks clear for end of season events or longer pre seasons for Nines or similar.

Last edited:
with dolphins in next year there will be 408 regular season games on tv.
Going to 20 clubs and having a 19 game + 2 magic weekend regular season gives TV 420 games. Add in mid season tests and TV could get 429 mens games inc 2 new time slots if they are all stand alone (not necessary imo), whilst clubs reduce their regular season games by 5 each.
24 week regular season (cuts 3 weeks off current regular season time of 27 weeks)
Seems a good long term strategy (within 10-15years) to me.

The key to its success will be to bring in enough money to compensate clubs for losing 2/3 home games a season. Most of them only make $200-300k profit a game so shouldn't be hard to increase tv and event revenue by the $15-20mill needed to cover the clubs losses. Who knows they may even actually be able to sell more tickets to 9 or 10 game seasons than the current 12?

This gives extra 3 weeks clear for end of season events or longer pre seasons for Nines or similar.

There will be 204 regular season NRL games next year.

Wb1234

Referee

Yeh sure having five days turnaround maybe once or twice a season will lead to higher incidence of injury because well ????

since they did play mnf for years and diid have five day turnarounds you will have some actual evidence

Why is a five day turnaround some magical borderline when crossed the risk of injury skyrockets ?

and since the fumblers just agreed to play another round of afl guess by your argument the ur sports scientists don’t know what they are talking about ?