What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Storm80

Juniors
Are you for real
IIRC when the suns started they had about 10k members .
At the same time the Lions membership dropped by about that amount..
I am for real.

Guess why the membership dropped?

Cause the people that used to travel from the Gold Coast (the original location of the Bears) every second week to get their fix of AFL decided to follow the new Gold Coast team.

You know there’s a huge population of ex Victorians on the GC don’t you? And they used to travel at least 140km return to watch games at the Gabba.

So why would people from the Gold Coast all of a sudden stop supporting the Lions?

1. It’s the local team called Gold Coast. Surprisingly people from the Gold Coast identify with Gold Coast and will support the local team more than one from Brisbane. Who would ever thunk it huh? What a crazy world we live in. Location actually matters.

2. They don’t have to travel 140km plus up and down the M1 every second week to watch a game of AFL.

Again, you seriously think the drop in Lions membership was people north of Beenleigh jumping ship to the Gold Coast Suns you got rocks in ya head.

You Sydney folk really have no clue about SE Queensland do you? Or the rivalries between each region built in state and private school systems even private and local sporting club levels do you?

You Sydney siders literally have no idea kids from Gold Coast, Logan, Ipswich and any other Brisbane suburb grow up with full on rivalries do you?

This is hilarious to me. People from Sydney literally think the drop in Lions membership was because people in Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan jumped ship to the Suns hahaha

This is how clueless you muppets from Sydney really are. f**k me dead classic. Keep it coming.

You know why south’s and Easts had automatically shared a rivalry? Cause they shared a geographic border.

You know who shares a geographical border? Logan and the Gold Coast. They don’t like each other. Never have. I guess you Sydney types know this though cause you know everything don’t ya?

So by going with the Firehawks, you’d have had a Brisbane team that automatically shared a border with the Gold Coast. The rivalry is automatic. Kids already play each other in youth sports and at a regional level. The rivalry is built.

Then guess where the Firehawks northern boundary would have been shared with - The Broncos. Again, an automatic rivalry.

Guess why Gold Coast kids don’t really have an automatic rivalry with Morton bay region kids?? Cause it’s about 120km away ffs. Guess why there’s no natural rivalry with the Sunshine Coast?? Cause it’s 190km away hahaha

You Sydney types really have no f**king idea what your talking about when it comes to SE Queensland do you?? Haha classic. Not surprising you just parrot shit from NRL media releases like moron Hillsong types quoting the bible.

Absolute dead shits the lot of ya

Storm80

Juniors
Hey Sydney lovers, I’ve seen the light - I to am sick and tired of all this AwFL and fumbleball comparisons with it comes to expansion.

Let’s look at A-League. When they had one club in Sydney and wanted to expand. Remember how the A-League decided location doesn’t matter, put the 2nd team in Manly/Northern Beaches and gave them the name “the Wanderers”…

Yeah, that’s right neither do I…

The gave them the name West Sydney Wanderers and put them in Parramatta and allowed them to split the city in two, create a rivalry based on a geographic border and market to 2.2m plus people (where the max growth is) in western Sydney.

What a novel approach. Imagine if NRL took that approach to Brisbane. You’d certainly not have Redcliffe in the NRL if the NRL mimicked the A-League approach

Hey Sydney lovers, I’ve seen the light - I to am sick and tired of all this AwFL and fumbleball comparisons with it comes to expansion.

Let’s look at A-League. When they had one club in Sydney and wanted to expand. Remember how the A-League decided location doesn’t matter, put the 2nd team in Manly/Northern Beaches and gave them the name “the Wanderers”…

Yeah, that’s right neither do I…

The gave them the name West Sydney Wanderers and put them in Parramatta and allowed them to split the city in two, create a rivalry based on a geographic border and market to 2.2m plus people (where the max growth is) in western Sydney.

What a novel approach. Imagine if NRL took that approach to Brisbane. You’d certainly not have Redcliffe in the NRL if the NRL mimicked the A-League approach
Thank God the FFA had the foresight to put the team at Parramatta Stadium. It helped us get that stadium rebuilt.

Storm80

Juniors
Thank God the FFA had the foresight to put the team at Parramatta Stadium. It helped us get that stadium rebuilt.
And imagine the laughter and outrage if the FFA:

- based the 2nd team in manly/northern beaches
- called the 2nd team “the wanderers”
- claimed location doesn’t matter
- stated it will create neighbour v neighbour rivalries across the city cause people who don’t like Sydney FC will support “the wanderers” based in manly
- didn’t want to cannabilise Sydney FC’s sponsorship base

The FFA would have been laughed out of existence

I am for real.

Guess why the membership dropped?

Cause the people that used to travel from the Gold Coast (the original location of the Bears) every second week to get their fix of AFL decided to follow the new Gold Coast team.

You know there’s a huge population of ex Victorians on the GC don’t you? And they used to travel at least 140km return to watch games at the Gabba.

So why would people from the Gold Coast all of a sudden stop supporting the Lions?

1. It’s the local team called Gold Coast. Surprisingly people from the Gold Coast identify with Gold Coast and will support the local team more than one from Brisbane. Who would ever thunk it huh? What a crazy world we live in. Location actually matters.

2. They don’t have to travel 140km plus up and down the M1 every second week to watch a game of AFL.

Again, you seriously think the drop in Lions membership was people north of Beenleigh jumping ship to the Gold Coast Suns you got rocks in ya head.

You Sydney folk really have no clue about SE Queensland do you? Or the rivalries between each region built in state and private school systems even private and local sporting club levels do you?

You Sydney siders literally have no idea kids from Gold Coast, Logan, Ipswich and any other Brisbane suburb grow up with full on rivalries do you?

This is hilarious to me. People from Sydney literally think the drop in Lions membership was because people in Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan jumped ship to the Suns hahaha

This is how clueless you muppets from Sydney really are. f**k me dead classic. Keep it coming.

You know why south’s and Easts had automatically shared a rivalry? Cause they shared a geographic border.

You know who shares a geographical border? Logan and the Gold Coast. They don’t like each other. Never have. I guess you Sydney types know this though cause you know everything don’t ya?

So by going with the Firehawks, you’d have had a Brisbane team that automatically shared a border with the Gold Coast. The rivalry is automatic. Kids already play each other in youth sports and at a regional level. The rivalry is built.

Then guess where the Firehawks northern boundary would have been shared with - The Broncos. Again, an automatic rivalry.

Guess why Gold Coast kids don’t really have an automatic rivalry with Morton bay region kids?? Cause it’s about 120km away ffs. Guess why there’s no natural rivalry with the Sunshine Coast?? Cause it’s 190km away hahaha

You Sydney types really have no f**king idea what your talking about when it comes to SE Queensland do you?? Haha classic. Not surprising you just parrot shit from NRL media releases like moron Hillsong types quoting the bible.

Absolute dead shits the lot of ya
Lol I’m not a Sydneysider .
doh

apprently anyone who doesn’t go along with the stupidity of you & the other 2 stooges is some Sydney know nothing .

Storm80

Juniors
I'm amazed that someone lecturing people on South East Queensland has repeatedly spelt Moreton Bay incorrectly.

You think that would be something a local would not get wrong.
Haha raised on the Gold Coast. So forgive me if I couldn’t give less of a shit about “Moreton Bay” regardless of how you spell it.

Proves my point about rivalry though doesn’t it? Someone raised in Robina just doesn’t rate Moreton Bay enough to even bother to take the time to figure out how to spell it.

But thanks for correcting my spelling. I now know the shit hole that is Moreton Bay, is spelt Moreton not Morton. I ain’t the only Gold Coast or Brisbane person that thinks exactly the same thing about Moreton Bay either by the way.

- stated it will create neighbour v neighbour rivalries across the city cause people who don’t like Sydney FC will support “the wanderers” based in manly

The NSWRL fans on here, and I include The_Wookie in that category, are biased and have an agenda. It's all about keeping the balance of power in favour of Sydney. The last thing NSWRL fans want is another club from Brisbane that's as powerful as the Broncos.

Canard

Immortal
I know of a competition that added an existing well supported state club and made them change their name.

That club's geographical location is a tiny suburb of this city also.

They also added another new club in a major metro city in a seaside town with less then 30k residents.

And this competition is 10 times bigger and more well supported then the A League.

The_Wookie

Bench
The NSWRL fans on here, and I include The_Wookie in that category, are biased and have an agenda. It's all about keeping the balance of power in favour of Sydney. The last thing NSWRL fans want is another club from Brisbane that's as powerful as the Broncos.

Lol. Born in Queensland, grew up in Victoria, live in South Australia. Support the Broncos in the NRL and QLD in Origin, and Im apparently a NSWRL fan because I dont support the elimination of teams in Sydney. Get a grip dude.

Looks like expansion was on the ARLC's agenda while Peter Beattie was still its chairman in 2019.

Maybe we shouldn't praise V'landys for the Dolphins' inclusion?

What will it take for a Sydney club to consider relocation?

Author
Brad Walter
NRL Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 25 Mar 2019, 06:46 PM

If a team from England is brave enough to relocate to Canada, what will it take for a Sydney club to secure their future by moving to Brisbane or Perth?

As debate about expansion of the NRL intensified last week, the Rugby Football League revealed they were considering "an application to relocate Hemel Stags" - a London-based League One club - to Ottawa "and another new application to launch a club in New York".

Such a move would be comparable to the Newtown Jets or North Sydney Bears relocating to New Zealand.

With Toronto Wolfpack in the third season of their quest for Super League promotion, the RFL could soon have three North American teams if New York are admitted and Wolfpack founder Eric Perez gains approval for the Stags to become Canada's second professional club.

"Both applications are judged to have the potential to help deliver the RFL's strategic vision," the RFL announced in a statement after a board meeting decided to invite the bids to meet with existing clubs.

The NRL is currently formulating its strategic vision for the next generation and the ARLC has given chief executive Todd Greenberg until the end of the year to decide what the Telstra Premiership should look like in the future.

In an extensive interview with Nine's 100% Footy, Greenberg put the expansion issue firmly on the agenda but raised more questions than he could provide answers as the NRL prepares for the most detailed analysis of the game's future footprint ever undertaken.

It appears certain there will be significant changes and the game will expand into new territory for the first time in 25 years after the current broadcast deal expires in 2022 but before that occurs the NRL must resolve the following key issues:

How many teams can be sustained;
What are the best locations for the NRL to have teams, and;
Which clubs will survive if the competition remains at 16 teams.
A second Brisbane team is understood to be the preferred option for broadcasters, while last year's NRL.com player poll found Perth was the favoured location among players for the next club, with 27 per cent of the 117 polled across all 16 clubs voting for the WA capital.

However, there are concerns about the depth of playing talent if the NRL was to expand the competition to 18 teams and much of the debate so far has focused on the relocation of Sydney clubs.

Former ARL CEO John Quayle told NRL.com last year that the game had been encouraging Sydney clubs to consider relocating to Melbourne as the next step in expansion after the introduction of the Auckland Warriors, North Queensland Cowboys, South Queensland Crushers and Western Reds in 1995.

However, no club had been prepared to make the move and the Super League war put an end to the discussions as the ARL and News Corp needed teams for their rival competitions.

Super League model

The initial Super League concept involved the 20 clubs in the 1995 premiership becoming shareholders in 12 privately-owned teams, with four to be based in Sydney, two in Queensland and one each in Newcastle, Canberra, Auckland, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

The four Sydney teams were:

Sydney West - Canterbury, Parramatta, Penrith and Wests;
Sydney North - Manly and North Sydney;
Sydney South - St George and Cronulla, and;
Sydney East – Balmain, South Sydney and Sydney Roosters
After the Super League war, a Selection Criteria was introduced to reduce the number of teams in the newly formed NRL from 22 to 14 by 2000 – a compromise between the 12 team competition that News Corp wanted and the 16 favoured by the ARL .

The Broncos, Knights and Warriors were guaranteed places in the 14-team competition provided they met a Qualifying Criteria.

Clubs who merged were also guaranteed a spot but it was specified that there should be no less than six Sydney teams – a move that discouraged three-way mergers such as Cronulla joining with St George and Illawarra.

Admission criteria

All clubs had to meet a Basic Criteria based on playing facilities, administration, solvency and development.

To determine which teams survived, clubs were ranked for the 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999 seasons on:

• Home crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Knights, 3. Eels);
  • Away crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Eels. 3. Roosters);
  • Competition points (1. Storm, 2. Broncos, 3. Bulldogs);
  • Gate receipts (1. Broncos, 2. Storm, 3. Knights);
  • Profitability (1. Bulldogs, 2. Panthers, 3. Sharks), and;
  • Sponsorship (1. Knights, 2. Broncos, 3. Cowboys).

Clubs were also required to have a minimum revenue of $8 million per season, including gate receipts of $1.25m and net sponsorship of $2.5m.

While the three Sydney clubs who had aligned with Super League – Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla – were considered the most profitable, every non-Sydney club produced larger gate receipts than their Sydney rivals.

The final rankings were:

1 Brisbane, 2 Newcastle, 3 Melbourne, 4 Canterbury, 5 Cronulla, 6 Sydney Roosters, 7 Parramatta, 8 North Queensland, 9 Warriors, 10 Canberra, 11 Manly, 12 Penrith, 13 Balmain, 14 North Sydney 15 Western Suburbs, 16 South Sydney.

St George Illawarra were not included as they had merged at the end of the 1998 season – meaning Norths, Wests and Souths were excluded from the 2000 premiership.

Mergers and financial incentives

With the NRL offering $8 million to encourage mergers, Balmain and Wests also formed a joint venture, as did Manly and Norths (Northern Eagles), while the Rabbitohs took legal action which led to them being restored to the competition in 2002.

However, the outcome of an appeal against Souths' win in court gives the NRL the right to exclude clubs in the future and the game may need to go through a similar process if it is decided to keep the number of teams at 16 but revamp the competition from 2023.

A determining factor could be whether the existing clubs are prepared to split the $208 million they receive in funding from the NRL between 18 teams – a reduction from $13 million each to $11.5 million each.

While there is resistance in Perth and Brisbane to a relocated team and Sydney clubs are reluctant to move, AFL figures indicate it may be more viable than starting a new team as a Tasmanian consortium was recently advised they would require an initial commitment of $40 million to be considered for entry in 2026.

The other issue is playing talent for 18 teams and one way to gain an indication of the depth available is to look at the players who were not named among their club's top 17 for last weekend's matches.

Possible team: Corey Allan (Rabbitohs); Bevan French (Eels), Gerard Beale (Warriors), Zac Lomax (Dragons), George Jennings (Eels); Josh Reynolds (Tigers), Jake Clifford (Cowboys); Tim Grant (Panthers), Reece Robson (Dragons), Leilani Latu (Titans), Rhyse Martin (Bulldogs), Scott Sorensen (Sharks), Nat Butcher (Roosters). Kyle Flanagan (Sharks), Jamie Buhrer (Knights), Lloyd Perrett (Sea Eagles), Chris McQueen (Tigers).

The views in this article do not necessarily express the opinions of the NRL, ARLC, NRL clubs or state associations.

The_Wookie

Bench

Does Western United ring a bell

Latest posts