What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who gives a f**k about how much another code is paying for their ripoff product?

A lot of NRL fans around here spend a lot of time posting about a sport they supposedly don't like.
Are you seriously asking why fans are interested in how much revenue the game generates compared to its rivals?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is the detail I mentioned.

When NRL clubs sell home games that get a flat rate. The host city/region then gets ticket money etc. From the article posted that is what racistball had in place

$2m would only be a host fee, The deal would have things like NRL keeps ticket money, A % of bar sales etc

What was the ave ticket price for magic Round?

$70?. 135k x $70 = $9.6m

Corporate boxes is another few million

When Suncorp was making a play for the GF, Reportedly they could make as much for the NRL due to great deals for bar takings.

Why wouldn't that apply for Magic Round? The overall money the NRL make would be way over $10m on that scale
Any evidence for those assumptions?

wazdog

Juniors
Absolutely, and the same goes for any event.

The only people that are against these events going to open tender are ones that want to monopolise each event for themselves. Basically they're putting their convenience and personal enjoyment over what is in the best interests of the game as a whole. It's pretty disgusting when you think about it.

There're grounds capable of hosting Magic Round in any of the five major capitals and Eden Park in NZ, and it should be open to any of them to bid to host it.
Ideally you'd want Magic Round rotating outside of NSW and QLD to attract viewers in our secondary markets and broader NZ market. You can drive drive the price up by putting Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Wellington up against each other. Given Origin was in Adelaide this year I would have had Magic Round in any of the other cities listed above so there's marquee events in our non-traditional markets. You'd then get clubs (through tourism deals) to take one off games to the other cities mentioned above. That way there's live games in every capital city across the season.

If it was to ever go to Melbourne Marvel would be the choice pick as it can be configured for League although I couldn't see the AFL doing us any favours given the time to reconfigure. They do however have 4 rounds a year (rounds 12-15 for them) where they schedule their byes so this could be ideal time given they'd be less games on there (though the NRL has never been smart enough to give the Storm games when there is no AFL on in Melbourne).

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Are you seriously asking why fans are interested in how much revenue the game generates compared to its rivals?
I wasn't refering to you because you are an afl cult member obsessed with spamming this rugby league forum with irrelevant afl rubbish.

I care as much about what a rival code is doing as I do about how much my neighbour earns. Don't care, don't need to know.

Iamback

Coach
Any evidence for those assumptions?

There is no deal signed but again

do you think Tony McGrath with all his Finance experience is going to sign off on such a deal?

Again do the Maths, Ticket prices alone is more than $2m why would that go back to QLD?

JD-Roo

Juniors
If it was to ever go to Melbourne Marvel would be the choice pick as it can be configured for League although I couldn't see the AFL doing us any favours given the time to reconfigure. They do however have 4 rounds a year (rounds 12-15 for them) where they schedule their byes so this could be ideal time given they'd be less games on there (though the NRL has never been smart enough to give the Storm games when there is no AFL on in Melbourne).
Round 18 vs Penrith & Round 22 vs Parramatta will be at Docklands/Marvel
Storm at Marvel Stadium on sale now!

From the look of the ticketing map, it won't be reconfigured. I don't think Docklands have done this for awhile now.

If I find anything about that changing I'll plonk it in here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wasn't refering to you because you are an afl cult member obsessed with spamming this rugby league forum with irrelevant afl rubbish.

I care as much about what a rival code is doing as I do about how much my neighbour earns. Don't care, don't need to know.
Haha your insecurity is astounding! Ive been a rl fan since 1980! Played the game followed the game all over the world, but because I don’t bury my head in the sand and wear the vlandys rose tinted glasses I must be an afl fan? Grow up!

Perth Red

Post Whore

do you think Tony McGrath with all his Finance experience is going to sign off on such a deal?

Again do the Maths, Ticket prices alone is more than $2m why would that go back to QLD?
do you have any links to how either deal is structured?

Dark Corner

Juniors
Round 18 vs Penrith & Round 22 vs Parramatta will be at Docklands/Marvel
Storm at Marvel Stadium on sale now!

From the look of the ticketing map, it won't be reconfigured. I don't think Docklands have done this for awhile now.

If I find anything about that changing I'll plonk it in here.
What pisses me off is we have had a fantastic season ..the best for years and for 4 weeks the NRL have got to go else while WOMEN'S Soccer gets all the best venues.

Canard

Immortal
Ideally you'd want Magic Round rotating outside of NSW and QLD to attract viewers in our secondary markets and broader NZ market. You can drive drive the price up by putting Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Wellington up against each other. Given Origin was in Adelaide this year I would have had Magic Round in any of the other cities listed above so there's marquee events in our non-traditional markets. You'd then get clubs (through tourism deals) to take one off games to the other cities mentioned above. That way there's live games in every capital city across the season.

I don't think a full round of fixtures in a non-League area is ever going to be a sustainable thing. And would struggle to attract crowds over the whole weekend.

I think event games are a better option, or a double header.

wazdog

Juniors
I don't think a full round of fixtures in a non-League area is ever going to be a sustainable thing. And would struggle to attract crowds over the whole weekend.

I think event games are a better option, or a double header.
It all depends on if it's a profit play or a growth play. Currently in Brisbane its profit.

Maybe reinstating the 9s can be the travelling roadshow across secondary markets with the weekend being in the smaller sized stadiums (HBF in Perth, Coopers in Adelaide etc).

Agree on Double Headers. Bunnies v Warriors in Perth has been successful in the past as has the Roosters in Adelaide.

Maximus

Coach

You could just not read the posts since they upset you so much?

Steel Saints

Juniors

Doesn't the AFL own Marvel (Docklands)? Does the NRL want to deal with the AFL?

The problem with Vic, SA and WA is none of those states has a suitable large rectangular stadium to host a magic round. AAMI Park is the largest at just 30,000.

At the moment, the NRL is in round 15, whilst the AFL is up to round 13. Perhaps the best time to stage a magic round in the non heartland states is early in the season in round 2.

Venues like MCG, Adelaide Oval and Optus could be available. Or in Melbourne's case, split the games up between the MCG and AAMI Park.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I’m not aware of ticket sales going back to the state in any games taken on the road. Certainly doesn’t happen for games brought to perth, the club/nrl keep game day revenue. What makes you think afl ticket revenue is going to SA govt?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who gives a f**k about how much another code is paying for their ripoff product?

A lot of NRL fans around here spend a lot of time posting about a sport they supposedly don't like.
Plenty are, be it crowds, tv audiences, revenue, come growth, participation numbers, deals etc. generally it’s a good idea to keep your eye on your nearest competitor to see how thyey are performing,

if you aren’t good for you, don’t read those posts lol. No one’s forcing you And no one gives a f**k if you’re not interested in them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What pisses me off is we have had a fantastic season ..the best for years and for 4 weeks the NRL have got to go else while WOMEN'S Soccer gets all the best venues.
Just read theyve sold over 1million tickets and it will be the best attended women’s sporting event ever televised globally. You can undertand why stadiums/cities wanted in on the action.

Latest posts