What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
And to think this thread was originally bagging saint Peter

as much as I thought arko and cannon were the best leaders rugby league has ever had they took an already strong game and continued its dominance

Vlandys has taken a sport which many rugby league fans thought lagged our rivals and changed it all

this growth phase has so many components to it from multiple new nrl teams across the pacific and Australia to expansion of international rugby league to American expansion

he doesn’t pay lip service to expansion the guy has adhd it has to be done and done now

the future for rugby league is international expansion

Canard

Immortal
According the NRLs website, there is 3 games a week shown on Fox Sports in the US now.

Its assume its on a more obscure channel/package as he is explicitly states that he hoping to get it on Fox 1 (which I assume is the main channel).

The trick for Peter, and Australian sports in general is will it generate enough ratings for it be on a "main channel", and will anyone be willing to pay for it.

Our timezone makes this challenging also, but I would stand up, stomp my feet and light a match for Peter V if he can get the Yanks to pay big bugs for a sport that streams at 11pm or 4am (West Coast or East Coast) that they have previously just got for free.

Last edited:
According the NRLs website, there is 3 games a week shown on Fox Sports in the US now.

Its assume its on a more obscure channel/package as he is explicitly states that he hoping to get it on Fox 1 (which I assume is the main channel).

The trick for Peter, and Australian sports in general is will it generate enough ratings for it be on a "main channel", and will anyone be willing to pay for it.

Our timezone makes this challenging also, but I would stand up, stomp my feet and light a match for Peter V if he can get the Yanks to pay big bugs for a sport that streams at 11pm or 4am (West Coast or East Coast) that they have previously just got for free.
FOX SOCCER is an extra channel, you might get it in a few sports bars if you out but more likely to get a casual viewer on fox 1

Part 2 just came out. The aftermath of meeting Biden.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has revealed plans for the NRL to bury the AFL as Australia’s No.1 sport and reign in America for decades after his meeting with US President Joe Biden.
Speaking exclusively to this masthead from the White House, V’landys spoke of the “surreal” moment an “immigrant boofhead from Wollongong” broke bread with Biden and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese at a state dinner on Wednesday night.
V’landys’ trip to America, at the behest of Albanese, is a preamble to the NRL’s historic double header in Las Vegas next March when the Broncos, Roosters, Souths and Manly will play at Allegiant Stadium.
The NRL have a five-year strategy to play in Vegas, but after meeting Biden, V’landys believes rugby league can generate more than $200 million with a permanent foothold in the Land of Opportunity.
“It’s just surreal being here. I’m pinching myself,” V’landys said.

“I’m only human and I initially met the Queen for an hour-and-a-half last year, then I met the King of England and now I’ve met the American president.
“I want to express this - if I can do it, anyone can do it.
“I’m an immigrant kid from Wollongong and I’m here at the White House.
“I hope Australian kids take inspiration from this thinking, ‘If this boofhead can be at the White House, anyone can achieve it’.
“Anthony Albanese is a great man and is a great supporter of rugby league.
“It’s been a great trip and a very important trip. I have been some very big hitters and I’ve learned a lot about the American market.
“From government officials to major business people, the trip has been exceptionally worthwhile. To be successful, you have to set the foundations and I’m setting the foundations for the long-term growth of the sport.
“I have made some key contacts that will be important for rugby league’s future.
“I won’t name names because I don’t want to embarrass them but the NRL will be Australia’s No.1 sport.”

V’landys said rubbing shoulders with Biden came about by chance after an unsolicited invitation from Albanese over lunch in Sydney.
“How it came about, I was having lunch with ‘Albo’,” he said.
“We were talking about Vegas and he said there’s a state dinner at the White House coming up, do you want to come?
“I will get you some publicity on rugby league and Vegas.
“I jumped at it and here I am in America meeting the US president, it’s been an amazing trip.
“Joe Biden was very nice and friendly. We took a photo with Anthony Albanese. We had a reception on the lawns of the White House and Albo’s speech was exceptional.
“It made me proud to be an Australian.”
An NRL delegation will return to America next month to ramp-up promotions for the code’s Sin City sortie, with Broncos lock Pat Carrigan and Souths’ Cameron Murray to help spruik the code to the US public.
V’landys is keen to leverage America’s massive wagering and broadcast market and says the NRL spreading its tentacles to one of the world’s most powerful nations can leave rival winter code the AFL in the shade.

“People don’t realise the power of us connecting with America,” he said.
“I’m not talking benefits in the tens of millions, I’m talking hundreds of millions, but only if the strategy is properly implemented and I am making sure we dot every I and cross every T.
“We are doing as much due diligence as we can in American to make rugby league a great success in this country.
“There are 340 million people in America, there’s 26 million in Australia.
“Even if you get one per cent of the population here, it’s worth hundreds of millions to us.
“What I have discovered over here is that there are a lot of people in America who are expat Australians. Even if they subscribe to rugby league, it’s worth millions, so American can be a goldmine for the NRL and I’m determined to make it work.”
The NRL is committed to playing games in Vegas until 2028, but V’landys wants rugby league to establish a permanent base in America well into the 2030s.
“We have the AFL on the run,” he said.
“We want to be in America longer than five years.

“I am confident it will be longer than that, we have set ourselves five years and if the results aren’t there in five, we will reassess, but I know we have the best game.
“There is no game like rugby league. It’s got everything. It’s brutal. It’s entertaining. It’s tribal. AFL isn’t here. People say there’s a lot of sports in America but rugby league is as good as anything here.
“Our success here won’t happen overnight. It won’t happen in one year. But if our figures are correct and our commitment is long term, there could be more revenue coming to us from America than Australia, simply because of the scale of the population.
“We have a great ad that we will put out very soon and we will be putting it out on social media to promote the Vegas concept.
“We’re taking a few NRL players over in the next few weeks, including Pat Carrigan, and we’ll have celebrities involved, too.
“We are after two things: subscribers and doing a deal with some wagering operators.
“It’s up to us to market rugby league in America to sell it to the people and that’s what I intend to do.”

Inside Peter V’landys’ Joe Biden meeting, fresh AFL dig

taste2taste

Juniors
Part 2 just came out. The aftermath of meeting Biden.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has revealed plans for the NRL to bury the AFL as Australia’s No.1 sport and reign in America for decades after his meeting with US President Joe Biden.
Speaking exclusively to this masthead from the White House, V’landys spoke of the “surreal” moment an “immigrant boofhead from Wollongong” broke bread with Biden and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese at a state dinner on Wednesday night.
V’landys’ trip to America, at the behest of Albanese, is a preamble to the NRL’s historic double header in Las Vegas next March when the Broncos, Roosters, Souths and Manly will play at Allegiant Stadium.
The NRL have a five-year strategy to play in Vegas, but after meeting Biden, V’landys believes rugby league can generate more than $200 million with a permanent foothold in the Land of Opportunity.
“It’s just surreal being here. I’m pinching myself,” V’landys said.

“I’m only human and I initially met the Queen for an hour-and-a-half last year, then I met the King of England and now I’ve met the American president.
“I want to express this - if I can do it, anyone can do it.
“I’m an immigrant kid from Wollongong and I’m here at the White House.
“I hope Australian kids take inspiration from this thinking, ‘If this boofhead can be at the White House, anyone can achieve it’.
“Anthony Albanese is a great man and is a great supporter of rugby league.
“It’s been a great trip and a very important trip. I have been some very big hitters and I’ve learned a lot about the American market.
“From government officials to major business people, the trip has been exceptionally worthwhile. To be successful, you have to set the foundations and I’m setting the foundations for the long-term growth of the sport.
“I have made some key contacts that will be important for rugby league’s future.
“I won’t name names because I don’t want to embarrass them but the NRL will be Australia’s No.1 sport.”

V’landys said rubbing shoulders with Biden came about by chance after an unsolicited invitation from Albanese over lunch in Sydney.
“How it came about, I was having lunch with ‘Albo’,” he said.
“We were talking about Vegas and he said there’s a state dinner at the White House coming up, do you want to come?
“I will get you some publicity on rugby league and Vegas.
“I jumped at it and here I am in America meeting the US president, it’s been an amazing trip.
“Joe Biden was very nice and friendly. We took a photo with Anthony Albanese. We had a reception on the lawns of the White House and Albo’s speech was exceptional.
“It made me proud to be an Australian.”
An NRL delegation will return to America next month to ramp-up promotions for the code’s Sin City sortie, with Broncos lock Pat Carrigan and Souths’ Cameron Murray to help spruik the code to the US public.
V’landys is keen to leverage America’s massive wagering and broadcast market and says the NRL spreading its tentacles to one of the world’s most powerful nations can leave rival winter code the AFL in the shade.

“People don’t realise the power of us connecting with America,” he said.
“I’m not talking benefits in the tens of millions, I’m talking hundreds of millions, but only if the strategy is properly implemented and I am making sure we dot every I and cross every T.
“We are doing as much due diligence as we can in American to make rugby league a great success in this country.
“There are 340 million people in America, there’s 26 million in Australia.
“Even if you get one per cent of the population here, it’s worth hundreds of millions to us.
“What I have discovered over here is that there are a lot of people in America who are expat Australians. Even if they subscribe to rugby league, it’s worth millions, so American can be a goldmine for the NRL and I’m determined to make it work.”
The NRL is committed to playing games in Vegas until 2028, but V’landys wants rugby league to establish a permanent base in America well into the 2030s.
“We have the AFL on the run,” he said.
“We want to be in America longer than five years.

“I am confident it will be longer than that, we have set ourselves five years and if the results aren’t there in five, we will reassess, but I know we have the best game.
“There is no game like rugby league. It’s got everything. It’s brutal. It’s entertaining. It’s tribal. AFL isn’t here. People say there’s a lot of sports in America but rugby league is as good as anything here.
“Our success here won’t happen overnight. It won’t happen in one year. But if our figures are correct and our commitment is long term, there could be more revenue coming to us from America than Australia, simply because of the scale of the population.
“We have a great ad that we will put out very soon and we will be putting it out on social media to promote the Vegas concept.
“We’re taking a few NRL players over in the next few weeks, including Pat Carrigan, and we’ll have celebrities involved, too.
“We are after two things: subscribers and doing a deal with some wagering operators.
“It’s up to us to market rugby league in America to sell it to the people and that’s what I intend to do.”

Inside Peter V’landys’ Joe Biden meeting, fresh AFL dig
Thanks for posting.

PVL sounds like an over excited teenager who's just got to 1st base for the first time.

If PVL can achieve for the NRL what he's done with the Everest we'll be incredibly rich.

I'm not a fan of the AFL trolling, bagging thier sport isn't going to get them to watch or attend any league, it'll hurt us in the long run.

Wb1234

Referee
Thanks for posting.

PVL sounds like an over excited teenager who's just got to 1st base for the first time.

If PVL can achieve for the NRL what he's done with the Everest we'll be incredibly rich.

I'm not a fan of the AFL trolling, bagging thier sport isn't going to get them to watch or attend any league, it'll hurt us in the long run.
To be fair the fumblers responded to the nrl ads

no mention was made of afl

it’s not their business how rugby league promotes itself in America

footy75

Bench

100 per cent.

It´so dumb. Only short sighted fools can´t see the big picture here.
The NRL should want AFL fans to adopt an NRL team. Work with them and not constantly create this fkn war that feeds and fuels simple people.

Working alongside the AFL so Australians have a team in both codes and even working the draw or membership options for example so a fans can adopt and even watch both their teams is the way forward. Their should be a model/plan heading in this direction. There is no chance when this clown talks.

When you have a leader who is so unprofessional saying stupid shit bagging out the biggest code and sounding like a moron that belongs in the Fight Club you are seriously f**ked. All he does is alienate the majority of passionate, payed up, attending football fans in this country which are AFL fans.

I cringe everytime that dickhead opens his mouth. He does so much good but then ruins it in two seconds when he opens his mouth.

And to think this thread was originally bagging saint Peter

as much as I thought arko and cannon were the best leaders rugby league has ever had they took an already strong game and continued its dominance

Vlandys has taken a sport which many rugby league fans thought lagged our rivals and changed it all

this growth phase has so many components to it from multiple new nrl teams across the pacific and Australia to expansion of international rugby league to American expansion

he doesn’t pay lip service to expansion the guy has adhd it has to be done and done now

the future for rugby league is international expansion

Arthurson and Quayle should have held back on expansion until the TV was up for renewal in 2000. I say that as a Cowboys fan. I'm glad my team got in, but they weren't ready in 1995. The teams only got aa $500k grant back in those days.

Iamback

Coach
100 per cent.

It´so dumb. Only short sighted fools can´t see the big picture here.
The NRL should want AFL fans to adopt an NRL team. Work with them and not constantly create this fkn war that feeds and fuels simple people.

Working alongside the AFL so Australians have a team in both codes and even working the draw or membership options for example so a fans can adopt and even watch both their teams is the way forward. Their should be a model/plan heading in this direction. There is no chance when this clown talks.

When you have a leader who is so unprofessional saying stupid shit bagging out the biggest code and sounding like a moron that belongs in the Fight Club you are seriously f**ked. All he does is alienate the majority of passionate, payed up, attending football fans in this country which are AFL fans.

I cringe everytime that dickhead opens his mouth. He does so much good but then ruins it in two seconds when he opens his mouth.

It is to get attention in AFL states. Remember the Australia's biggest sport?

More clicks can be added to most watched and make it most sport stories viewed on line, All things to sell to potential sponsors