What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Wallace

skaines

Juniors
Although I think Wallace wouldnt do too bad at hooker, it would then mean someone has to play at half back.

In the long term, with locky retiring, you want the experience in the halves, Wallace needs to stay there to improve on his ability to create oportunities.

At the moment, I feel he is playing better because he is behind a good pack and outside a good 5/8.

Come next year, he will be the teams goto man for creativity, I hope he proves me wrong, but i have my doubts, whilst he is improving i feel he is still getting quite lost in attack especially when on the oposition line.

Mr Fourex

Bench
So you're saying he didn't do any of that?
Or didn't he do enough of that?

Or, as is more likely, you just ignored the times he did, and focussed on the times he was caught with the ball, never minding how he got in that position...?

Mate......I am not ignoring anything.

I am trying to be as objective as I can when watching him.

I am saying that on more than one occasion, the play broke down with him getting caught with the ball........and that he hadn't/couldn't manufacture something instead of that.

You can blame the service from dummy half to a certain degree .........but also a lot of it was due to his own inabilities as well

and if you and others can't/don't want to admit that, then in your own words, you're not being "intellectually honest"

Last edited:

DecoyRunner

Juniors
PROS: Outstanding defence, takes on the line, above average kicker, accurate passer.

CONS: Slow, no side step, lacks imagination, never even comes close to attempting let alone kicking 40/20s

Would make a decent 5/8th with his long passing and kicking game, but would need a quick, nippy, x-factor halfback to be effective.

Under-20s number 6 is too small to have number 14 as his halves partner, but number 7 still needs to be let go next time his contract is up. Have a crack at injured Raiders number 6! Classic 5/8th in the mould of the current number 6.

johnnyg

Juniors
Come next year, he will be the teams goto man for creativity, I hope he proves me wrong, but i have my doubts,

Won't have to wait until next year, few weeks and he'll be running the show during origin. Will be interesting to watch but I do have concerns re -

whilst he is improving i feel he is still getting quite lost in attack especially when on the oposition line.

AuDragon

Juniors
Mate......I am not ignoring anything.

I am trying to be as objective as I can when watching him.

I am saying that on more than one occasion, the play broke down with him getting caught with the ball........and that he hadn't/couldn't manufacture something instead of that.

You can blame the service from dummy half to a certain degree .........but also a lot of it was due to his own inabilities as well

and if you and others can't/don't want to admit that, then in your own words, you're not being "intellectually honest"
See, that's the problem here. Unrealistic expectations!
I've admitted plenty of times that Wallace is not, nor will he ever be at the level of a Locky, Langer or even Thurston.
This is furthermore what I said regarding him being caught with the ball in hand several times:
And before you or anyone else say it... Yes, Lockyer handles it better! But then again, Lockyer is probably the no.1 player you should never rush on, and Wallace will never be at his level.

We have the worst service from dummy half in the NRL, and 90% of the halves would suffer behind it, simple as that!
The point is, that there are probably 3 or 4 halves in the comp that would do better than Wallace with the service he gets and I accept that he isn't the best out there.
At the same time, I think the barrage of criticism he gets is way over the top, compared to what he delivers.
I'll go as far as saying that if Wallace had a Cam Smith as hooker, he would be on par with Cronk, who has a similar style of play. As someone as said already, he has proved it when he had a good hooker in Ennis playing in front of him.

I cannot understand how people underestimate the influence of dummy half service to a halfback, who normally is the first receiver of the ball!

Summary: Wallace will never be a Thurston, live with it! There are no available top notch halves out there either atm, live with it! We have a much bigger problem in our no. 9 position, than in our no. 7, and that's what we have to focus on IMO!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Mr 4X is not going have a go at Wallace. Like most Broncos fans, we would be more than happy to be proven wrong about him, trust me. But I tend to agree with him that Wallace lacks creativity and several times the play broke down with him in possession of the ball. He just seems unsure of what to do. I really like Wallaces commitment to the team, I often get shivers down my spine watching him bring down guys much bigger than him and cut someone down after a long kick chase. He has plenty of heart, its just the skill level that worries me, especially when Lockyer retires.

And then people say, oh dont worry about next year blah blah... But what happens if Lockyer goes down in the test match or one of the origin games. All of a sudden, the future will be upon us. We need to be ready.

And to anyone who says we shouldn't bag anyone in a winning team, pretty much everyone is having a crack at McCullough/Hunt, which is indeed our major problem at the moment.