What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Wallace.

shaggs

Coach
When I was a trainer, the rules were very specific in ISP that you could only on the field at certain times.

Orange shirt is medical/Physio- for injuries and was only supposed to enter the field when a player was down.

Blue shirt is the water boy. We were only supposed to enter the field during a stoppage or briefly when your team had the ball. Was supposed to supply water and then keep moving.
It was always ouches to the limits and most stayed out there as long as possible. The only time they sent you off was in defence.

Yellow shirt was the extra. Only during stoppages and to assist the orange trainer for medical work.

Spot On

Coach
Jokes aside, Langer shouldn't be allowed on the field because even though he's pushing 60, he's still better than the Broncos current halves pairing

I'd argue Langer is doing a piss poor job. The poor bludgers have won didley squat since he was given the gig.

Time for a new water boy.

This Year?

Immortal
I don't have a problem with it, it's not like the Panthers' halves are so inadequate that they need to listen to him to know what to do.

If it produces better footy then so be it.
Don't be so ridiculous. We need outrage because Kent wants it. Outrageous! Next thing you know players will have speakers implanted so they can hear instructions from the coach.
I wonder what Kent would think of that.

Canard

Immortal
Honestly didn't expect to find Broncos fans salt in this thread.

Was a pleasant surprise

DeeJ

Bench
I'm surprised Wallace can actually get out there and do that job. I thought his knees were done.

kbw

Bench
Basically the Blue shirt trainer is one of the assistant coaches, every single one of them in the NRL knows the players and the plays as well as the players themselves.

The rules defining the roles of the trainers have some differences in the NRL compared to those in NSW Cup down to U13s.

The NRL Operations manual states that the Blue shirt must only give individual messages not general messages or otherwise assist in the task of coaching. They must also leave the field by the completion of the 4th tackle.

Its a very grey area between individual msgs and coaching and because the fines associated are decent it has to be proven conclusively.

Not getting off the field by the 4th tackle is much easier to enforce.

It is up to the ground management staff to enforce these rules and they don't bother half the time. I noticed the Broncos trainers for the WNRL were basically running up and down the sideline coaching on Fri night and nothing was done

The NRL sometimes reviews the game and issues fines post game, it needs to be enforced during the game as well

Trainer's should only be allowed on the field during a stoppage. Let the players work out what plays they are running, Alfie's been doing it for years, Toovs was also a big offender of this before he took over as head coach. It's kind of pathetic that mid game our games players need someone to hold their hands and tell them what to do. Isn't that the whole point of training?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I was talking about media articles. Don't think I've seen Langer being the subject of one like the Wallace story.
Constantly mentioned in tv media (commentary, NRL shows etc) and around here though. Wallace's efforts were pretty blatant, but all clubs have trainers on the field acting as coaches. It's just the recognisable faces (or bald/red heads) that get noticed more, leading to the ignorant outcries against particular clubs. Toovey used to get lumped in a lot too.

Watch older Broncos games and you'll notice Bellamy. Ronnie Palmer also had an uncanny knack of getting his head on camera for East's/NSW.

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
I don't have a problem with it, it's not like the Panthers' halves are so inadequate that they need to listen to him to know what to do.

If it produces better footy then so be it.

Yep couldn't care less that every team's assistant coach is out there in attack. No one is disadvantaged as everyone can and generally does do it.

We still see a lot of dumb footy. Where was Dragon's blue shirt to tell them to kick the f**ker the other night?

Latest posts