What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petero may be psychic

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
This article from Saturday:

Petero warns of farce

By Steve Mascord
October 21, 2006
AUSTRALIA prop Petero Civoniceva has warned officials to tighten up judiciary procedures or risk a Tri-Nations "farce" and players suffering serious injuries from foul play.
The warning came as New Zealand coach Brian McClennan admitted to concerns tonight's clash could get "out of hand".
The normally mild-mannered Civoniceva also said Kiwi players had tried to bait the Australians last week and were guilty of diving at the feet of defenders to take advantage of referee Ashley Klein's northern hemisphere rule interpretations.
At the end of a colourful build-up to the second match of the series, Brisbane's Civoniceva is the first player involved in the series to criticise disciplinary procedures, which involve no independent review of incidents, no carryover points and no loading for previous offences.
"You'd like to get it up the same standard as what we play under in the NRL," he told The Saturday Daily Telegraph at the Australians' Melbourne hotel.
"It would lessen the chances of someone being injured seriously and also you don't want guys knowing that rules are a bit lenient and taking the law into their own hands and getting away with stuff that they normally wouldn't in the regular season.
"I don't think guys go in there with any notion of that but in saying that, you don't want things getting out of hand and turning it into a bit of a farce where you know you do a high tackle, there's a likelihood of it not going before any kind of judiciary."
McClennan conceded he had similar concerns - but added the disciplinary procedures were not to blame.
"There has been a lead-up where it could get out of hand so we're very conscious we want to be very disciplined," he said after a training session at Telstra Dome.
"I hope that it stays confrontational because I think that's the difference between an international match and an NRL match and I think it's very important for the fans that there is that element of physicality."
<A class=image href="http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/?from=ni_story"">
h14_dailytelegraph.gif

^^^ And then to see the dangerous tackle on Petero by Adam Blair and Nathan Cayless receive no action justifies his warning. This sends a pretty clear message that players will be able to get away with some pretty dirty stuff. My concern is that someone will be injured due to a players' reckless actions.

There was very little in that tackle. You've been watching too much NRL where a player only has to look the wrong way and he gets suspended. The new judiciary rules have not affected the 3N so far and I see no reason why they will for the remainder of the series. The Tele spouted a heap of sh*t about this before game one, about it being "open slather", and there has hardly been a high/dangerous tackle worth penalising in 160 minutes of football so far. The fact that harsh rules haven't stopped dangerous tackles in the NRL and that softer rules haven't increased such incidents in the 3N indicates that the severity of the rules have little impact on how the game is played. If a player does something wrong there is a still a process there anyway. If Petero and the Australian team management thought the tackle was worthy of further penalty they should have cited the players involved, as the new rule states, within 30 minutes of fulltime.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The photo above clearly demonstrates the dangerous and reckless nature of that tackle. Had Petero not got an arm free to brace himself as he came down, one can only imagine what injuries he could have sustained landing on his head and/or neck.

An NRL player would be sitting out a few games for that throw and yet a Tri-Nations player will go unimpeded. No one likes to see anyone tackled like that, and that's why in the NRL it is treated harshly.

The photo shows f**k all. If it was so bad why didn't the Aussies cite the Kiwis? If they don't have a problem with it why are you twinkies so bothered. This is Test match football not the soft-c**k NRL. Do you realise what a bunch of soft whinging girls you make Australian fans sound like when you bleat about this sort of thing? Our attitude shouild be BRING IT ON. We'll take whatever sh*t they throw at us, we won't whinge and we'll still win.

Mr Saab

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
The photo shows f**k all. If it was so bad why didn't the Aussies cite the Kiwis? If they don't have a problem with it why are you twinkies so bothered. This is Test match football not the soft-c**k NRL. Do you realise what a bunch of soft whinging girls you make Australian fans sound like when you bleat about this sort of thing? Our attitude shouild be BRING IT ON. We'll take whatever sh*t they throw at us, we won't whinge and we'll still win.

Still living in 1985 i take it?
Feel free to join us in 2006 at your leisure.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
East Coast Tiger said:

Yep, you're a tool, congratulations. The NRL is soft. I think you're right though, we should have the attitude "Yeah man, throw me on my head! That's it, harder!" You've obviously never played in a game and been involved in a dangerous tackle like that. Armchair expert.

I've been spear tackled into the ground and taken to hospital unconscious. It happens in rugby league and rarely on purpose. The Kiwis didn't do it deliberately and it wasn't a serious offence anyway. Obviously the officials thought the same thing because there was no further action taken. Penalty and get on with the game. That's the way it should be. Willie Mason one week and now this. All this bitching just makes us all look soft.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
East Coast Tiger said:
I've been spear tackled into the ground and taken to hospital unconscious. .

it's obviously had an effect on your intelligence

East Coast Tiger said:
It happens in rugby league and rarely on purpose. .
this makes it acceptable then. i'm sure jarrod mccracken feels the same way you do

East Coast Tiger said:
The Kiwis didn't do it deliberately and it wasn't a serious offence anyway. .
:crazy: awesome thinking. if theres no intent then it's ok

East Coast Tiger said:
Obviously the officials thought the same thing because there was no further action taken.
hmm or perhaps the fact that there's a problem with this half arsed tri nations judiciary system has soemthing to do with it. I think petero should have shown how hard he is by not putting his arm out and should have shown how tough he is by getting spinal damage

Wicks

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
The Kiwis didn't do it deliberately

Not a viable defence Few acts are ever deliberate

There has been Tim Maddison Greg Bird Adrian Morley John Hopoate Danny Williams in the last five years

If there cannot be a points penalty then there should have been a fine

Latest posts