What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Blake?

TheDalek079

Bench
How good was Phil Blake?

He was slightly before my time, but I remember a lot of fuss about him (here in NZ they had to create a superstar for the warriors), yet when I look at his rep career he played hardly any rep footy. Whenever they show highlights the word that comes to mind is electric.

So what's the go? Was Blake brilliant but unlucky with rep footy, or just a solid first grader? Which modern day player could he be compared to - Lyon?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Had 2 absolutely brilliant seasons for Manly in 82 and 83 scoring 27 tries in 1983. Then got a little lost for a few years because his defensive skills weren't great. I think he played for the rabbletohs back in the late 80s and went well.

Was a master of the chip and chase and an excitement machine. Can I compare him from someone from this era? Maybe Matt Bowen.

Godz Illa

Coach
He was great for the Dragons in the early 90's as well. A big part of our 1993 runners-up team. Brian Smith picked his brother Tony at five-eighth for the grand final ahead of Blake (named on the bench), which may be another reason poor Brian has a donut-shaped symbol in his 'GF Victories' column

He was a brilliant attacking player. Not so good defensively. I think this is the main reason he missed out on a lot of rep footy.

If you have some spare time one day, go onto youtube and watch some of the many highlights videos of his. The man had some skills.

Danish

Referee
He is the first player whose name I could remember and who I used to pretend to be when I was 4 or 5 playing backyard footy with my older brother. Watching his highlight reels now its clear to see why as well with his brilliant and fearless attack, he was essentially the Barba of his day (although more skilllful IMO).

He'd be murdered by modern day coaches though given his lax attitude towards retaining possession. Imagine how long a fullback would last chip and chasing on the 1st tackle on a kick return :lol:

Fingerbang

Bench
I hated Manly, but loved watching him play.....magic. If I were to compare him to a today player, it would only be Benji when he was at his best a few years ago.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Phil Blake played for more first grade teams than I've had baked dinners.

Both Phil and brother Michael performed well for the Sea Eagles during the late 80s.

POPEYE

Coach
He had the speed to step straight into modern day League and his chip'n'chase couldn't be planned against, every fullback would have to be as good as Slater in defence against him . . . pity he couldn't reciprocate

H.H

Juniors
Freakish talent who had blistering speed.

Had a major heart attack not that long ago despite still being fit...coaches Union these days at a fairly high level I think.

eozsmiles

Bench
Freakish talent who had blistering speed.

Had a major heart attack not that long ago despite still being fit...coaches Union these days at a fairly high level I think.

I think he coaches Manly 1st grade rugby team.

He was a little excitement machine. Would've been a hell-fish at backyard footy.

Bullseye

Juniors
Was a great flair player. He stood out in a short spell over here when he played for Wigan. His defence was less of a problem against English sides and he had more opportunities in attack.

Loudstrat

Coach
Was the original question about why Blake didnt represent?

Have you ever looked at the team sheets for the grand final of his debut season to see who he was opposing that day?

sterling.jpg

[/thread]

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It shouldn't be that hard to understand why he didn't play much rep footy, look at some of the exciting fullbacks struggling to rep now. Matt Bowen was only ever fringe Origin and Ben Barba is still struggling to crack it.

mongoose

Coach
It shouldn't be that hard to understand why he didn't play much rep footy, look at some of the exciting fullbacks struggling to rep now. Matt Bowen was only ever fringe Origin and Ben Barba is still struggling to crack it.

Barba has Slater and Inglis in front of him. Pretty unlucky.

Phil Blake would easily make the current NSW side though, i would hope.

Latest posts