What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

phil gould attacks the broncos' salary cap

griff

Bench
El Duque said:
If a player decides to retire before his contract is up do you honestly think a club is going to pay him his contract for the years he didn't play :?

They do that quite often. If a team is in cap trouble they lean on their ageing stars to make an early retirement and pay out the rest of their contract.

Kaz

junior
Razor said:
Ikin doesn't get $2000 a game

Where do you get your crap info from.

The newspaper

What paper??????

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/13/1084289801733.html?from=storylhs&oneclick=true

Ikin: The Broncos' $200 fill-in halfback
May 13, 2004 - 1:54PM

Bargain Bronco ... Ben Ikin

Ben Ikin stands to earn a princely $200 playing as a fill-in halfback for Brisbane in tomorrow night's NRL match against Newcastle after Shaun Berrigan's comeback was again delayed.

Razor said:

The newspaper

Ikin should be on a lot more than that. He's at least a $5000 a game player, now if he plays every game he'll get $48,000 for the year. He's worth a lot more than that.

Big deal, East in Brisbane agreed to it.

Easts have an agreement with Canberra. Did Canberra agree to it?

No they don't. Canberra have an affiliation with Souths Logan.

BTW, there is no salary cap in the Qld Cup.

melon....

Coach
Kiwi said:
the guy is a toss, considering the Roosters have staked their lower grades with as much talent as they can due to the salary cap for the lower grades being abolished thanks to someone who shall remain name*cough*canavan*cough*less.

Gould your a wanker and still pushing your pointless biased bullsh*t agenda's, hurry up and retire from the media as well as coaching already. You wont be missed by many.
Kiwi get real you fool. Brisbane have been doing what easts are doing with lower grades for f**king 20 years. You invented it.

rugged

Juniors
Smith played magnificently today for Easts, watched by an unusually huge crowd for the QLD cup.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Ikin is only $200 a game, there was also a big deal made about it earlier in the season how he is playing for so little. Nowhere near the $2000 mark. Good find Kaz.

Brisbane also DON'T have access to all of the Qld Cup teams like people make out. Darren Smith was granted a 2 game release, that was all, and he won't play again for the Broncos. Considering he has played for us in the past I don't see any reason why people can carry on about getting Darren Smith. I don't see any other clubs racing after his services anyway.

Kris_man

Bench
I think Gould made a very good point, however it is ironic coming from a Roosters official. I think both the Broncos and the Roosters are very suspicious regarding their player payments. But self-interest governs just about all thoughts (that's why it's so hard to find a Roosters or Broncos fan who admits that something is suss: self interest), and self-interest can usually be fed with money, which is what the Roosters have.
My brother's a mad Roosters fan, and he admits that the Roosters are suspicious, but I guess he's the exception. Most other fans are too pig-headed and self-centred to see beyond the interests of their own club.

Kaz

junior
melon.... said:
Kiwi get real you fool. Brisbane have been doing what easts are doing with lower grades for f**king 20 years. You invented it.

Brisbane haven't been in the comp for 20 years. :roll:

Kaz

junior
I wonder if Gould has forgotten the Roosters 'signed' Chris Walker for around $45,000 a few years ago.

Kaz

junior
Razor said:
I wonder if Gould has forgotten the Roosters 'signed' Chris Walker for around $45,000 a few years ago

He is worth that?

He was getting over $200,000 at Souths & he was around that when at the Broncos.

Kaz

junior
melon.... said:
Kaz said:
Razor said:
I wonder if Gould has forgotten the Roosters 'signed' Chris Walker for around $45,000 a few years ago

He is worth that?

He was getting over $200,000 at Souths & he was around that when at the Broncos.
But was he worth it? He earns now what he's worth. 45K.

:lol: :lol:

Even you don't believe that.

Didn't he re-sign not that long ago & they "increased" his contract.

greeneyed

First Grade
Razor said:
What a joke. Darren Smith is payed by Easts Tigers, and Ikin and Green are payed by Clydesdales. Clydesdales don't come under the broncos salary cap. Stupid Gould's a joke.

Ikin gets $2000 a game
Green gets $200 a game

That's Broncos payments. So that does come under the Broncos salary cap

But that's what Gould was saying. The NSW clubs(except Penrith) and North QLD have teams of their own in lower grades, so all of the players can come under the cap. The other clubs don't have that, their lower grades can sign players for high amounts and even if he's being paid more than the 25th paid player from the top grade side he won't come under that clubs cap.

The fact Smith played for the Broncos is a joke. He was contracted to Easts, who have an agreement with Canberra. He should not have been allowed to play. That's like a Roosters reserve grade player playing for Souths

This is totally inaccurate. Darren Smith is contracted to Easts Brisbane and they have NOTHING to do with Canberra. Canberra is related to Souths Logan ... not that this helps us much, as they are second bottom team in the Queensland Cup.

I personally don't agree with Ikin being "on tap" for nicks, like this... But for Phil Gould to criticise the Broncos... it is like Dracula complaining about Vampira taking too much blood out of the innocent....... honestly, if Gould wasn't so influential it would be funny. But it isn't funny.

greeneyed

First Grade
Razor said:

The newspaper

Ikin should be on a lot more than that. He's at least a $5000 a game player, now if he plays every game he'll get $48,000 for the year. He's worth a lot more than that.

Big deal, East in Brisbane agreed to it.

Easts have an agreement with Canberra. Did Canberra agree to it?

Easts have NO agreements with Canberra. They have informally linked to Cronulla and Penrith, while Johnny Lang has been their coaches. Nothing more.

greeneyed

First Grade
griff said:
He was deliberately stirring, but what Gould was saying was a good point. There needs to be something done to stop players coming back from retirement being used to rort the cap.

If a player is contracted to a club and then "retires", he is paid out the rest of his contract and it won't count on the cap.

He can then come back on a token match payments only contract. These payments will count on the cap.

eg Player A is being paid $200k a year and is contracted to a club for the 2005 season. However, at the end of this season he "retires" and is paid out his $200k for the remainder of his contract. This 200k therefore won't feature in the clubs 2005 cap.

Player A then "makes a comeback" near the start of the 2005 season, and settles on a contract for $100 a game. He doesn't care he is being paid so little as he already has the $200k in the bank.

This $100 a game match payment will come off the clubs salary cap, but the $200k he was paid out at retirement won't. This could easily be used to rort the system.

Heard about Chris Walker throwing a sooky fit? He went to Souths for a whole lot more money, then he decided he didn't like playing for a team that loses all the time....... awwwwwwwwwww..... like he didn't know they lose all the time first......

"I don't want to play anymore" says Chris....

OK... your contract is torn up Chris.... says the silly Souths management....

SUDDENLY, Chris decides to play for the Roosters for virtually NOTHING!!!!!!! "I just want to play in a winning team and play footy for fun. I want to resurrect my career" he says........ It is OK, say the Roosters... he is worth nothing on our salary cap.. we are rescuing him... blah blah blah....

Phil Gould... Dally M Hypocrite of the Year award........

realredhillboy

Juniors
kris_man said:
I think Gould made a very good point, however it is ironic coming from a Roosters official. I think both the Broncos and the Roosters are very suspicious regarding their player payments. But self-interest governs just about all thoughts (that's why it's so hard to find a Roosters or Broncos fan who admits that something is suss: self interest), and self-interest can usually be fed with money, which is what the Roosters have.
My brother's a mad Roosters fan, and he admits that the Roosters are suspicious, but I guess he's the exception. Most other fans are too pig-headed and self-centred to see beyond the interests of their own club.
i'll be the first to admit the roosters seem suspicious! and if they are rorting the cap fine they should pay dearly. but i just believe its hypocritical for broncos fans to have a go at the roosters for being rich and alledgly rorting the cap. its the pot calling the kettle black. i'm sure if the broncos were well over the cap their narrowminded fans would still defend them. i'm sure they also have a little protection from news ltd. i saw lachlan murdoch getting cozy with bennett, that made me hate em even more.

rugged

Juniors
rugged wrote:
Smith played magnificently today for Easts, watched by an unusually huge crowd for the QLD cup.

What was the score etc?

It was about 33 to 20. It was 23 to 0 in the second half.
Renouf didn't play.

Kiwi

First Grade
melon.... said:
Kiwi said:
the guy is a toss, considering the Roosters have staked their lower grades with as much talent as they can due to the salary cap for the lower grades being abolished thanks to someone who shall remain name*cough*canavan*cough*less.

Gould your a wanker and still pushing your pointless biased bullsh*t agenda's, hurry up and retire from the media as well as coaching already. You wont be missed by many.

pfft like we would pay close to the million bucks a season for our junior players like the Roosters are rumoured to do.

I wonder if the current crop of youngsters in the Roosters lower ranks have realised that if they want to play first grade for an extended period in the tri-colours they have to play first grade for another team first ;-) .