What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould says he has no plans to join North Queensland Cowboys or coach NSW

A brutally honest Gould said he would not continue to help the Cowboys after recently running the rule over the battling NRL club's operation, claiming it was up to them to "dig their way out".
Gould had been offered a 12-month consultancy role but said he had every faith in Cowboys coach Neil Henry.
However, he had a crack at the Cowboys player recruitment, saying it was catering for players looking for a second chance or "pension money".
NSW's most successful Origin coach also categorically ruled out any future involvement with the battling Blues, saying "I have had my time".
Gould had been seen as the Cowboys' saviour after North Queensland's woeful NRL season in which they only missed out on the wooden spoon thanks to the salary cap-rorting Melbourne Storm.

But instead of offering a rescue plan, the two-time premiership coach provided some tough love.
Gould said he had done all he could after North Queensland made changes to their front office, support staff and player roster.
Gould said the Cowboys faced an uphill battle but hinted that as soon as they addressed recruitment they would turn things around.
"They have their work cut out for them," he told a Men of League charity function in Brisbane.
"What they need to do is get players playing to their potential, and they may become a club players will go to.
"At the moment I get the feeling that the only players going there are looking for a second chance or at the back end of their career looking for a bit of pension money.
"That's not a healthy recruitment drive ... I don't think development has really kicked in up there.
Gould believed if he hung around at the club he would only be undermining the under-pressure Henry.
"I told them on Friday I wouldn't be back," he said.
"I have done virtually all I can for them ... Neil Henry has to dig his own way out.
"And I hope they turn it around - North Queensland is so important to the NRL.
Gould had also been thrust into the Origin limelight after Queensland romped to a record fifth straight series win this year.
But Gould - now a media personality - said he had no interest.
"It's six years since I last coached the Origin side and 10 years since I last had a club side," he said.
"Things have changed so much since then.
"It can be turned around quickly but someone has got to have the passion for it (but) I have had my time to be honest."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...eir-nrl-fortunes/story-fn2mcuj6-1225951305328

Loudstrat

Coach
Sensible from Phil.

The Cowpats punted Murray and hired Henry as the saviour - and he has done sweet FA. Gus is right, their problem.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Dissapointing, was hoping he could be convinced to coach NSW. He knows what he's talking about and has done it all before, he could have been a huge asset in 2011. But having said that, if his heart isn't in it it takes a big man to admit that and not accept a job he couldn't give 100% to.

Charlie124

First Grade
Yeah i was a bit confsued about some of his comments. Especially in regards to the clubs recent recruitment. It sounds like he hasnt really looked very hard at anything the club has done at all...

Didgi

Sounds like he came, told us to sack people we already sacked, and commented on our recruitment from 2 years ago, and told us to help ourselves. Real informative there Phil, well done. Did you have a look at who we're bringing in for 2011? Did you sneak a peek at our young blokes? Open your bee sting eyes.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So this is the great gus gould, greatest coach in origin's history (his official self appointed title) verdict.
A 5 year old could have gone up there had a look around and said 'you need to fix your recruitment'. He's nothing but a myth.

Last edited:
Henry will surely be gone unless they do well in the first 10 weeks otherwise I am sure a caretaker coach will be appointed.

RE Gould he'd be crazy to coach again would shatter his reputation and commentary career if he didnt get the job done, and his right he hasnt coached in a decade which is a long time awa from the game.

Didgi

Henry's got 4 years to go on his contract I think. I doubt we'll sack him after a year and a half of a 5 year deal.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Gould has made millions out of convincing people who don't listen well or have long memories that he is a coaching genius.

Don't hold your breath waiting for him to do anything that may potentially dispel that myth.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Gould has made millions out of convincing people who don't listen well or have long memories that he is a coaching genius.

Don't hold your breath waiting for him to do anything that may potentially dispel that myth.
Phil Gould is one of the best coaches of the modern era. And he has the best footy mind in the game. He's the only commentator who has worthwhile things to say.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Phil Gould is one of the best coaches of the modern era. And he has the best footy mind in the game. He's the only commentator who has worthwhile things to say.
You truly are deluded. One of the best coaches of the modern era, yes if this was 1990. Best footy mind in the game - as other posters have said he is the master of hindsight and pushing his own barrow. Best commentator - P. Sterling makes Gould look like Ben Ikin and Ben Ikin makes roadkill look like 5 star dining. Nuff said.

Talanexor

Juniors

Like "No, no, no, no, no"?

"Jamal Idris is the biggest human being I've ever seen"?

I hated the pr*ck before, thought he might have something useful to contribute when I heard he was being brought in as a consultant, then I read the rubbish he said - and went right back to hating the pr*ck!

He could have done any number of things:

Scoped out some of the junior talent and discussed the best ways to bring these guys up to first grade standard.

Re-organised our training sessions to ensure that weaknesses were exposed, and fixed, before next season begins.

Offered some ideas with regards to defensive patterns and set plays.

Talked with Neil Henry about how to keep the players motivated, and give them a thirst to win (too many players were just going through the motions last season, and Henry has a reputation as a tactician, not an inspirational kind of coach).

Instead, he swans around Townsville for a few hours, tells us we're recruiting too many over-the hill players, then pisses off back to Sydney!

I think NSW fans should consider themselves lucky he's not coaching them again if that's the best he has to offer these days.