What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould signs for 4 more years

soc123_au

Staff member
Good articals. My concern was always that he would jump ship early. It appears the fear was unfounded.

chrisD

Coach
Things look good on paper but it might have been worth seeing how it plays out on the field this season first.

Great news for Penrith. I'm a Tigers fan but a Penrith local for 20 years, and have always liked seeing them do well. Hopefully Gus and Cleary can initiate and maintain a winning culture at the club.

hardbaby

Coach
Yep. You boys should be super proud of the direction your team and club is moving. Now it's time to find some members. These things are cyclical and you need to take the opportunities when they come. In the long term that means members. Such a huge footy-mad demographic about to have a ruck vein of success. Now is the time to lock in the next generation of fanatic supporters.

Phil Gould commits to Penrith Panthers for another four years

Penrith have received an enormous boost on the eve of the NRL season, after Phil Gould committed to the club until the end of 2017.
The Panthers chief revealed on Monday he could not walk away from the players and coaches he had recruited to rebuild a club that was on its knees less than three years ago.
“I've asked a number of people to join our club — coaches, players and management — over the last 18 months,” Gould said. “They've all shown great confidence in what we were doing and they joined in good faith, so I can't really walk away from them until we've spent a fair bit of time together. The chairman, Don Feltis, and his board have been wonderful.
“They approached me about staying around until the end of 2017. We shall continue to develop everything we've put in place over the last couple of years."
Having orchestrated a complete turnaround at the club, on and off the field, there was a strong belief Gould would walk away with the job all but finished.
A former premiership-winning coach with the Panthers in 1991, Gould became involved in May 2011 as the club faced enormous salary cap and financial pressures.
He triggered an immediate reshuffle of the playing roster that squeezed out Petero Civoniceva, Michael Jennings and Luke Lewis. He also convinced Warriors coach Ivan Cleary to come on board to replace the dumped Matt Elliott, and most recently secured the signature of representative centre Jamal Idris from the Gold Coast.
Last year, the Panthers' National Youth Competition team won the premiership, and Gould said: "The next first-grade side will come from within the club."
Perhaps of greater significance, though, was his ability to convince good friend and billionaire James Packer to give the Panthers Group a loan, as it came within days of liquidation with debts of $90million.
"The club was in a precarious position," Gould said. "If it wasn't for the board making tough decisions, who knows what might've happened. The best signing we've made is [Panthers Group chief executive] Warren Wilson."
Gould also came on board as the AFL launched a direct raid on western Sydney through the newly created GWS Giants. Having lobbied all three levels of government, he has secured important rugby league and community infrastructure for his club and Sydney's west.
"There's a lot of work being done at Penrith, on many levels, over the next few years," Gould said. "The building of our NRL academy and the Western Sydney Community and Sports Centre over the next two seasons will see $80million worth of sporting and community facilities on our precinct at Panthers, which is in conjunction with a number of other building operations around the licensed premises, so it's an exciting time with the club.
"By 2017, Crown's $10million investment in a training and education facility will then be completed. We've introduced a number of projects in the last couple of seasons that have us well placed for the future. The extension of my stay by the board of directors is an invitation to work even harder than we have for the last couple of years. We will achieve our goal of making the Panthers the No.1 sporting franchise in the country."

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...rs-for-another-four-years-20140127-31j0g.html

Last edited:
and the other article.

Phil Gould: Everything we do from now on is about winning
After three years of unpopular decisions that resulted in a complete overhaul of the club, on and off the field, Phil Gould has decided to stay at Penrith until the end of 2017. Now he's talking premierships.
Andrew Webster: Every indication you've given in the last year or so is that your time at Penrith would end sooner than later. What's changed?
Phil Gould: Just how far we've come, and what we've put in place. I've asked a number of people to join our club – coaches, players and management – over the last 18 months. They've all shown confidence in us and joined in good faith, so I can't really walk away from them until we've spent a fair bit of time together. It's all looking really good. I'm really happy with how the club is placed at the moment. The fact our board of directors will be returned unopposed at the next election is also a vote of confidence in what they're doing. Our junior development systems are in place, and are the best in rugby league – certainly the best I've seen at Penrith in my time over the last 35 years. Winning the NYC competition last year was huge for our club and district. We're seeing the benefits of that in recruitment and the young players coming through. I honestly believe our NRL teams for 2015-17 are now in the building. The next three years is about bringing these talented kids through to NRL level to play with the experienced players we have recruited. We've had several high-profile, quality players join our club over the last 12 months. That's a vote of confidence. We've extended the contracts of the coaching staff. All looks good.
AW: When you took over in May 2011, did you envisage the club being where it is now?
PG: Not this quickly, no. We've worked really hard. It's not just about rugby league. The majority of my work has been anything but rugby league, but it's the football that sells the Panthers brand. It sells our club. No, I thought it would take a lot longer to get to this point, so that's good.
AW: You were days away from having no club at all, because of crippling debt.

PG: The best signing we've made is [Panthers Group chief executive] Warren Wilson. I don't know where we'd be without Warren and his guidance and expertise sorting out the issues Panthers Group had. It's all just been hard work and perseverance.
AW: What about your footy side?
PG: I'm pleasantly surprised with how far we've come in a short space of time.
AW: Are you thinking premierships?
PG: Well, to be honest, that's all we're thinking about now. We had a lot of work to do to clean up the football program. We've been in a rebuilding phase for the last couple of years. There were some difficult times in the early days, but you have to go through a little bit of pain to get where we are now. As I've said to the players, the thing about Penrith now is that we're not in this competition to make up the numbers. We're not even in it to run second. Everything we do from now on is about winning. That's what we're chasing: being the best and most consistent sporting franchises in the country. We're in a position to set off on that course now.
AW: When you talked about becoming the strongest sporting brand in the country, it was easily dismissed as hyperbole. Did you genuinely believe it?
PG: I've believed it for 35 years at Penrith. I guess other people have said it in the past, but the proper foundations weren't put in place to make it possible. The foundations we're putting in place, the facilities we're building, the programs we've got, our relationship with the community, I have no doubt that we can be the biggest and the best in the next 10 years. We had to go through what we went through in the last two seasons to put ourselves in a position to do that.
AW: Has your role changed?
PG: It's hard to define my job. I'm really just a consultant to the club, on a number of issues. My role for Penrith is hard to describe. It's been very much out of my comfort zone, but I'm glad I've done it and been through it. The most exciting times are ahead for the club. I really believe that. We represent such a large area. The Penrith junior league runs from Blacktown to Katoomba, and the Hawkesbury down to Wallacia. Why wouldn't you want the rugby league franchise that represents that area to be the No. 1 sporting franchise in the country? There's no excuse for it not to be. And we will be.
AW: And what about Greater Western Sydney and the AFL? Is that battle over?
PG: For me, the battle is about us being the best we can be. I'm confident that while we are the best we can be, rugby league can be the premier sport in western Sydney.
AW: Michael Jennings and Luke Lewis left this club on your watch. Do you regret those departures?
PG: People call them tough decisions when they were the right decision for the time. All those people are in a better place and so are we. They're the tough decisions we had to make, given where the club was at the time and where we want to be in the future.
AW: Did the fans ever waver in their support for what you were doing? Did anyone ever express their concerns?
PG: I've never actually heard any criticism or negativity. Any negativity comes from people in the media who want to stir up that type of sentiment. The vast majority of intelligent people have been supportive and well-informed on where we are going. And they're now starting to see what it's all about.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...m-now-on-is-about-winning-20140127-31j0j.html

Bulldogsfan74

Juniors
I personally hope he does a decent job for you guys!

Something tells me there's still an old skeleton in the closet and a hidden agenda back from when he pissed you all away for the Roosters right after he coached you to your first premiership

murraymob

Coach
I personally hope he does a decent job for you guys!

Something tells me there's still an old skeleton in the closet and a hidden agenda back from when he pissed you all away for the Roosters right after he coached you to your first premiership

you need to do a little research before you post.He left for the roosters for money plain and simple.He was coach at penrith with no say .He now has full controll of football operations .Big difference

franklin2323

Immortal
Good articals. My concern was always that he would jump ship early. It appears the fear was unfounded.

Nah he's stubborn there was no way he was going early.

My concern was did he have the guts to make the big call with underperforming staff. I have the same questions about the coach. Never had a team in top 4 etc. Seems hesitant to drop players.

He has mates allround him sure qualified in their roles but if they need firing will he do it? No finals this year coach should be under pressure. Will he is the question.

Pomoz

Bench
Nah he's stubborn there was no way he was going early.

My concern was did he have the guts to make the big cal..... I have the same questions about the coach. Never had a team in top 4 etc. Seems hesitant to drop players.
Franklin, are you serious? Did he not drop Jennings, our best player? Did he not take the captaincy off Lewis? The evidence points to the opposite.

I think making big calls is the least of his problems. You mistake your disagreement with his choice of players, as a sign of him being afraid to drop them. He may make the wrong player choices, but only time will tell if his judgement is poor in that regard. When you break down all the elements that make a great coach, spotting, selecting and coaching good players would have to be the most important. The other leadership elements you allude to, dealing with under-performance and misbehaviour are also important, but you have to be able to spot and nurture talent or you are making "big calls" on mediocre players.

I think spotting and selecting the best talent, is the biggest question mark. Has he got the eye for it? He has got the balls to drop and discipline players without a doubt.

darkbloom

Juniors
you need to do a little research before you post.He left for the roosters for money plain and simple.He was coach at penrith with no say .He now has full controll of football operations .Big difference

He was coach with no say??? You are kidding.

The bottom line is this - the club will be very well served on the field under his guidance because he knows football better than anyone.

The big question is how much will this cost and will it be sustainable. He is a noted spendthrift when it comes to Rugby League. Let's see what this year's annual report shows, It should be out soon.

franklin2323

Immortal
Franklin, are you serious? Did he not drop Jennings, our best player? Did he not take the captaincy off Lewis? The evidence points to the opposite.

I think making big calls is the least of his problems. You mistake your disagreement with his choice of players, as a sign of him being afraid to drop them. He may make the wrong player choices, but only time will tell if his judgement is poor in that regard. When you break down all the elements that make a great coach, spotting, selecting and coaching good players would have to be the most important. The other leadership elements you allude to, dealing with under-performance and misbehaviour are also important, but you have to be able to spot and nurture talent or you are making "big calls" on mediocre players.

I think spotting and selecting the best talent, is the biggest question mark. Has he got the eye for it? He has got the balls to drop and discipline players without a doubt.

He also took the captaincy off Price at Warriors (Who like Lewis was highly paid) so other reasons could of been behind that. Jennings was re-instated quickly on limited form. Walsh similarly dropped did not much to return.

Not once did they finish top 4 over there so to me he lacks the ruthlessness or other words is a bastard to be a top coach. What did Kingston do on the field to gain a new contract? He's a nice guy granted but surplus to needs this season.

Doomednow

Bench
I think Kingston was a charity signing. In any case he'll do a good enough job in the Wolves. I liked the comment about negativity on the media. Pretty obvious who that was referring to.

This is great news. I remember when armchair experts thought Gould coming to Penrith was a big joke. How wrong they turned out to be.

ACTPanthers

Bench
What did Kingston do on the field to gain a new contract? He's a nice guy granted but surplus to needs this season.

Making over 1000 tackles in a season would probably do it... I dont care what anyone says, Kev earned his contract - I'm not saying he will or should be playing in 1st grade but definitley earned another year to mentor the younger guys

Pomoz

Bench
What did Kingston do on the field to gain a new contract? He's a nice guy granted but surplus to needs this season.
It is only my opinion, but I thought he played well enough to earn a contract and is a great depth hooker while the young players continue to develop. Whether he s a good signing depends on how much his contract was for. This is all subjective, you or I will never agree on who the best players are, or with the coaches selections. In the end, it is all about results. As you say, he never got the Warriors in the top 4, but he did make the semi's 2 or 3 years in a row and he got the team to a grand final. The club also become strong in all three grades under his guidance, something that seems is being repeated at the Panthers.

Again, it is only subjective, but the players he inherited from Elliot seemed to play better football under Cleary. For some of the journeyman like Clint Newton and crowd favourite Ciraldo, that's not saying much I know.

Thanks for the other example of Cleary dropping Price. It sort of underlines my point about making the big calls. He can do that, but can he spot and develop talent?