What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould

greeneyed

First Grade
Phil Gould shouldn't be a commentator while he is an employee of a club. It is called conflict of interest, and he uses one position to advance his club. I actually find it hard to believe that Channel 9 thinks he is a positive for their coverage, as he is so intensely disliked by everyone but Roosters supporters ie the vast bulk of the audience.....

I understand him being biased... but it's the way he continually raves on... he's eyes glaze over and he doesn't take a breath for five minutes as he raves about why the roosters are actually on-side (when they're not) or the salary cap or whatever. It's the fact that's he relentless... and has a big fat head anyone would like to punch. :p

pmack17

Juniors
I personally think Phil Gould is 1 of the most educated RL coaches/commentators/personalities in RL.

The guy is awesome. He may be biased towards the Roosters + controversial but at the end of the day- he knows RL better than anyone.

I learn something new about RL every time i watch an NRL game & i have watched RL for 22 years and would profess to knowing the game inside out.

His ability to depict areas of weakness/strengths in each team is outstanding. He outshines Peter Sterling who is also up there with the best of them.

Channel 9 have an awesome 1st choice panel. You Aussies obviously dont know a good commentator when you hear 1.

izzo

Juniors
"ah i hate the video ref blah blah blah"

gould we hate you your more annoying and incorrect than the video ref will ever be

but we cant get rid of you unless nine have a selected commentary section on digital

dimitri

First Grade
izzo said:
"ah i hate the video ref blah blah blah"

gould we hate you your more annoying and incorrect than the video ref will ever be

but we cant get rid of you unless nine have a selected commentary section on digital

if only they did

Razor

Coach
and also won a comp with easts

Since when.

He has won 2 comps. Neither with the Roosters. With Penrith and the Dogs.

beating a team that comes from a state of 2m with a state of 6m is hard)

You're figures are wrong. QLD has more than 2mil. And Gould only lost 1 series as Origin coach. Outside him QLD have won the majority.

Razor

Coach
pmack17 said:
I personally think Phil Gould is 1 of the most educated RL coaches/commentators/personalities in RL.

The guy is awesome. He may be biased towards the Roosters + controversial but at the end of the day- he knows RL better than anyone.

I learn something new about RL every time i watch an NRL game & i have watched RL for 22 years and would profess to knowing the game inside out.

His ability to depict areas of weakness/strengths in each team is outstanding. He outshines Peter Sterling who is also up there with the best of them.

Channel 9 have an awesome 1st choice panel. You Aussies obviously dont know a good commentator when you hear 1.

Agree with everything you say. By far the most talented commentator in the game.

Think Gould's biased? Listen to Lazarus, and Bombolas sometime

Kris_man

Bench
Razor said:
Think Gould's biased? Listen to Lazarus, and Bombolas sometime
haha, but the thing is, no-one listens to those losers, in fact, i don't even know the guys you're talking about. is that glenn lazarus? people listen to gould, he has far more power than these other bums, and therefore he has more repsonsiblity. A slave cannot serve two masters. slavery was abloished many years ago, but the principle still holds...

drake

First Grade
Seriously, Phil has, and will continue to use the media to push agendas that he feels are wrong. I'm sick of him, and it has gotten worse over the years. At some stages he raves like a lunatic.
He has completely lost what gives a media person credibilty: objectivity.

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:
is that glenn lazarus?

Yes commentates the Broncos games with Bombolas, and others when Channel 9 Sydney doesn't do the Broncos match.

The difference is that they are commentating for a select audience, Broncos fans. It's like the New Zealand SkyTV commentary team, they are openly biased towards the Warriors as that is the audience that they are targeting.

Phil Gould on the other hand commentates on games intended for a national audience and thus should be scrapped as he has an obvious conflict of interest as he is employed by the Roosters. Same goes for the Chief as I believe he is on the Newcastle board.

m0j0

Bench
Yeah, great idea. Let's get rid of Gould as a commentator. He's far too biased. In fact, so is Fatty, Sterlo and Chief. Matty and Joey are also biased towards Newcastle - get rid of them. What we really need is a commentary team that has no prior involvement or interest in rugby league....a real bunch of stiffs that have no passion - that way we can be certain there is no bias in our commentary.

For the record, I don't like Gould's commentary either but the level of hatred some of you exhibit borders on obsessive. I'm just thankful our firearm legislation is so strict. I'd imagine a lot of you would fit in well in the U.S. postal service.

hrundi99

First Grade
Eskimo Sharkie said:
Then there was Ricketson's professional foul on a run away Phil Graham. The game was well and truly over by then but old Bee Sting face says absolutely nothing on that disgraceful effort. Canberra players were livid that Ricketson wasn't binned and that was certainly a lot worse than Schifcofske's offence in the first half.

He was cheesed off about Choc's effort against the Roosters but he was laughing aboyt Ricko's effort for the Roosters.

He's a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

His aversion to the video ref in certain situations is also illogical.

Hegarty's bat back was a lot closer to a knock on than first seemed obvious yet he's willing to not bother with it for the "flow of the game" or something. If you look at where it came off Hegarty's hands and the angle, and then where it landed, it was fairly close.

Ridiculous. If it's a possible try against the Roosters he'd be asking for the video ref.

To hear his comments and then see him whispering in Stuart's ear 30 seconds later was unprofessional.

Commentate or advise your coach. One or the other.

hrundi99

First Grade
m0j0 said:
Yeah, great idea. Let's get rid of Gould as a commentator. He's far too biased. In fact, so is Fatty, Sterlo and Chief. Matty and Joey are also biased towards Newcastle - get rid of them. What we really need is a commentary team that has no prior involvement or interest in rugby league....a real bunch of stiffs that have no passion - that way we can be certain there is no bias in our commentary.

I used to think Fatty was biased, but at least he does it with a sense of humour.

He's got nothing on Gould.