What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philippines vs Thailand

girvie

Staff member
Andrew Everingham from the Rabbitohs and Matt Srama and Kevin Gordon from the Titans will be representing the Philippines

http://nospam18.com/international-r...ing-for-the-philippines-national-rugby-league

More good news was received by the Philippines National Rugby League (PNRL) in July, with Andrew Everingham of the South Sydney Rabbitohs confirming that he is available to represent the Philippines in its first Rugby League international against Thailand in October.

This was a great result for PNRL Head coach Clayton Watene and Assistant Coach Mark De Ubago, as well as PNRL Manager Tom Simpson, who all contacted Andrew and convinced him to represent the Philippines in its inaugural international Rugby League test match.

This means that all the current Filipino-Heritage National Rugby League (NRL) players will be representing the Philippines. With Andrew Everingham joining Matt Srama and Kevin Gordon of the Gold Coast Titans in the Philippines Rugby League side.

The PNRL would like to thank the management of the Gold Coast Titans and South Sydney Rabbitohs for releasing their NRL stars.

Andrew will be joined by his brother Chris Everingham in the national side who is currently in the Philippines playing for the Alabang Eagles Rugby club. Both brothers will replace Shane Gray and Warren Hall who have pulled out from the initial squad due to family commitments.

With the Everingham brothers joining the team, there will now be six sets of brothers playing in the Philippines Rugby League side; with Steven and Sam Bernstrom, William and Jason Dreves, Kevin and Dennis Gordon, Jake and Edward Smith and finally Matt and Luke Srama.

All selected to represent the Philippines are eager to play against Thailand this coming October and going to the Philippines to develop Rugby League. This was evident in the early hours of Sunday morning on the 22nd of July with Filipino Rugby League players not playing for their clubs traveling from as far away as the Northern Beaches, Penrith and Kellyville to train with PNRL Assistant Coach Mark De Ubago at the Cabramatta Rugby Leagues Club.

mattystans000

Juniors
Who is playing for Thailand? No Thais, that's for sure.

For someone who apparently only just found out yesterday that Thailand has an organisation actively involved in growing the game outside Australia into their own country, you sure do seem to claim to know a lot about the entire make up of an as yet un-named national team line up... Your name seems quite appropriate right now. Give them & rugby league a chance, stop with delivering the death-knell before a ball is even kicked!...

Knownothing

Juniors
For someone who apparently only just found out yesterday that Thailand has an organisation actively involved in growing the game outside Australia into their own country, you sure do seem to claim to know a lot about the entire make up of an as yet un-named national team line up... Your name seems quite appropriate right now. Give them & rugby league a chance, stop with delivering the death-knell before a ball is even kicked!...

I do know a fair bit about sport in Thailand, actually. Possibly more than you do. I have an open mind, so please enlighten me. How many games of rugby league (full, 13-a-side games) have actually been played in Thailand? When and where were the games played, and how many Thais were actually on the field?

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I can't see any point in obtaining the likes of Andrew Everingham, Luke Srama and Kevin Gordon with a game against Thailand. It's likely to deter the Thai players rather than encourage them if they get lapped by a team full of experienced players.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Lets hope this is just the start of RL being played consistently in both these places by locals and others, best of luck to all involved.

paulmac

Juniors
Thailand do seem to be under the pump in this match.I think the USA would of been an ideal opponent given that there is a big naval presence and Phillipines is almost a colony of the states.The match up would also be a good contest.

mattystans000

Juniors
I do know a fair bit about sport in Thailand, actually. Possibly more than you do. I have an open mind, so please enlighten me. How many games of rugby league (full, 13-a-side games) have actually been played in Thailand? When and where were the games played, and how many Thais were actually on the field?
I'll openly admit that I do not have an intimate knowledge of the game in Thailand, however I can say I was well aware of the plans for this international being made well over half a year ago now i'd say. So I have been aware that Thailand has been the planned opponent for the Phillipines team for a long while.

If you do have some knowledge of the games status there, i would be interested to hear it for my interest in the game abroad. But also would like to understand why this news came as a surprise to you as well?

Knownothing

Juniors
If you do have some knowledge of the games status there, i would be interested to hear it for my interest in the game abroad. But also would like to understand why this news came as a surprise to you as well?

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a serious game of 13 a-side rugby league in Thailand. A handful of schools play rugby union, and there is a very small senior rugby union competition.

I have asked around, and nobody, but nobody, has any knowledge of this game.

mattystans000

Juniors
To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a serious game of 13 a-side rugby league in Thailand. A handful of schools play rugby union, and there is a very small senior rugby union competition.

I have asked around, and nobody, but nobody, has any knowledge of this game.
Okay, well it seems we both have a similar level of knowledge of the games progress in Thailand then. I can't make any claims about there being any full 13aside games having been played, but with news of this international, and with knowledge of a governing body being in existence for the last 1-2yrs, which has had contact with the proactive PNRL organisation, we can't rule out such an occurance completely on the basis of no news having been reported on it. (Not the same as saying RL may or may not exist on the moon, cos there's a fb page called Moon RL and we're still waiting for news).

But moving on, in a nation of population: 66m, I don't think you can conclusively say there will be no Thailand guys playing for Thailand because you've asked around. Don't get me wrong, to your credit you have tried to seek out info on them from sources most of us don't have, but even then, if they're not from around the Pattaya area where their planned 9s tournament is to happen, I don't think you're going to get many hints or clues about the games status there.

And finally, would you say that having found that nobody you know, knows about the game there to be any different historically to the same claims made about RL nations like Germany, Norway, Sweden, Serbia, etc when they all first took the first steps towards setting up the game, establishing themselves, and playing their inaugural internationals?

Knownothing

Juniors
And finally, would you say that having found that nobody you know, knows about the game there to be any different historically to the same claims made about RL nations like Germany, Norway, Sweden, Serbia, etc when they all first took the first steps towards setting up the game, establishing themselves, and playing their inaugural internationals?

I lived and and worked in Thailand for four years. Apart from anything else, the climate is not conducive to playing any kind of contact sports. The average Thai is a lot smaller and slighter than the average German, Norwegian, etc etc.

I suppose there would be a few expatriates who would play in a friendly match, there might be a Thai rugby union player or two who would be interested, but it is seems wrong to call a pick up match an international.

Knownothing

Juniors
Mascord mentioned this game in his column. He says that he is going to be at the match.

When, and where, will it be played?

Knownothing

Juniors
Apparently a date has been set, 20th October. However, no ground has been secured, and from what I have heard, no grounds are available.

The Thai team has been sourced from rugby union players at some of the universities, allegedly.

If this match goes ahead, which seems unlikely at the time of writing, it will be a massacre.

Apparently a date has been set, 20th October. However, no ground has been secured, and from what I have heard, no grounds are available.

The Thai team has been sourced from rugby union players at some of the universities, allegedly.

If this match goes ahead, which seems unlikely at the time of writing, it will be a massacre.
Any source for the Thailand squad? Philippines should win this by at least 150 or they might even break the record for points scored in a rugby league game.

Latest posts