What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phillip Hughes has passed away at the age of 25

some11

Referee
At first I thought what a bizzare injury but then realised the kinetic energy of a ball moving that fast to the back of the neck/head is probably the same as falling over backwards and hitting head first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidural_hematoma

On February 20, 1998, 38 year-old Indian cricketer Raman Lamba was hit on the head by a cricket ball while fielding without a helmet. Although Lamba walked off the field and the injury did not appear to be serious at the time, he slipped into a coma on the day of the injury and then succumbed to internal hemorrhage three days later.[15]
Not good :doubt:

Last edited:

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
GW here,

What gets me the most is when people sy stuff like "he will get through this, he is a fighter" "or hes tough he can beat it"

Thats not how it works. Willpower plays no part. hes a small bloke with a small cranium.

Dont get me wrong im devastated as he is my favourite aussie player, but these comments dont help.

No one will ever know, what helps people get out of these things, but it's always nice to believe that strong fighting spirit helps, it's happened many times in the past.

TheParraboy

Staff member
GW here,

What gets me the most is when people sy stuff like "he will get through this, he is a fighter" "or hes tough he can beat it"

Thats not how it works. Willpower plays no part. hes a small bloke with a small cranium.

Dont get me wrong im devastated as he is my favourite aussie player, but these comments dont help.

wtf

what an insensitive post

age.s

First Grade
At first I thought what a bizzare injury but then realised the kinetic energy of a ball moving that fast to the back of the neck/head is probably the same as falling over backwards and hitting head first.

The other notable examples of epidural hematomas spent some time conscious and not receiving treatment. Hughes went down quicker but received much quicker treatment. No Idea whether that's all good or bad but surely the spspeed with which he received treatment is a positive.

Anyway echo the thoughts of the posters who aren't complete f**kwads. Deeply disturbing and really hope the poor blokes ok.

El Diablo

Post Whore

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...cket-is-a-dangerous-game-20141125-11tq5w.html

Phil Hughes incident reminds us that cricket is a dangerous game

Date
November 25, 2014 - 6:26PM

Malcolm Knox
Sports columnist

What we never see are the professional batsman's everyday bruises, the welts and grazes and cuts and deep purple contusions. Because nobody outside the changing room witnesses what happens to an average batsman's body on an average day facing fast bowling, the spectator might forget what a cricket ball can do.

Players know, and it is a shame that the machismo of elite sport places a veil of secrecy over the ever-present dangers they face. When Peter Lever hit Ewen Chatfield on the temple with a bouncer in 1975 and brought him unconscious to the ground, the Englishman burst into tears. Chatfield had swallowed his tongue, and it was only the quick thinking of English physiotherapist Bernard Thomas to clear his throat and give him a heart massage that saved Chatfield from becoming the first fatality on a Test ground.

There is fear at both ends of the pitch. Sean Abbott must have been ashen when he saw what had happened to Phillip Hughes at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Tuesday. When Lever visited Chatfield in hospital, Chatfield said, 'He looked worse than I did.'

But when near-death can be turned, in retrospect, into a good story, it affords a distraction and masks the seriousness of the consequences. Playing his hundredth Test match, Justin Langer was knocked out by a bouncer from Makhaya Ntini. The story of how Langer wanted to go out and bat in the second innings but was stopped by his captain Ricky Ponting ? and of how Langer said the friendship was not as important as the Test match ? added to the mythology of the game, but it also concealed the honour and good sense in Ponting's actions. Even in the time of helmets, a cricket ball is a lethal missile. Friendship was more important than the Test match.

When we think of Vivian Richards, what do we say about him batting without a helmet against Lillee and Thomson, Imran, Willis, Lawson and McDermott, not to mention a few slippery West Indians in domestic cricket? We marvel at the skill, the arrogance, the courage. We say little about the sheer stupidity. The great batsman got away with it, but the most eloquent statement about the example Richards set has been made by all those thousands of batsmen who have opted not to follow it.

A helmet, as we already knew, is no guarantee. Protective padding has improved. Guards of all kinds are worn. Pitches are flatter. The age of lightning-fast bowlers has gone. Retired cricketers in commentary booths turn fear into funny stories, so that you would never know how often they were shaking to their bones. For whole seasons, cricket seems safe and soft.

Words can do little to express the cricket community's concern and goodwill for Hughes. The rarity of serious injuries, and the desire of batsmen to mask their wounds and hide their fear, insulates us all from the fundamental fact that cricket is a dangerous game. Many disagree with compulsory helmets in junior cricket, arguing against the harmful effects of helmets on batting technique. Bad technique or a bad head injury? Little choice, really.

What speaks louder than words are the garden-variety bruises, the X-rays showing the bones that are cracked and chipped and crushed on a daily basis. Like success and failure on the scoreboard, escaping injury is, to an underappreciated degree, a matter of luck. The threat of harm is the price of sport, but it is a price that is not shared equally.

Wizardman

First Grade
GW here,

A family mans life is very much in the balance here. Feel free to be a merkin in match threads but not here.

steggz

Juniors
Had an interesting convo with my wife tonight about whether this will bring about a redesign of cricket helmets. It's a freak accident, for it to miss bat, grill and helmet.

That footage of him looking shaky on his feet and then just dropping is terrible to see. Praying.

some11

Referee
No Idea whether that's all good or bad but surely the spspeed with which he received treatment is a positive.

Absolutely, I know it's wikipedia but the prognosis for this injury is a positive one:

In TBI patients with epidural hematomas, prognosis is better if there was a lucid interval (a period of consciousness before coma returns) than if the patient was comatose from the time of injury.[14] Unlike most forms of TBI, people with epidural hematoma and a Glasgow Coma Score of 15 (the highest score, indicating the best prognosis) are expected to make a good outcome if they can receive surgery quickly.[14]

Danish

Referee
wtf

what an insensitive post

To be fair, to people who have lost a loved one to disease or some other equally devastating situation, talk about people surviving being true fighters and strong are what seem insensitive. Can sound like their loved one is being called weak for not pulling through. I know I had my share of arguments with people on te subject after my mum died of melanoma.

I got over it though by realising that the absolutely obvious thing to understand is its just a coping mechanism for the people saying it. We need to believe Hughes had a better chance pulling through because he is a strong willed bloke. Makes us feel better.

Hope he pulls through. Makes me feel sick to think about any other possibility. They were talking about the possibility of banning the short ball outright on sports today this afternoon. Honestly I would find it hard to disagree if he doesn't make it

GW.

Juniors
A family mans life is very much in the balance here. Feel free to be a merkin in match threads but not here.

Sorry if it came across like that.

I just dont want people to rely on false pretenses and invest in ways that can really help.

The whole thing is making me ill. It makes me want to give up the game myself.

GW.

Juniors
To be fair, to people who have lost a loved one to disease or some other equally devastating situation, talk about people surviving being true fighters and strong are what seem insensitive. Can sound like their loved one is being called weak for not pulling through. I know I had my share of arguments with people on te subject after my mum died of melanoma.

I got over it though by realising that the absolutely obvious thing to understand is its just a coping mechanism for the people saying it. We need to believe Hughes had a better chance pulling through because he is a strong willed bloke. Makes us feel better.

Hope he pulls through. Makes me feel sick to think about any other possibility. They were talking about the possibility of banning the short ball outright on sports today this afternoon. Honestly I would find it hard to disagree if he doesn't make it

Thanks for the support.

Just to add - one of the worst things you can say to someone who is battling cancer etc is 'you are handling it so well- you are so strong etc"

The reason is what if they cant be strong?
What if they are on the verge of breaking down?

Its added pressure to keep up an appearance.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Had an interesting convo with my wife tonight about whether this will bring about a redesign of cricket helmets. It's a freak accident, for it to miss bat, grill and helmet.

That footage of him looking shaky on his feet and then just dropping is terrible to see. Praying.

there have been a few similar to Hughes it's just that nobody was hurt like this

balls even somehow manage to get through the gap in the grill and helmet

unbreaK

Juniors
Man, this is horrible, I've always had a massive soft spot for PJ, love his technique and style of batting, could watch him play those cut shots all day.

Really hope he gets through this, we're all praying for you Phil.

This incident is a clear reminder that in the end cricket is just a game and that life itself is precious.The comment from the fox reporter is not only inappropriate but incredibly insensitive,Phil's well being is all that is relevant at this time.

Wizardman

First Grade
Sorry if it came across like that.

I just dont want people to rely on false pretenses and invest in ways that can really help.

The whole thing is making me ill. It makes me want to give up the game myself.

Well, sorry for referring to you in a negative way. Praying for a full recovery.

Someone

Bench

I went through junior ranks without ever wearing a helmet because I just didn't feel comfortable. I was never really forced to. I also never had a proper coach so I was never taught technique on how to handle short deliveries.

About two months ago (start of this season) I called it quits on Cricket, it was a mixture of a lot of things, the heat mainly, but I was becoming completely anxious every delivery because i felt it could happen to me at any stage. I only play in a small local comp that is, if you ask the players, 'just fun', but they still bowl bouncers that whiz past my head.

from a starting age, Helmets should be compulsory or bouncers should be canned.

Im wishing Hughes all the best, a great talent and im sure he'll pull through.

blaza88z

Coach
they'll never can the bouncer, as a bowler it's your way of putting fear into a batsman

of course you're never trying to concuss the batsman, you just don't want him camping on his front foot

Green River Eel

Juniors
I went through junior ranks without ever wearing a helmet because I just didn't feel comfortable. I was never really forced to. I also never had a proper coach so I was never taught technique on how to handle short deliveries.

About two months ago (start of this season) I called it quits on Cricket, it was a mixture of a lot of things, the heat mainly, but I was becoming completely anxious every delivery because i felt it could happen to me at any stage. I only play in a small local comp that is, if you ask the players, 'just fun', but they still bowl bouncers that whiz past my head.

from a starting age, Helmets should be compulsory or bouncers should be canned.

Im wishing Hughes all the best, a great talent and im sure he'll pull through.

''can the bouncer'' talk about knee jerk reaction, why dont we ban over arm bowling, fek me theres always somebody that wants to sterilise the world.
Maybe we could ban people driving cars, theres hundreds of brain injuries every week in the country on our roads.