What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pic for you from a shark

carcharias

Immortal
i love these old pics and beer come to think of it. enjoy
para.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Boy does that bring back some mameries.

Looks more like and Rugby line out than a game of RL.

Pricey, Edge, The Bear, and ...........the last guys name is on the tip of my tongue.

I'll think of it as soon a I post this.

yy_cheng

Coach
For the young 'uns

They used to do all sorts of weird stuff. I don't know what it was called, I think it was the wedge, the parra player would be tackled near the try line. When he played the ball to the dummy half, a pack of forwards in the form of a scrum/wedge would push the dummy half over to score.

In this shot, I think it was from a tap from a parra penalty. The parra players are all facing their own goal lines (backs to the opposition). The defence wouldn't know who had the ball and then the parra guys would break up or pass it and the defenders had to guess who had the ball. One time a doggy player (Geoff Robinson) charged straight at the wall regardless of who had the ball. I forget whether he was penalized or not for tackling a player without the ball.

I still remember watching Mighty Mick Cronin kicking goals from all over front on (toe bashing) style.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yy_cheng said:
For the young 'uns

They used to do all sorts of weird stuff. I don't know what it was called, I think it was the wedge, the parra player would be tackled near the try line. When he played the ball to the dummy half, a pack of forwards in the form of a scrum/wedge would push the dummy half over to score.

In this shot, I think it was from a tap from a parra penalty. The parra players are all facing their own goal lines (backs to the opposition). The defence wouldn't know who had the ball and then the parra guys would break up or pass it and the defenders had to guess who had the ball. One time a doggy player (Geoff Robinson) charged straight at the wall regardless of who had the ball. I forget whether he was penalized or not for tackling a player without the ball.

I still remember watching Mighty Mick Cronin kicking goals from all over front on (toe bashing) style.

I remmember that, Rugby Leagues version of the ruck and maul.

We had an innovative coach, back then.

bartman

Immortal
yy_cheng said:

This particular move was known as "the wall". The player who tapped the ball would pass it to the first player in the wall ("Pricey"), and then from there anything could happen! Would probably be penalised for obstruction or shepherd these days? Back then there was all sorts of innovation (hello Jack Gibson) before rule changes stiffled attacking play.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Yep, definitely Steve Sharp. A hard headed second rower - great defender and workhorse. PLayed back row for all grand finals I think. He used to sing Elvis songs in the dressing rooms before Grand Finals.

The wedge was used once, in the latter stages if the 1976 grand final. Much controversy raged after it was used - and it was banned shortly after.

Sterling

Juniors
PB said:
Sterling said:
and Andrew Farrer in the background.

I wonder if Mick Delroy was still standing at that stage?

:lol: :lol: ..nah...delroy wasnt around then.....it was the 86 GF that he got flattented by a head high by Farrer and the ref didnt even give a penalty...in todays game he would have gotten 8 weeks!

Latest posts